RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Trailer Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-11, 09:53 AM
Leines
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Wiring

When i got my rx, there was already a hidden hitch on it.. but ive searched and searched and cant seem to find any sort of wiring... its starting to get warmer outside and ive been looking at tent trailer for camping..

I have a 99 AWD.. Can someone walk me through how to troubleshoot the wiring... ive been reading and searching on this forum.. a lot in this area is for 01-02... i seen a youtube video online of a guy tapping into his tail lights.. but then read there might be a way to just plug into a preinstalled box...

Anyone with experience that can lend a hand??

Cheers
Old 03-20-11, 02:43 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a 99 and when it was new I installed a hitch and wiring. You need a module that connects to the existing wiring harness. Mine came from my Lexus dealer. If its not still available, try www.etrailer.com.

Last edited by JAB; 03-20-11 at 02:44 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-20-11, 06:16 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

There should be a wiring harness in the back under the spare wheel cover up on the left, just behind the rear seat. Sounds like yours didn't have the factory towing package but most had the pre-wiring. If you can still get the Lexus wiring module and harness, it'll probably set you back over $200. It's half a day's work to install (involves taking out the rear seat and most of the interior trim behind the rear seat). e-Trailers can supply one but that involves cutting into the factory lighting harness.
Old 03-21-11, 05:32 PM
Leines
Pole Position

Ive looked really hard... and i dont see anything in the spare tire area... that was the first place i looked for any sort of wiring... there is nothing...

To be honest..this truck has 230,000kms on it right now... ive only owned it for four months... when im done with it.. it will be sold with 300,000kms.. and it will also be sold with the trailer hitch... so cutting into the wiring it make it functional isnt really too much of an issue to me...

Does anyone here have experience using this etrailer??? ill go check their website now..

Cheers
Old 03-21-11, 08:01 PM
JAB
Instructor

I bought a similar module for my Subaru Outback from them.
Old 03-25-11, 04:58 AM
Leines
Pole Position

Did you find it hard to install?? I was reading a bit and it looks like you need to run power from the battery to the module in the trunk... it says not to tap into the power of the taillights which makes sense to me...

I have an aftermarket sub woofer in my car with a power source directly from the battery.... do you think that is best to tap into... or run another wire from the battery back to the woofer?

Cheers
Old 03-25-11, 09:37 AM
salimshah

Received 1,076 Likes on 968 Posts

Originally Posted by Leines
Did you find it hard to install?? I was reading a bit and it looks like you need to run power from the battery to the module in the trunk... it says not to tap into the power of the taillights which makes sense to me...

I have an aftermarket sub woofer in my car with a power source directly from the battery.... do you think that is best to tap into... or run another wire from the battery back to the woofer?

Cheers
You have number of options and all depend upon the current demand and switched-or-not.

There is 12v acc (cig-lighter-like) in the back which is switched.

For light use any source will work. Look at the load and just make sure the source can deliver.

Salim
Old 03-25-11, 10:00 AM
JAB
Instructor

Before you do anything be absolutely sure that your vehicle does not have the tow package pre-wiring, which doesn't give you the module but does give you the tap point, which makes it unnecessary to run wires to the battery, or cut and splice, etc. Coudln't be simpler.

Last edited by JAB; 03-25-11 at 10:07 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-26-11, 07:07 PM
Leines
Pole Position

that is the box that should be in the spare wheel well... near the back seat on the drivers side???? ill look again in the morning.. but im almost sure there is no black box anywhere in my spare tire area.... which is weird because i was told all AWD were equipped with that package.. but maybe that was just a rumour or something..
Old 03-27-11, 11:20 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

The black box won't be there unless you have the trailer wiring in place. But the plug should be. It's not in the wheel well, it's further forward - you usually need to take out the back seat to find it. There is a second connector just underneath the rear left window. You need to take the large side panel off to get at it but I think this is only used if you use the factory kit.
Old 03-27-11, 12:24 PM
JAB
Instructor

Correct. You won't likely find the 'black box' but you should find the plug that connects to the black box. Keep looking.
Old 03-27-11, 02:07 PM
Leines
Pole Position

Is there a tutorial for finding this plug... it doesnt seem like an easy job to remove all that stuff to get at it... Where exactly behind the back seat is it located?? driver side or pass side?? if i find i do have this plug under the seat... will i just need something like this to install the trailer wiring??
http://cgi.ebay.ca/CURT-TRAILER-HITC...item439f6b4304

Thanks again for the help guys..

Cheers
Old 03-27-11, 05:43 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

It's under the back seat (between the back seat and the spare wheel well) on the drivers side. The harness on e-bay won't work.
Old 03-28-11, 11:31 AM
Leines
Pole Position

so if i find the plug...how much does it cost to wire the rx using the stock hidden plug and what parts do i need..... as opposed to using the etrailer and slice and dicing the tail lights which costs about $65 plus labour..

Cheers
Old 03-28-11, 01:22 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

I've used the Lexus black boxes/harneses, so I don't know how much it would be to fabricate a suitable harness to use if you go aftermarket.

Note, if your RX300 didn't come with the towing package, then it doesn't have the transmission cooler. You are probably asking for transmission problems if you tow with the car.

Quick Reply: Trailer Wiring