RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Subwoofer Install Pics!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-02, 03:33 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok... group hug.

I'll be the first to admit I'm a little edgy today... but one of my "hot buttons" is folks who don't even use the resources provided... there's a search function that works great on this site. I use it all the time when looking for answers.. and sometimes accidentally find great stuff I wasn't even looking for!

My personal opinion (which is worth ZERO since I'm not charging for it) is that folks in general need to make more of an effort in helping themselves... instead of the Jerry Springer generation that expects all the answers handed to them.

Seeing the same points getting raised over and over (wwest school of broadcasting) just discourages us old-timers with losta information from participating. It gets redundant and tedious. That's a big reason why I left Edmunds Townhall... the search function there SUCKS... and the same drivel and questions would get posted over and over and over again.

The search function on CL works great... there's no excuse for the same stuff over and over...

Heck, I even offered to do a comprehensive RX300 FAQ a long time ago... but never heard from the site owners. Oh well.
Old 08-22-02, 03:56 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by RX300TC
Ok... group hug.

I'll be the first to admit I'm a little edgy today... but one of my "hot buttons" is folks who don't even use the resources provided... there's a search function that works great on this site. I use it all the time when looking for answers.. and sometimes accidentally find great stuff I wasn't even looking for!

My personal opinion (which is worth ZERO since I'm not charging for it) is that folks in general need to make more of an effort in helping themselves... instead of the Jerry Springer generation that expects all the answers handed to them.

Seeing the same points getting raised over and over (wwest school of broadcasting) just discourages us old-timers with losta information from participating. It gets redundant and tedious. That's a big reason why I left Edmunds Townhall... the search function there SUCKS... and the same drivel and questions would get posted over and over and over again.

The search function on CL works great... there's no excuse for the same stuff over and over...

Heck, I even offered to do a comprehensive RX300 FAQ a long time ago... but never heard from the site owners. Oh well.
I wholeheartedly agree with you on the Jerry Springer generation comment (by the way, I can't even stand to expose myself to the filth of that show, but anyways)... I'm only 23 years old, but I subscribe to the philosophy that if I didn't do it/earn it myself, I don't want anything to do with it. Handouts? No thank you. Charity? Don't even think about it, I'll kick your A** for offering.

I don't mind lending a helping hand to an innocent question, especially when it just "pops" up as I think was the case here... but no need to rehash, as its water under the bridge now anyways.

When I first came to this forum a couple months ago, I didn't realize how intuitive the search funtion was on CL... Hell, I didn't even realize there was one for a couple weeks time. I now know that it is a FANTASTIC search engine, and if you can think of a question about your XXXXXX model Lexus, chances are it's already been discussed in greater detail than you even care to read. Maybe I should started a thread titled "TO ALL NEW MEMBERS, READ THIS FIRST," with content stating exactly how good the search engine here on CL is, and that it should be used as a starting point for EVERY topic.

You're right RX300TC - that is common forum ettiquette, ESPECIALLY when the forum is part of a club format such as this one (instead of a "chat" room type).

Finally RX300TC, I'd like to challenge you as an "old timer with lotsa information" to post something new here on the RX3 forum that's not been discussed. I have two reasons for the challenge: 1. It sounds like you're definately up for it and I'm eager to learn something I didn't know before; and 2. I love taking breaks in my day here at work to come to the CL forum and find a totally new topic that I hadn't found via search previously...

I'm just trying to make this whole edgy exchange between us a bit more fun! I've gotta admit I'm a bit edgy too since one of my six bosses has been in my office all week from the East Coast (I'm here in WI), and my *** has been getting both ridden and chewed for the last 4 days straight, not to mention the fact that I worked all of last weekend at a conference at Lake of the Ozarks, MO... Did I mention that I'm at 85% of my sales quota 7 months into the yeare (as of July) and I'm still getting my *** ridden and chewed? I need a vacation.
Old 08-22-02, 04:06 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

I actually feel bad (not pity mind you) for you now.... I could never do a sales job... I just don't have the patience... and I'm not extroverted enough to be able to talk to folks about things they probably don't want to buy...

You have my best wishes... I hope your hard work pays off in the end
Old 08-22-02, 04:18 PM
Jonnystan
Driver

Well I am glad you guys worked things out. I just love happy endings.

I drove around with the sunroof open and the rear windows cracked, with the wind deflector removed, and wha-lah! no buffeting or whatever you call it. If anyone has a problem with that rattle just take it out....it does nothing!
Old 08-22-02, 04:24 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

I actually feel bad (not pity mind you) for you now.... I could never do a sales job... I just don't have the patience... and I'm not extroverted enough to be able to talk to folks about things they probably don't want to buy...

You have my best wishes... I hope your hard work pays off in the end
Well thanks for the well wishes... Actually I don't like selling things people don't need or want either - that's why I've carefully chosen the company I work for and the products I sell. I'd only take a sales job where I had customers with a compelling need to buy what I was selling - that way you are more of a colleague with a consultative selling approach to match their needs perfectly with the solution you provide... is it still sales? Of course - it's just a far smarter approach and everybody walks away happy. (except when your boss is in town riding your *** to sqeeze MORE performance out of you).

So RX300TC, how about that new thread then???

Jonnystan - good findings! Ride on. (pun intended)
Old 08-22-02, 04:35 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Originally posted by CK1_RX3

So RX300TC, how about that new thread then???

Well... I'm a little reluctant because the things that really interest me tend to go over most folks heads... and I'm not being smug... whenever I discuss things about the RX300 that interest me folks eyes tend to glaze over (both virtually and in real life).

My education and experience is in electrical engineering and computer science... there are things that could be done to the RX300 if the right information freely existed... things I'm sure even the average owner would be interested in (meaning there is money to be made )

Unfortuantely, Lexus has decided to closely guard some of this info... it's beyond me why, not any of it could be considered a trade secret/advantage.

If I find the time maybe I'll throw a thread out reagrding this subject.. it would be lenghty.

But for now, I have more low-tech commitments rights now... like mowing the lawn
Old 08-22-02, 04:50 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Well... I'm a little reluctant because the things that really interest me tend to go over most folks heads... and I'm not being smug... whenever I discuss things about the RX300 that interest me folks eyes tend to glaze over (both virtually and in real life).

My education and experience is in electrical engineering and computer science... there are things that could be done to the RX300 if the right information freely existed... things I'm sure even the average owner would be interested in (meaning there is money to be made )

Unfortuantely, Lexus has decided to closely guard some of this info... it's beyond me why, not any of it could be considered a trade secret/advantage.

If I find the time maybe I'll throw a thread out reagrding this subject.. it would be lenghty.

But for now, I have more low-tech commitments rights now... like mowing the lawn
I'd love to see that type of thread if you get the time - I think there's a few others here who would appreciate/understand it too...
Now...... CUT THAT LAWN!
Old 08-22-02, 04:51 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by Jonnystan
Well I am glad you guys worked things out. I just love happy endings.

I drove around with the sunroof open and the rear windows cracked, with the wind deflector removed, and wha-lah! no buffeting or whatever you call it. If anyone has a problem with that rattle just take it out....it does nothing!
It actually does do something. It prevents the buffeting! With my sunroof open things are fine, even with all windows closed. I can push that flap down and get the buffeting sound.

Has anyone checked to see if their sunroof opens more after it has already opened "fully" automatically? I'm referring to sliding back here, not tilting up.
Old 08-22-02, 05:30 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice install...I'm still considering the Infinity Basslink, but I want to hear an install of that before I decide.
Old 08-22-02, 05:32 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by Paddy Wagon
Nice install...I'm still considering the Infinity Basslink, but I want to hear an install of that before I decide.
Sounds like me
Old 08-22-02, 05:43 PM
Jonnystan
Driver

Lex- I just drove around with the windows up and sunroof open...your right it does buffet. Small price to pay though (NO rattle=having to crack the rear windows when my sunroof is fully open.)

Also, mine does open a little further when you hit the button again. Weird! Maybe an extra 4 inches or so. wonder why it does that.

Paddy- Haha we have the opposite problem! I want to hear a Basslink to see if I need to down grade (the boomy-ness is a bit much with the two 12"s)

Last edited by Jonnystan; 08-22-02 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-22-02, 06:17 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Basslink seems like the simplest, most cost-effective solution to the OEM sub.

It's $225 for the unit (http://www.lgdsuperstore.com/basslink.html),
$20 for the remote,
shipping and installation

So, I'm guessing around $350 total...and you can take it with you.
Old 08-22-02, 06:40 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

It's a compromise Jonnystan, seems like you found a viable solution.

I like the idea of having decent bass, a simple installation, and minimal use of the cargo area. I'm thinking the basslink will fit on the very right side of the cargo area - where the small cubby is located.

Paddy Wagon, $225 is a great price compared to what I've seen the basslink priced for! I would definitely get the remote. I'm thinking that may be my next mod.
Old 08-22-02, 07:13 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by LexRX

It actually does do something. It prevents the buffeting! With my sunroof open things are fine, even with all windows closed. I can push that flap down and get the buffeting sound.

Has anyone checked to see if their sunroof opens more after it has already opened "fully" automatically? I'm referring to sliding back here, not tilting up.
Yes, you can press button again and it goes further than if you just auto open... this solves occasional buffetting, but not all the time.
Old 08-22-02, 07:19 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

So forgive me for asking without searching this time guys - I've been working my *** off and only have a few minutes... that said I have a question:
with Basslink, do you unhook the OEM sub and just run the basslink sub??? I'm really interested in this one, as I'd like more bass out of the system (although stock is okay) in the RX... plus powering your sub with a separate amp = greater efficiency within your stereo system which = better sound quality all around because it doesn' t tax the system as hard. Right?

Quick Reply: Subwoofer Install Pics!!!