RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models
Old 12-16-14, 11:57 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

RX 300 brake pedal goes to floor

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-11, 12:09 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RX 300 brake pedal goes to floor

We've had our 2002 Lexus for about 10 days now. Love the car but something is up with the brakes. My wife noticed it first, then I noticed it. While stepping on the brakes the first time while braking, the pedal often goes to the floor and needs a second pump to bring about enough substantial pressure to stop the car in a timely fashion. This is quite concerning because if we needed to stop in an emergency, we certainly won't have time to pump the brakes...it will be a one pump situation.

Is this common issue that has been discussed before? What might the problem/solution be?

When negotiating the price, the dealer (independent) stated they had replaced the brakes when their mechanic had serviced the car. Then when I asked for the their service records when we were signing the purchase contract, it came to light that they were referring to another RX that they sold a few weeks previous. The whole thing was bs but they said the brakes had been checked and were good. My wife really wanted to the car so we saw past that and bought it any way. I had Toyota change the oil the next morning and they checked the pads/rotors and said they had plenty of life left. But I don't think they checked anything else that had to do with the master cylinder or anything like that.

So, any suggestions?
Old 02-24-11, 12:15 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

I should add, my RX300 has 71k miles. I would have to imagine the brakes have been replaced at some point.
Old 02-24-11, 12:58 PM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

Please do not drive the vehicle .. your brakes are NOT working and this is serious. Dont be lulled into thinking it is ok since you managed to pump and stop. I would suggest even having it towed to a place for service.

Look at the brake fluid level in master cylinder.

There is either air in the system or a leak OR master cylinder is shot.

For good/working brakes, when you press hard on the pedal with the right foot, your left foot toe should freely pass below the pressed pedal.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 02-24-11 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-24-11, 02:15 PM
noku
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the brakes feel spongy at all, you may have air in the system which would have to be bled out. Lots of air would cause your pedal to bottom out. But as Salim says check your brake fluid level first.
Old 02-24-11, 03:19 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 310 Likes on 269 Posts

They told you the brakes were fine. This constitutes a verbal contract (which may or may not be enforceable). I would take the car back and tell them to fix the brakes - they sold you an unsafe car and are liable no matter what the sales contract/warranty says.
Old 02-24-11, 03:37 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Take the car back to where you bought it, the car is unsafe. If they don't work with you on fixing the brakes, don't be afraid to get the authorities involved, selling a car with half-*** brakes isn't right, and they should be punished to the highest degree by law.
Old 02-24-11, 11:42 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Thanks for the suggestions. I will go back to the dealer tomorrow and see what can be done about it. They seem like pretty stand up guys.

I checked the fluid level in the master cylinder and it is just below the Full line. But spongy is a good adjective to describe the brakes. I wouldn't say I feel unsafe to the point of towing...the car certainly slows considerably when we get that spongy senstation...it's just that it isn't stopping like it should.

Air in the line would make sense. Again, I'll take it in and see what they think.
Old 02-25-11, 03:40 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It will be helpful if you can tell them whether you notice any leakage or not. Check your driveway or garage floor -- it's a unique-smelling fluid. My hope is there's just air in the system that can be bled or flushed out. I don't know as much as most posters on this forum, but it would seem to be unlikely for the master cylinder to fail on a Lexus with only 71,000 miles. If you're a do-it yourselfer, I would be tempted to explain the problem to the dealer and offer to try bleeding the brakes yourself unless they prefer to see it first. I don't know how much I would trust them at this point. Be sure to drive carefully on your way back to the dealer if you have to go!!
Old 02-26-11, 01:15 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Took it into Toyota yesterday and agreed to their brake service which included bleeding the brake lines and adjusting the brakes. They checked it out and said there was no air in the lines and that the brake system looked perfect. So they didn't charge me and sent me on my way. The brakes seem fine now so maybe it is just us and the soft brakes take some getting used to.

But thanks for the replies.
Old 02-27-11, 07:11 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 310 Likes on 269 Posts

Well, the brakes on my RX300 are pretty much the same as any other car I own (or have owned). Get a knowledgeable friend to drive the car and see what they think.
Old 02-27-11, 04:58 PM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

Do the test, I suggested.

Here in Texas the vehicles are subjected to annual test. The stations who run the check have white stripes on the road and one can always drive and test the actual breaking distance.

When you pump, with good brakes the pedal stops ever so slightly higher with each pump.

It should never never fall to the floor.

Salim