RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

'02 145K Transmision Fried

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-11, 04:27 PM
twa2k
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 145K Transmision Fried

Transmission has failed. Local mechanic informed me that new parts + labor and fluids will run approx $4000...and a limited warranty.

So after 9 years of flawless performance and reliability...I'm probably going to turn my back on her. The question is what do I do with it. What kind of value is this.

Does anyone have any suggestions on who I could contact that would be interested or buys RX300's in this condition?

Here's the synopsis of how the transmission failed...

Last drain & fill was about 20k miles ago using prescribed fluid and filter suggested from this forum. About 10 days ago, as I approached a red light that turned green - as I accelerated, the transmission hesitated before catching into first gear. This phenomenom would happen about once a day - just enough to get my attention but after checking fluid level & fluid condition, I figured I'd get it looked at once I got some time off. Well, low and behold - this morning after turning onto a side road; the rpms went up but the RX slowed down. Hearing a whining/grinding noise, I pulled into a neighborhood and put it in park. Idled fine but when I put in any gear - the grinding noise returned with no movement of the RX.

Thanks for any suggestions...
twa2k
Old 02-23-11, 05:28 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Where could you get a car that nice for 4000?
Old 02-23-11, 05:49 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The transmission would not cost $4k, find another mechanic. It should cost $2k out the door.
Old 02-23-11, 07:32 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I've been wondering if my daughter's '99 (about 135,000 miles) will face this one of these days. Would $2000 cover the whole thing at a Lexus dealer? Is this something a good Toyota shop could do well for less money? I don't want to scrimp, but like twa2k, I don't want to sink a ton of money into the vehicle. Also, I hear the way to go is a remanufactured tranny rather than simply rebuilt. Any thoughts?
Old 02-23-11, 07:56 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 84 Posts

the average price for tranny is between $2900 and $4300...I would suggest an independent. If you have had all service done at the dealership they may give you a good will of maybe 50 percent off, but would still cost around $2000 out of pocket.
Old 02-23-11, 08:06 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

its sad to hear toyota has such a major defect trans in these bad boys., these are my favorite rxs as far as styling goes..
Old 02-23-11, 08:56 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by trhs75
Would $2000 cover the whole thing at a Lexus dealer? Is this something a good Toyota shop could do well for less money?
Not a chance! Your're looking about $6000-$7000 at a Lexus dealership, maybe a thousand-or-so less at Toyota. An independent is going to cost around $3500 plus-or-minus, depending on what needs to be replaced. If there's any way to get it done for $2000, I'm all ears!
Old 02-24-11, 12:48 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Sktn- I have read of more than one on the forums that had it done by a reputable local trans shop (not franchise) for a little under or over $2k. You can pay whatever your feel like, but you're not likely to get a better trans at Lexus for $5-7k than at an independent for $2k-$2500. Lexus farms their rebuilds out to a company here in the US (used to send them to Japan, which made no sense) and YES, they have had problems with them even. Remanufactured is the biggest scam going. Do they melt the parts down and re-cast, do they put ALL new parts in, why are the INACCURATELY called "REMANUFACTURED"??? They are supposed to be rebuilt to higher standards. Do you have ANYTHING other than their word? I had a Ford rep tell me when I had a problem from the day I left the dealer with my new '99 F-150 PU and Ford put a "REMAN'd" piece of junk in my BRAND new truck. He told me they only use the case and put ALL NEW parts, all but the case. So much for his credibility-- Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire! I would trust a good LOCAL trans shop , with a good reputation any day, where I can talk to them face to face, over a dealership or Factory "REMANUFACTURED"!

By the way, a "Factory Remanufactured" has never seen the inside of the factory that made it since the day it left new. They are done by factories that hire $10. hr people that probably used to mow your lawn. It's not a FACTORY, it's a big building where cheap labor rebuilds your trans. so that the Man. and Dealer can make big money on something that's not what it pretends to be!!!
Old 02-24-11, 03:35 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

You can easily get another trans in the RX for $2000, you could get an independent shop to install one from a junkyard, find an RX that's been in an accident, and you'll know the trans has got to be good. Drop the pan at the junkyard before you purchase it... Most junkyards will let you do this for free, some might take a small fee of like $10.
Old 02-24-11, 06:14 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

sorry about my prices, they are a couple years old. The Lexus dealership is probably outragous. By the Way Code 58 speaks the truth. Lexus changed my transmission and the first one they put in was defective. Took me persistance for a month to convince them that it was bad...Would sit at stop light and when you hit the pedal it wouldnt go for about 2 seconds...not good. The second transmission that they put in has worked for the last 88k miles....I would highly recommend an independent that has done Toyota trannies and you will probably be much richer afterwards....by the way mine cost $4300 and that was supposedly with a break....some break, bad tranny, and poor installation...that is a whole other story...Lexus of Roseville leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 02-24-11, 07:41 AM
bufferdan
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Source a used toyota highlander trans from www.car-parts.com. At least you know you will get the updated trans this way and they run about 1k and another $500 or so for labor
Old 02-24-11, 01:54 PM
twa2k
Driver School Candidate

I was curious what kind of response I'd get if I posted my sick RX on craigslist, so last night I did. Boldly stating it's current "sad" condition and hoping to get $4K...holy smokes did my phone ring off the hook.
Old 02-24-11, 03:22 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by twa2k
I was curious what kind of response I'd get if I posted my sick RX on craigslist, so last night I did. Boldly stating it's current "sad" condition and hoping to get $4K...holy smokes did my phone ring off the hook.
Let us know if you sell it and how much you end up getting for it.
Old 02-24-11, 06:31 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I called our local AAMCO today just to get an idea of costs. He estimated $2500-3500 for rebuilding the whole thing, plus about $200 each if any solenoids (?) need replacing. Of this cost, $1300 is for 15 hours of labor. His book lists about twice the time involved as for most vehicles they work on. I want to check with our Lexus dealer tomorrow.
Old 02-24-11, 07:53 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Suggest looking up an independent, not AAMCO....then check BBB for complaints...

Quick Reply: '02 145K Transmision Fried