RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

What do you RX300 owners do for a living?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-02, 12:23 AM
Jonnystan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya I think you misprinted that Nick.

Last edited by Jonnystan; 08-28-02 at 12:23 AM.
Old 08-28-02, 12:49 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess so...What I mean is that it plays MP3 tracks recorded onto a CD - an Audio CD, NOT a Data CD. I wholeheartedly apologize for any confusion. Hmm, I guess I am fallible...that would be the second time that has ever happened
Old 08-28-02, 01:12 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use data CDs. MP3s simply must be decompressed and formated to CDA format. Some burning software, like Roxio, does that easily. Older versions of EZCD Creator didn't.
Old 08-28-02, 01:17 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I use MusicMatch or Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 when burning audio CD's.
Old 08-28-02, 10:01 AM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's ok Nick.... don't let it happen again

The bottom line is that the current Lexus Rex CD player ONLY plays audio CDs... doesn't matter where the "source" came from, it's still in CDA format.

It would be kick-a** if the CD player could really play MP3s... I have a Sony boombox that can play MP3 CDs... I can literally fit about 10 audio CDs onto 1 MP3 CD... it's fantastic for parties. It would be great for those long road trips

I don't want to say too much, but I'm pretty sure there will be a way to use aftermarket (ie, newer) CD players to replace the current OEM in the near future...
Old 08-28-02, 08:40 PM
gsenthil
Pole Position

Default MP3 Player

Even though most of my CD collection is home made (Audio CDs made from MP3s) I can easily detect an Home Made CD from that of a regular CD. The closed environment and the good facotry sound system make it possible to do so. Unless the MP3s are encoded 256k+, it doesnt do justice to the nice sound system.
Old 08-29-02, 03:58 AM
sinista
Driver School Candidate

I'm in the same boat as you minow. A 6th year pharmacy student working 40+ hours per week for free (nothin like internships I tell ya). But, I have been blessed with a 2000 RX300. I ended up with it because of the extreme generosity of my mother. What happened was that I gave her my car about 8 months ago to get a few things fixed on it. She had it for a couple of weeks before she had a chance to stop by the mechanic's, all-the-while I was driving around the Lex. On the week that my mom finally got it fixed, she got hit by some lady that ran a red light. The car got pretty messed up. It was in the shop for almost a month. The entire time my mom let me use the lex and she just used my dad's car. Then, as fate would have it, the week that she got my car back, I wasn't able to drive home to pick it up. The following week she got rear-ended by a cop. Yet again, the car was in the the shop for quite some time. When we finally got it back again, my mother just told me to keep the lexus b/c they were gonna go ahead and trade in my car cause it's been put through so much. I hope that you get the RX you want some day cause I know that once I graduate, I'm probably gonna trade mine in for a new one. These SUVs are great.

One thing I am doing is puttin in a new system. I had a bunch of money saved up from working for my father during income tax season so I figured I would throw some beat into the thing. I picked up 4 RF Power HX2 12", an MA Audio 4002 Amp, and an Audiobahn 5-farad cap. I got some great deals on the stuff.
Old 09-01-02, 12:30 PM
MarioRX300
Rookie

high school student it's supposed to be for everyone in my family but hell it's mine now

Last edited by MarioRX300; 09-01-02 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-01-02, 02:32 PM
minow
Driver School Candidate

Hi Sinista:

Great to hear from another pharmacy student. 40 hr/week of free labor really does stink. But I like a quote I heard from a someone who graduated which is so true. The worst day on any rotation is better than the best day in a pharmacotherapeutics class.

I have to admit I'm a little jealous of some these guys here already having their dream car before graduation, and MarioRX300 driving one still in high school. Can't wait for my turn in 2003.

By the way Sinista are you going retail, hopsital, residency or something else when you graduate? I'm heading into nuclear.

Your new sound system sounds pretty awesome.
Old 09-02-02, 03:54 PM
whjones
Driver School Candidate

Talking

What? You're in high school and you get to drive an RX? Man oh man, I'm jealous hehehe When I was in high school, I had to drive the junked out '61 VW Super Beetle. Of course, I graduated high school in 1981 hehehe

Me, I'm in the US Navy; I've been in uniform for the past 20 years. My wife and I were the unfortunate victims of car thieves here in "paradise." To make a long story short, GEICO gave us a generous (for them) check and we were able to get the rest out of the bank. This is by FAR the very best vehicle I've ever had the utmost pleasure to drive, much less own

Bud Jones
Old 09-02-02, 11:58 PM
RX300_ATL
Driver School Candidate

I'm a systems analyst about 4 years out of college... graduated in '98 w/ a degree in CIS. I wanted to buy the car as soon as I graduated, but decided to get a house first for tax purposes. So, I bought a house when I was 22, then the RX300 when I was 24, because my Mustang was breaking down and I liked the redesign for 2001.

My first car, when I was 16, was a red BMW 535i, and at the time I thought I would always drive BMW's, until it started breaking down and I saw how much my dad had to spend to have it repaired all the time. And after having the Ford that started breaking down and costing me a lot of $, I decided to invest in a car that shouldn't need so many expensive repairs and have so many breakdowns.

I am planning on buying an SC430 in a few years, when I no longer have the payment on the RX I have now. For me the ideal situation would be for me to have both, the RX for transporting a lot of people/stuff, and the SC for just me, and maybe one other passenger.

I'm trying to decide, I'm either going to get my MBA, or stay in the workforce. In the current economic climate I really have to consider if it's worth it to leave a stable, well-paying job right now. But no matter what, I'm going to do whatever I have to, to keep the RX if I go back to school full-time.
Old 09-03-02, 12:23 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

RX300_ATL, you're going to help me get me a job in Atlanta in next December with my CIS degree...right?

Last edited by LexRX; 10-02-02 at 01:13 AM.
Old 09-03-02, 12:42 AM
sinista
Driver School Candidate

Minow,

I'm gonna have to use that quote myself. I'm sittin here right now bummin about my rotation tomorrow at 7:50AM but after thinking about what you said, it doesn't seem so bad anymore. God I'm glad that that's over with.

As far as what I'm gonna do, it's still pretty much in the air. I'm trying to use my clinicals to figure out which way I want to go. I'd love to do a residency so that I can utilize all the clinical skills I've acquired. But, the money in retail is unbelieveable right now. On top of that, I'm trying to figure out if I would be better off going right into an MBA program and then going into sometype of administrative work for a PBM or Pharmaceutical company. And if that's not enough, I've got my cousin trying to convince me to go to med school along with him. My problem isn't that I don't like a lot of things, my problem is that I'm into everything. When the dust settles though, I think I'm gonna end up doing a residency. I would love to do something in ID, Cardiology, or Psych

Nuclear has always interested me but we barely cover that topic in my pharmacy lectures. My school is just trying to push clinical pharmacy down everyone's throat. Although I have no problem with that, it doesn't allow students to develop more ideas of what they want to do with their degrees. You have to get board certified to do nuclear, right? I heard that those exams are insane. One of our professors actually put several questions from the BCPP exam on one of our therapeutics exams. We actually had several people start laughing out loud cause of how ridiculous the questions were.

As far as my system goes, I'm still in the process of getting it in the car. I've got the cap and the amp in. I'm just waiting for the weather to clear up so that I can finish up the box and wire the speakers. I'll be posting pics up on the site soon.
Old 09-03-02, 12:01 PM
PlanetAudioRX
Rookie

I currently am in Highschool still and I work at Special Vehicle Concepts (SVC). I am lucky though, didnt have to pay for the car. Mom wanted a X5 over the RX, but which was good news for me.
Old 09-04-02, 09:38 PM
RX300_ATL
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by LexRX
RX300_ATL, you're going to help me get me a job in Atlant in next December with my CIS degree...right?
Sure, I'll hook you up! And, we have underground parking... so my RX is garaged at home/work about 23 hours a day.

Quick Reply: What do you RX300 owners do for a living?