RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Subwoofer Install Pics!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-02, 01:55 AM
Jonnystan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has been stated before but I will say it again-->

Lexus built a really well sealed car. They had luxury in mind, but it makes for bangin' sound with subs. Only one problem. The wind deflector/fairing on the sunroof rattles like s***. It is the only rattle in the entire car....but it is bad. Any ideas on fixing this??
Old 08-21-02, 04:38 AM
Shonuff
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

johhny:

nice work.........glad you got it in there alright. now you gotta get the rest of them speakers done!!

as far as sq speakers image dynamics idq line is hard to beat.......they are probably one of the best overall sq/spl speakers on the market. the absolute best out there is the image dynamics id max line.................

have heard good things about the infinitys perfects as well.

for spl the kicker square solobarics put a hell of a lot of displacement out for there size...............but who needs all that??? starts to hurt after a while hehe.
Old 08-21-02, 04:45 AM
Jonnystan
Driver

I myself have never heard the Image Dynamics. I trust you that they are good. I guess until one of us has heard both sets of subs, we will never know which is better. (Frankly it doesnt matter--subs are subs---better than nothing). I am planning to get 6.1 component speakers in the front, not sure about the rears. Recommendations?
Old 08-21-02, 12:19 PM
Shonuff
Pole Position

i still have that extra set of infinity 605cs components.........fit perfect. tweeters fit into the factory location very good. got a good price on them if you want them.

most people go with coaxials for rear fill...........because that is all it is supposed to be- rear fill. i would go with an all infinity setup if i already had infinity subs.
Old 08-21-02, 03:42 PM
Jonnystan
Driver

Sho-
I am def. gonna get all infinity speakers. PM me with a price for those speakers. I want them but I have no money right now. Maybe I can scrounge some up.

Here is an update on the sunroof rattle (no one answered my question so I took matters into my own hands ). Just to refresh your memory it was the wind deflector/fairing that was rattling. First I got some black foam tape and padded all the friction points. This solved the problem when the music was playing low, but the minute I cranked the volume it rattled like a b**** again. I figured out it was the actual hinge rattling. Since there was no way to pad the hinge, I simply removed the entire fairing (4 screws). RATTLE GONE The sunroof functions just as it did before....I really dont know what that fairing is for....but who cares now my bass sounds GREEEEAAAAATTTT!!!!
Old 08-21-02, 04:10 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Jonnystan, are you're talking about the black metal piece at the front of the opening of the sunroof that popus up when you open the sunroof?

That is used to redirect air so there won't be a buffeting sound with air passing over the open hole in the roof.
Old 08-22-02, 01:33 AM
Jonnystan
Driver

OOOOO I see. Thats alright I usually drive with the sunroof tilted, not fully open. Next time I am on the road I will open it and see how much of a difference it really makes.
Old 08-22-02, 10:09 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by LexRX
Jonnystan, are you're talking about the black metal piece at the front of the opening of the sunroof that popus up when you open the sunroof?

That is used to redirect air so there won't be a buffeting sound with air passing over the open hole in the roof.
LexRX - I dunno, maybe it's worse with the sunroof air foil removed, but I still get a damned buffeting sound all the time when I have my sunroof open even though I have that air foil in place... Maybe it's this wierd Wisconsin weather? Hmmm...

Jonnystan - I don't think you'll miss it to be honest. Like I said, I get a buffeting sound anyways, and if you normally just tilt the roof, you DEFINATELY shouldn't worry about it.
Old 08-22-02, 12:03 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

CK1_RX3, one thing I've noticed about the sunroof (I've noticed the same on other Toyota/Lexus sunroofs) is that when you press the button for it to auto-open then it slides all the way back...But, you can push the button again after it stops and it will slide back a little bit further. Very odd.

If you slide it back that small amount more I get the buffeting sound, if not, everything is a-ok.

I haven't tried this on the LS, but my family's Sequoia does the same.
Old 08-22-02, 12:53 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

First, very nice work Johnny. Kudos for taking the time to teach the rest of us something new.

Second: Extra tweeters in the cabin. Never, ever do this unless they are specifically for a 4.1 (or better) surround sound system. The stock tweeters are placed up front for a reason... sound stage imaging. If you mount some arbitrary tweeters at near ear level say in the middle or rear of the car, your sound stage imaging will be totally off. The instruments will no longer sound "in front" of you. The full range speakers in the rear doors don't affect imaging because the tweets/highs are directional and mounted low enough so that they won't confuse your ears as to where the instruments are coming from.

Third: Buffeting sound with the moonroof open. Are the rear windows open also when this happens? If not, then this has been discussed time and time again folks. It's simple physics and I won't reiterate the issues.
Old 08-22-02, 02:00 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by RX300TC

Third: Buffeting sound with the moonroof open. Are the rear windows open also when this happens? If not, then this has been discussed time and time again folks. It's simple physics and I won't reiterate the issues.
Hey RX300TC - you don't have to be smug about this topic... I'm new here in the last two months, so obviously I wouldn't have been privy to this discussion in the past. Plus I wouldn't have searched for it in the forum because it's merely something I stumbled across in this thread and posted my findings on. Pardon me for trying to help.

No, the rear windows are not open when this happens, or course not... opening the rear windows is the solution to the "problem," and you're right, it is simple physics - when air in does not equal air out such as in the case of the moonroof, you're going to get buffeting... opening the rear windows obiously stabilizes this condition. You're right, simple... but there's no reason to be personally offended by the fact that it got brought up again - obviously someone didn't know about it, and that's what it seems to me this forum is for - learning new things from others, and contributing what you know to educate others.

I'm not trying to be a jerk - just trying to clarify.

Ck
Old 08-22-02, 02:44 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Well, I'm glad you answered your own question. Amazing, isn't it?
Old 08-22-02, 03:10 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Well, I'm glad you answered your own question. Amazing, isn't it?
Actually it wasn't my question - I was helping out whoever asked it in the first place... helping others - amazing, isn't it?
Old 08-22-02, 03:15 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Originally posted by CK1_RX3

Actually it wasn't my question - I was helping out whoever asked it in the first place... helping others - amazing, isn't it?
Well, I've only been here over a year and have never helped anyone out... so I wouldn't know about that.

Have fun.
Old 08-22-02, 03:19 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Well, I've only been here over a year and have never helped anyone out... so I wouldn't know about that.

Have fun.
Oh com'on now RX300TC - I'm sorry. There's no need for this - you and I both know you've helped out on many occasions, and I've not even been here that long to know that.
Let's just be friends rather than this sarcastic banter - hell, we all have something in common here right from the start - all RX owners and lovers... what better common ground to share with another guy than a love for a particular type of car. It's the classic bonding element! All right, enough of the mushy stuff - I'm off to the engine/transmission forum!

Quick Reply: Subwoofer Install Pics!!!