RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

fuel injection!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-11, 07:24 AM
thug9030
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Default fuel injection!

OK as we all know gas prices is going up like crazy. And its really hurting my pockets with all the price hikes. I was wondering would fuel injection be the way to go as far as saving money at the pump.
Old 04-26-11, 07:40 AM
salimshah

Received 1,069 Likes on 962 Posts

If you are question is about technology and comparing with Carb, then fuel injection is definitely superior as the system is designed to introduce fuel in proportion to air being sucked in. The earlier carb system were relying on the venturi principle and we got some what "1" designed to spot for the air-fuel mixture. That system got improved when we went to double-carb ["2" designed to spots].

Emission control (improvement) and pursuit of higher miles to volume of fuel used brought the already established diesel technology (fuel injection) over to Petrol/gas based vehicles.

By the way the gas mowers/trimmers which are carb based are among the worst engines [talking in terms of fuel economy and pollution]

Salim

ps: I may have misunderstood your question too ... RX has FI system and we have no alternative to it.
Old 04-26-11, 07:43 AM
skyspydude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you mean by fuel injection? The 1ZM-FE used in the RX300 is a fuel injected engine. I might be mistaken on what you mean, but if you could elaborate further that would be great.
Old 04-26-11, 07:43 AM
thug9030
Pit Crew

Do you have fuel injection on your car. I was just being skeptical about putting that after market part on my baby. LOL since I normally keep it OEM on my car.
Old 04-26-11, 07:45 AM
thug9030
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by skyspydude
What do you mean by fuel injection? The 1ZM-FE used in the RX300 is a fuel injected engine. I might be mistaken on what you mean, but if you could elaborate further that would be great.
O I didn't know that and as you can see I'm sort of a noob.
Old 04-26-11, 08:02 AM
skyspydude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thug9030
O I didn't know that and as you can see I'm sort of a noob.
You're fine. I was just a bit confused on whether you wanted to convert it to FI or you were talking about how awesome FI is.
Old 04-26-11, 08:13 AM
thug9030
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by skyspydude
You're fine. I was just a bit confused on whether you wanted to convert it to FI or you were talking about how awesome FI is.
O. I was wondering about how awesome they were and what is the process of converting over to them.
Old 04-26-11, 10:18 AM
salimshah

Let me throw some more stuff in and complicate the matter yet more .. [I admit that I am still lost].

Only avid readers of internal combustion need to read, for the rest I suggest that they should simply ignore the post.

There are 2 types of FI systems:

For Petrol/gas cars typically what is used is FI in port and diesel have to use the FI in the cylinder [the port injection does not work in diesel] and the psi needed to inject in the port is much less than what is needed in the already compressed air in the diesel-cylinder.

Salim
Old 04-26-11, 01:16 PM
noku
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FI ($$$) would not be as cost effective as improving your driving skills ($0). You would be amazed how much gas is wasted by excessive speed, tailgating, carrying unnecessary weight, improper tire pressure, improperly tuned engines, jack rabbit starts, using your a/c, etc.. Even closing or cracking your window open (a/c off) at speeds over 35mph can make an improvement. Try looking farther ahead while driving so you can anticipate stops thereby eliminating any unnecessary gas pedal pressure. Even route selection and local traffic knowledge helps.

With my RX I've averaged 6 mpg better than when my wife drove the car. That's almost a 33% increase in mpg. In the future if needing to replace my exhaust system, I'm planning to get lower restrictive components.
Old 04-26-11, 02:34 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by noku
FI ($$$) would not be as cost effective as improving your driving skills ($0). You would be amazed how much gas is wasted by excessive speed, tailgating, carrying unnecessary weight, improper tire pressure, improperly tuned engines, jack rabbit starts, using your a/c, etc.. Even closing or cracking your window open (a/c off) at speeds over 35mph can make an improvement. Try looking farther ahead while driving so you can anticipate stops thereby eliminating any unnecessary gas pedal pressure. Even route selection and local traffic knowledge helps.

With my RX I've averaged 6 mpg better than when my wife drove the car. That's almost a 33% increase in mpg. In the future if needing to replace my exhaust system, I'm planning to get lower restrictive components.
... them fighting words ... brave man .... maybe wife never sees what is posted

Salim
Old 04-26-11, 03:06 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 315 Likes on 274 Posts

I'm not aware of any cars built in the last 20 years (maybe more) with a carburettor. Emission requirements as well as fuel economy requirements forced the change.
Old 04-27-11, 12:58 AM
noku
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
... them fighting words ... brave man .... maybe wife never sees what is posted

Salim
LOL....No she never does. However I always get after her when she's driving so she wouldn't be surprised. Her worst habit is using just the gas and brake pedal and has no idea behind the concept of coasting. She hurries to the red light so she can stop again.
Old 04-27-11, 02:15 AM
zombie
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by noku
LOL....No she never does. However I always get after her when she's driving so she wouldn't be surprised. Her worst habit is using just the gas and brake pedal and has no idea behind the concept of coasting. She hurries to the red light so she can stop again.
i love coasting, but my girlfriend and maybe drivers behind me might find that style of driving annoying. i told her every little bit of saving adds up.
Old 04-27-11, 03:25 AM
noku
Driver

Originally Posted by zombie
i love coasting, but my girlfriend and maybe drivers behind me might find that style of driving annoying. i told her every little bit of saving adds up.
So true.....as a matter of fact, I don't care how you drive......I guarantee that you'll annoy somebody.