RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Good Autel Scanner deal on Amazon

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-11, 12:01 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas1
THat scanner comes with a CD listing the codes as well as what they mean...It also has a quick reference booklet...Hey for the price great deal, and you dont have to run to the stealership or auto parts store...then log on to this site, and you will gets lots of guidance... (1.) The scan guage is OK, but I use mine for measuring Transmission temp...It is geared more for use as a guage and info device... (2.) It does give codes, but does not tell you what they are...
1. Better than OK, I'd say, Thomas. Now, the original Scan Gauge was OK (though EXTREMELY ugly, I made a stainless case for mine so that it didn't have to wear a sack over it's little head) I have both the car and truck set up with concealed dedicated harnesses and the SG velcro'd on 3 sides so that I can just slap it in and plug it and ready to go. I don't leave it in either for local use, but put it in for any trip use. I made 2 different mounts for the truck. One above the mirror and one on a stainless platform just above the radio with a splitter for the dedicated cables.
2. I use the Auto-Xray 6000 for that.
Old 04-13-11, 01:25 PM
razali2k5
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same price again - $18.99
Old 04-13-11, 04:23 PM
LA4Mead
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by razali2k5
Same price again - $18.99
That's too funny. The price fluctuates so much. Last week I was about to order it - it was up to $21 (plus order something else to get above $25 for free shipping). I had to close my browser, and when I went back to the same page (it was still in the cart) it gave me a message that I would be charged the new price of $28, but qualified for free shipping, even tho it was still in the cart.

It seemed fishy, but for the few extra $ I grumbled and bought it anyway. It left me with a foul after-taste about dealing with the same retailer, but whatever.

I received it quickly via USPS. Been busy with classwork, so I'm still trying to make some sense of the codes. It was easy to use for what it does, and that's just read codes that aren't real specific. It doesn't offer suggested diagnoses and the codes are somewhat ambiguous, but that's another topic and the mfr codes just aren't very specific.

When you see it at $18 don't close your browser... Just order it and pick up some cable ties or something else to get you to $25 free shipping as a "value-added bonus".
Old 04-15-11, 07:50 AM
razali2k5
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LA4Mead
When you see it at $18 don't close your browser... Just order it and pick up some cable ties or something else to get you to $25 free shipping as a "value-added bonus".
I order from Amazon often and their prices do change sometimes. However, it doesn't matter if you close your browser or not. The price changes in the cart as soon as they update the price of the product.

As a side note, I have Amazon prime and it is very convenient because you can order without adding fillers and you get two day shipping. I highly recommend it.
Old 04-16-11, 05:58 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

True on the price fluctuations.

I also ordered this, http://www.amazon.com/ElmScan-Compac...2958587&sr=8-2

For some odd reason, I couldn't find the one of these I used to have around the house, so I ordered it again, albeit at a much lesser cost than I did previously (the $59 mentioned), but getting this OBD2 adapter to hook up to my laptop at $38 is a bargain. This can read the readings on such things like the A/F and O2 sensors.

Noticed that Autel scanner was $29 this morning.