RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Remanufactured Tranny 1 day old, now A/F Sensor??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-11, 02:29 PM
Exit74
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Remanufactured Tranny 1 day old, now A/F Sensor??

Check engine light/VCS came on shortly after picking up car which had remanufactured transmission put in by lexus for 3500. Dealer ran code scan and just called now wants $292 to replace air fuel ratio sensor. Everything screams for this to be related to the recent work done as I noticed low power right away driving car away from shop and within 6hrs the Check Engine/VSC lights were lit up. I cant find any solid correlation online to prove.

I had however, read about problems with replaced tranny's not always syncing with a cars computer, of which the technician who test drove car with me this morning also agreed and I thought this might be problem.

I would like to fight this charge and demand they fix as related to recent transmission work but I would like any comments/advice if I am on the right track or if bad timing has kicked me in the pants again!

Thanks
John
Old 02-25-11, 03:24 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Not to get off track, but I'm amazed you got out for $3500. Today, my dealer estimated $5200-5400 for the same thing!
Old 02-25-11, 04:00 PM
C-Stone
Rookie

Originally Posted by Exit74
Check engine light/VCS came on shortly after picking up car which had remanufactured transmission put in by lexus for 3500. Dealer ran code scan and just called now wants $292 to replace air fuel ratio sensor. Everything screams for this to be related to the recent work done as I noticed low power right away driving car away from shop and within 6hrs the Check Engine/VSC lights were lit up. I cant find any solid correlation online to prove.

I had however, read about problems with replaced tranny's not always syncing with a cars computer, of which the technician who test drove car with me this morning also agreed and I thought this might be problem.

I would like to fight this charge and demand they fix as related to recent transmission work but I would like any comments/advice if I am on the right track or if bad timing has kicked me in the pants again!

Thanks
John
If the low power wasn't there before, but only now right after the tranny change... and if the technician agreed with you... it seems they ought to own up and give you your car back in top shape. I would fight it, if at all possible.

Which A/F sensor is it?
Old 02-25-11, 04:36 PM
Exit74
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by trhs75
Not to get off track, but I'm amazed you got out for $3500. Today, my dealer estimated $5200-5400 for the same thing!
Original quote for reman tranny was 6100..I fought tooth and nail, dealer came down to 5200. I then called Lexus HQ and filed official complaint for consideration for their goodwill participation program who worked out agreement with dealership to cover cost to get to 3500. Private shop had quoted 2800 to do the work so it was a tough decision.

Still too much IMO but yea I have heard worse.
Old 02-25-11, 04:38 PM
Exit74
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by C-Stone
If the low power wasn't there before, but only now right after the tranny change... and if the technician agreed with you... it seems they ought to own up and give you your car back in top shape. I would fight it, if at all possible.

Which A/F sensor is it?
Yea I will complain and see what happens. I didnt get the codes yet from dealer but looks like the part itself is at cost around $160 and they said they could install in 30min so padding their end obviously on both
Old 02-26-11, 04:50 AM
C-Stone
Rookie

If you wanted to, you can go to Autozone or another auto parts store that does free OBDII code reads. They do a print out for you as well. Then, you might have more knowledge to see what angle to address it.

BTW, the front A/F sensor doesn't look too hard to replace... if that is it. Autozone also has free rental tools to remove them... which are very handy.

I know, though. It seems they should have given you your car back in top shape. It's a Lexus dealer!

Good luck with it.
Old 02-26-11, 11:29 AM
LA4Mead
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depending on which sensor is faulting you might be able to clean it or (if you need to) replace it yourself... But you need to know which one is faulting. Most of the sensors are easy to replace. As a courtesy after the work they did on your car, they should be happy to translate the error code for you.
Mine was the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAFS) but yours might be different - from your post it's hard to tell which sensor it is. The Toyota dealer said they will only replace the MAFS with new, but was helpful letting me know which sensor was faulting after they serviced my car. The MAFS it is easily serviceable for any DIY'er. I was ready to order a brand new one online (the car's earned a new sensor after 13 years), but I figured I might as well try cleaning the sensor element first (with the help of some instructions shared on forums). A couple screws, unplugging the connector (hardest part), a can of CRC MAFS cleaner from the NAPA store, a couple careful shpritzes and reinstallation again, just a few screws. Then I cleaned the battery terminals (which also served the purpose of resetting the Check Engine Light & codes) and it's been about 7000 miles, the car's been running great again and no trouble codes or CEL.
Let us know what happens or what you find out...
Old 02-27-11, 01:30 PM
C-Stone
Rookie

That's a good call, LA4Mead, on the MAF Sensor.

Exit74, at least check the connections to the MAF sensor and clean it. Very simple job. And also all the connections/wiring to each of the A/F sensors. It is possible, that the mechanics didn't connect them properly after the work. (I know, slim chance...) But worth a look.

I once had low power and codes on another vehicle, and had left the MAF sensor disconnected, accidently. It reverted to a more basic air flow sensing mode, but didn't run well.
Old 02-27-11, 03:14 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm having hard time understanding why someone would go to a dealer for rebuilt trannies... It's a lot better to get a good used unit than to get rebuilt ones.