RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Subwoofer Install Pics!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-02, 01:46 AM
Jonnystan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

O ya...suporting the American economy!

Lemme know how it sounds.
Old 08-29-02, 09:09 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Basslink $299

Went to Circuit City and found the Basslink for $299 like Nick said in an earlier post. In this particular store, the Basslink is on sale at this price through Saturday.

I asked "What's the installation charge on a unit like this?" The salesman said installation was $60 plus wire, and then walked to the register and quoted me a total price of $383.45 w/tax.

One problem, though. They do not sell the remote and want additional installation fees to add the remote later.

I asked "What if I bought a Basslink elsewhere and brought it here to have it installed...It would be $60, right?" He blubbered about an additional charge...Yadda,yadda,yadda.

So I asked how much additional? Answer: $10...

So I passed, as I can get it cheaper online with the remote, and a 3 year extended warranty. Even with the $10 additional installation charge, it's cheaper to buy online.

BTW, I listened to it through the dispaly car stereos. I played with the controls. Big difference in sound when adjusting gain, crossover freqency, and bass boost. It sounded good, and can really pop, but it was in a large open carpeted room. I believe it will be great in the confines of the RX 300. Aahh, those waves bouncing off all that glass...Mmmm, bass.

Last edited by Daddy-O; 08-29-02 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-29-02, 09:59 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good idea to wait until you find exactly what you want. I'm usually tempted to go ahead with a purchase, especially something like this limited time offer.

No biggie here. Cheaper online purchase WITH the remote. I'm going home this weekend from school and while I'm there I'll check at a local car audio shop to see how much they'll charge.

Paddy, where do you plan on mounting the Basslink? I haven't decided yet...I'll take a closer look this weekend. Thinking about where to put the remote too.
Old 08-29-02, 10:11 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

I've got to measure more closely, but I'm hoping it will fit on either side of the cargo area. The first aid kit is attached with velcro and can easily be moved. I want to be able to lift the spare tire cover without moving the Basslink.

I'm thinking about the remote in the top drawer of the center console or if I could fit it in the ashtray from underneath or in the coin holder to the left of the steering wheel. I don't know the dimensions of the remote.

Think it will fit in that space behind the wheel wells?
Vertical Mounting Dimensions: W=14.5", H=13.375", D=9.875"

BassLink LC Remote Level Control

Overview: The BassLink LC allows you to adjust the volume of BassLink powered subwoofer.

Installation: The BassLink LC may be mounted under the dash or may be dismantled and mounted inside the dash for a factory appearance.

Under-dash Mounting: Select a mounting location that allows easy, safe access to the control while driving. The BassLink LC has mounting "ears" to use as a template for drilling pilot holes. Attach screws through the "ears" to secure the BassLink LC to the mounting surface.
In-dash Mounting: Disassemble the BassLink LC by removing the Phillips-head screws on the front, rear, and top panels. Remove the bottom and side panels and disengage the RJ11 connector from the back panel. Choose a mounting location that allows easy, safe access to the control, and provides 1-3/4" clearance behind the mounting surface. Drill a 9/32" hole in the mounting surface. Feed the BassLink LC's potentiometer (with the **** removed) through the hold and use the nut provided to hold the control in place.
Connecting to BassLink: Route the cable behind the dash or other interior panels and under the carpet. Do not route the cable outside the vehicle. Connect the cable on both ends.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Daddy-O; 08-29-02 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-30-02, 12:22 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

We're on the same page here Paddy. I would like the mount it on the right side if I could, that way I can keep the rear power plug (cigarette lighter...whatever) open. But it's not like I ever use it anyway.

I was thinking the top drawer for the remote. However, the little coin tray by the right knee is an excellent idea. Also, the ashtray area may be a good place. May be too narrow though. The problem with putting in in the drawer is the cord moving.

Like I said, I'll be heading home this weekend. I'll check the dimensions for the Basslink unit itself to see where it will fit. Keep the spare tire easily accessible is a MUST. I will also get an estimate on installation.

If it doesn't fit on the side I was thinking about (if nothing else) mounting it on the back of the rear seats. That way it's up out of the way and folds down with the seats.

Thanks for the info on the remote. I'll check dimensions in the RX either Friday afternoon or Saturday.

Last edited by LexRX; 08-30-02 at 12:23 AM.
Old 08-30-02, 12:41 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LexRX
If it doesn't fit on the side I was thinking about (if nothing else) mounting it on the back of the rear seats
Heh...That'll be a real "kick" for a backseat passenger one day.

I sure hope it fits behind the wheel well.
I'm concerned about the feet.

I've thought if it sticks out too far, I'd buy some 1/4 plywood, use the cargo mat as a template, cover it with a carpet remnant and fabricate a new spare tire cover that is asymetrical to allow room for the Basslink, but allow access to the spare. I'd just roll up and store the Lexus cargo mat. The question is: Can you remove the spare tire cover?

Check out the attached pic for a rough idea. (Round off the corners in your mind )
Attached Images  
Old 08-30-02, 06:28 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I just took a look and really doubt the Basslink will fit behind the strut tower. The area is 9", in a stretch, at the widest point. The basslink will hang out just enough to be in the way - especially with the mounting brackets.

The spare tire cover is held on my metal hinges, and the carpet at the forward end of it is glued down. IMO, the modifications you suggest wouldn't be worth it vs. having a custom sub box made to fit in that area behind the strut tower. I have a picture of a custom sub box in a similar area on an IS300 SportCross, but that .jpg is on my other comptuer...at school. Don't let me forget, I'll post it when I get back.

Can't the Basslink just rest in the cargo area without any brackets. Maybe put a strip of velcro on the bottom so it grips to the carpet and doesn't move around.

I don't want to loose the cargo mat, but will have to if the Basslink it mounted anywhere in cargo area...hmmm.

Decisions decisions. I have somewhere to be tonight, so tomorrow I will go talk to the guys at "Car Audio Sensations" here where I live. I'll see what they have to say about it.

Last edited by LexRX; 08-30-02 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-30-02, 06:52 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Default Custom Sub Box

Remember, Shonuff did custom boxes?

I just don't want to rip up the interior too
much...Mine is still too new to me.

Hmmm, maybe HIDs instead...
Attached Thumbnails Subwoofer Install Pics!!!-picture-0023-1-.jpg  
Old 08-31-02, 04:57 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

The guy at my local car audio shop wasn't too keen on the Basslink. I don't think he really knew what it was until he took out a broshure and looked at a picture. He was trying to get me to look at a bazooka until he realized what the Basslink actually was then he said "yea, YEAH that'll be a good choice."

Not much new info. FYI, the Basslink does not come with wires, so that will be an extra installation expense. I spoke with both locar car place and Circuit city and they said it was no problem to have the remote installed most anywere. The way they acted, it seemed to be an easy thing for them to do.

Local car place wants $399 for the BL and $60 for installation. $70 if I bring in my own BL. Then there is the extra cost of wires.

Circuit city, like PW said, wants $60 plus cost of wires. He said they just charge what they would for installing an amp.

Buying and having one installed is no problem...that's easy. My biggest concen is where to put the damn thing. Local car place wasn't too helpful in the creative department. They just said "pretty much whatever you want, we can do."
Old 08-31-02, 07:22 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

%##@$! Car stereo dealers...If they don't sell it, or know anything about it, it's crap. You have to hit them over the head with it to make them admit it may be better than what they offer.

The places around my part of the country really have tunnel vision.

Hmmm...HIDs are sounding like a better (and easier) mod.
Old 08-31-02, 08:16 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Easier for sure! I already have them so I'm ready for the bass. You will NOT regret going ahead and getting HID's.
Old 09-03-02, 03:09 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

go for the HIDS first paddy, you'll love it man!!!

i drove my sisters car up to davis on the weekend and man me and my friend was staring at my sisters PIAA bulbs and was wondering if the headlight was even on or not... both of us were too spoiled with HIDS and the next thing i'll be doing is adding HIDS to her car lol