RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

where's the amp at

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-02, 09:34 PM
sinista
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question where's the amp at

What's up everyone? I feel like a dumbass having to ask this, but, where the hell is the amp located in the RX300 (2000, non-Nakamichi)? I heard that it's in the back, underneath the driver's side rear seat. I don't want to start tearing into that area if it's not there. But then again, could I just run a line from the sub underneath the passenger's seat to my amp? All I'm really looking for is a remote wire to hook my amp up to. Jonnystan had some great pics and details, but I still feel lost. I'm putting in 4 Rockford Power HX2 12" with a MA Audio HC4002 amp and an Audiobahn 5-farad cap. Any help whatsoever is greatly appreciated. Sorry if this topic has already been touched upon. Thx.

sinista
Old 08-21-02, 10:08 PM
salimshah

Received 1,072 Likes on 965 Posts

Never had a flat or checked air pressure in the spare?
Old 08-21-02, 10:15 PM
sinista
Driver School Candidate

actually....i've had a flat before. what're you trying to say? its where the spare is?

sinista
Old 08-21-02, 11:29 PM
sinista
Driver School Candidate

I've searched my whole back and I still don't see an amp. Unless I'm blind, I don't see it anywhere. Thx, though.

sinista
Old 08-22-02, 12:37 AM
sinista
Driver School Candidate

woohoo....found the answer to my quesiton!

Originally posted by gofaster
The setup on the RX is different and is a pain in the butt to do.
Judging from your post you dont have a lot of audio experience, so I would just have the shop do it for you.

You have to remove the whole rear of the car. The seats, the the trunk and spare tire well, the carpet and the metal plates under it to get to the factory amp.
Then you have to take the factory sub output from the amp and splice that to a rca converter. That will be your rca input to the new amp now. You only have one channel for the sub output, so you have top get a converter that will allow you to split it into 2 channels for an RCA cable.
Then you will have to splice off the antenna wire on the factory amp to power the on off on the new amp you put in. All together not that hard, once you know which wires to use. I took out my whole rear and had everything set up but the remote wire for the on off, so I just had a shop finish the install for me.
Anyways, a shop should quote you around 100 some dollars for everything, just have them do it for you.
thx again.... if anyone has any more hints before I get started, speak your mind

sinista
Old 08-22-02, 01:30 AM
Jonnystan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoa whoa WAY to complicated. You dont need to access that amp behind the seat. It is the amp for the speakers...not subs. All you have to do is run the wires leading into the factory sub through a converter like mine and it will make your RCA pre-amp outputs. No spliceing required. Unless you are upgrading the amp for the speakers, you do not need to access that amp.

Also, you can access the amp by removing the rear seats and pulling back the carpet. You dont have to take apart the spare tire area. This is for the non-Nakamichi, the nakamichi is different I believe. Either way if you are just wiring subs and an amp you dont have to deal with that amp.
Old 08-22-02, 04:54 AM
Shonuff
Pole Position

same for the nak setup...............just one extra wire on the nak amp that the regular amp does not have....................same location though
Old 08-22-02, 05:01 AM
Shonuff
Pole Position

here is where the amp was at. top of the pic is the passenger side rear seat..........bottom of the pic is the spare tire well
Attached Thumbnails where's the amp at-dsc00100.jpg  

Last edited by Shonuff; 08-22-02 at 05:02 AM.
Old 08-22-02, 05:10 AM
Shonuff
Pole Position

amp pulled out
Attached Thumbnails where's the amp at-dsc00099.jpg  
Old 08-22-02, 11:44 AM
Jonnystan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you can acess it by just removing the seats but to actually REMOVE the amp you have to go into the rear area?
Old 08-22-02, 12:37 PM
salimshah

Originally posted by salimshah
Never had a flat or checked air pressure in the spare?
Sorry sinista!

I am generally not that sarcastic. I got the glimpse of the amp changing a flat (never had a need to take the amp out).

My apologies again.

Salim
Old 08-22-02, 02:23 PM
Shonuff
Pole Position

salimishah: how did you see the amp when you changed the spare tire? there is carpet over a black metal cover that has to be removed in order to access or even see the amp. on top of that you would have to completely remove the spare tire cover/ door to even see the carpet that is covering the metal covering.............and in order to see the metal covering you would have had to remove part of the carpet.

is your amp located in a different place then other rx's?? or were you doing a little more then just looking at your spare tire?

just a little curious as to wether other year rx's have them located some where else.

thanks
Old 08-22-02, 03:25 PM
salimshah

My foray in the luggage area was quite intrusive, when I was installing hitch (the electrical connections) and some how had the image of the amp close to the spare ingrained in my mind. Next time I will check before I try to be cute.

Salim
Old 08-22-02, 07:15 PM
sinista
Driver School Candidate

salimshah, no offense taken. i knew you were being sarcastic but I just wondered if I was actually that blind. I guess I'm gonna have to cancel that appointment to the eye doc's to get new contacts.

thanks for the info guys. is there any performance loss going off of the sub? and how about a remote line?

sinista
Old 08-23-02, 12:37 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

oh god... so much work haha ok but let me get this straight...

i'll basically need to pull out the rear seats, and some of the stuff on the trunk area with the spare tire to reach that amp?

Quick Reply: where's the amp at