RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Turbo threads live again

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-11, 11:12 PM
skyspydude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo threads live again

I know that there have been many threads about putting a s/c or a turbo into the RX300. I just got one of these and must say it's an awesome vehicle and I just love everything about it. Of course like most of us here, I want to add a little something extra, just for the credit of doing it and thought that I could ask around here. I was wondering if anyone knew much about a company called Squires Turbo and was wondering what they might have for a vehicle like this. I've seen their turbos mounted on pretty much anything and was wondering if you think it might be worthwhile to look at. I've also been reading some threads about using the TRD s/c that was made for the
1MZ-FE and has been mounted on various other cars. Any help for a Lexus newbie would be much appreciated!
Old 03-05-11, 05:45 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Welcome to the Club!
I don't know much about retrofiting turbo's into the RX, but Lexmex will surely help you a ton, if i remember correctly he's looked at doing it in the past, but there wasn't really many options.
The trd turbo has been used on other 1mz-fe's but not the one in the RX, it won't fit under the hood of the rx300.
Old 03-05-11, 07:39 AM
skyspydude
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help. I will try talking to him about it and seeing what he says. Supposedly they can fit on most cars, but it always helps to see if it will work before I part with my money
Old 03-05-11, 11:39 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

The bigger problem is adding HP to a car with a glass tranny.
Old 03-05-11, 03:10 PM
skyspydude
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by carguy07
The bigger problem is adding HP to a car with a glass tranny.
What is that supposed to mean?
Old 03-05-11, 03:31 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I suspect carguy is talking about models like my '99 which have a history of failing transmissions. I understand the trannies in the 00-03's were better designed. Glass as in fragile, not see through.
Old 03-05-11, 04:00 PM
skyspydude
Driver School Candidate

Haha, nah, I get the joke, I was just wondering as it's coming up on 150,000 and is doing just fine. I can't honestly remember any issues that we've had. I would be amazed if it broke at this point after all the crap it's seen. They're well built cars if I have anything to say about it. I had no idea about the transmissions in the '99 models. Back to the thread, someone said that Lexmex might know a thing or two about putting one of these on, if anyone else does, the more the better
Old 03-06-11, 03:34 PM
varithms
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TRD make a supercharger for the 1MZ-FE. The programming and plumbing would have to be custom. Next would be a really good builder for the transmission. If it is 2wd under 30mph full throttle would be useless unless you can find some really good tires.
Old 03-07-11, 03:42 AM
skyspydude
Driver School Candidate

I know that they do, but most have said that it unfortunately won't fit due to size constraints under the hood, that's why I was thinking on looking into a remote turbo system. It is also the AWD version of the vehicle. I'm still pretty new to modifying my vehicle so I still don't really know what all needs to be done when I do a modification as large as this.
Old 03-08-11, 07:40 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

You really have to 'build up' the vehicle to support this modification. If I had more $$$ and time, I would carry it out, but as the years go by it's been a real burden to do big time projects.

You might learn a lot more by heading over to www.solaraguy.com and checking out there Generation 1 forums.

That being said, if you plan on making big time power, look for another vehicle unless you plan some serious upgrades to the transmission and doing some exhaust work. Two places I know offhand to visit for transmission upgrades, http://www.levelten.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=41 and and http://importperformancetrans.com/ (there site appears own right now), but check their blog, http://iptperformancetransmissions.w...tegory/toyota/

I looked at the Squires a few years ago and used to see those designs in action at my track back in Mexico. However, the plumbing under the RX300 is a royal PITA to do this.

In addition, you have to tap the oil line somewhere.

What I was looking at was the http://www.aerocharger.com/ which uses a self-contained system (aviation lubrication) and to put it right behind the engine at the junction of the two exhaust pipes about a bit away from the catalytic converter.

There is not an issue running an intercooler or even setting up the air intake piping.

You'd probably have to use a Greddy emanage to run the electronics of this system.

Perhaps the master of the 1MFZE turbo is a guy by the name of Tony Leung (aka Tony the Tiger) who modified a 94 Camry with a 1MZFE similar to what you would find in the RX300, http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...mile-trip.html

Yes, the TRD supercharger is an option but needs to be heavily modified to fit on the 1MZFE of our engines...it is not a precise fit. The other more expensive option was the TTE Compressor, which I don't think is available anymore, but was upwards of $10K.
Old 03-08-11, 03:35 PM
skyspydude
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Lexmex. This definitely seems like a bigger challenge than I though it would be unfortunately, but it's always good to keep options open. I just don't really have the time or cash to replace the entire transmission and such. Oh well, it's an interesting concept and would be a lot of fun.