RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Sunroof Hail Damage

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-11, 10:07 AM
Russ White
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof Hail Damage

Daughter's car got pummeled in a recent hail storm. Sunroof is shattered. I am wondering if anyone on the forum has had to replace that part of the sunroof. If so I would like know a ballpark cost for parts and labor. Anyone attempted as a DIY job?
Is there any reason I should go to a dealer on this, or would an automative glass shop be normally able to handle this job?

Thanks,
Russ - East Tennessee
Old 04-30-11, 12:47 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

u dont have insurance on the car?? i think your insurance company should take care of it.
Old 05-01-11, 12:08 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Russ White
Daughter's car got pummeled in a recent hail storm. Sunroof is shattered. I am wondering if anyone on the forum has had to replace that part of the sunroof. If so I would like know a ballpark cost for parts and labor. Anyone attempted as a DIY job?
Is there any reason I should go to a dealer on this, or would an automative glass shop be normally able to handle this job?

Thanks,
Russ - East Tennessee
Yes Russ, that would be under comprehensive on your (her) auto insurance policy. It would be really unusual for someone not to carry comprehensive insurance even if they don't carry collision, because it's pretty cheap and covers so much in the way of potential loss. A comprehensive claim SHOULDN'T be charged against your (her) policy, meaning it shouldn't raise the rates. If it blew the sunroof out, it likely caused water damage and possibly other interior damage that should be covered under the same claim. If it blew the sunroof did it cause body damage also? Seems like it would have to. It would ALL be covered under a comp. claim with no rise in premiums. Sure hope it wasn't a case of NO INSURANCE, which would be penny wise and pound foolish.

If somehow there's no insurance, I would suggest locating a used one in a wrecking yard. It might be a little more than you could handle to install, unless you're at least mechanically experienced.
Old 05-01-11, 04:10 AM
Russ White
Driver School Candidate

As you may have guessed, with widespread storm damage the insurance carriers are totally covered up right now and I am 1000 miles away from her and the car. I was just trying to get a better understanding of what my/her options are going to be, and you have been helpful. I don't have the policy in front of me, but we are State Farm and I carry collision but at a high $2000 deductible. I am sure there is comprehensive and all the other normal coverages. Our family has had only one claim in 40 years, so very short on experience of how it all works. I must say what you say about comprehensive sounds very good. Yes, there is body damage in the way of dings and pretty big dents she says from the hail. She and a friend quickly covered the damaged sunroof with plastic and she reports just a little dampness on the sliding panel under the sunroof. To add to the confusion she called the next day with a long list of things that no longer worked normally, locks, lights, A/C, etc. and then the following day to say it would no longer start - or turn over for that matter.

I'll follow up with a post of how this all works out when I get back home in about a month. Thanks for replies. Russ
Old 05-01-11, 09:02 AM
salimshah

Received 1,069 Likes on 962 Posts

As you may have guessed, with widespread storm damage the insurance carriers are totally covered up right now and I am 1000 miles away from her and the car. I was just trying to get a better understanding of what my/her options are going to be, and you have been helpful. I don't have the policy in front of me, but we are State Farm and I carry collision but at a high $2000 deductible. I am sure there is comprehensive and all the other normal coverages. Our family has had only one claim in 40 years, so very short on experience of how it all works. I must say what you say about comprehensive sounds very good. Yes, there is body damage in the way of dings and pretty big dents she says from the hail. She and a friend quickly covered the damaged sunroof with plastic and she reports just a little dampness on the sliding panel under the sunroof. To add to the confusion she called the next day with a long list of things that no longer worked normally, locks, lights, A/C, etc. and then the following day to say it would no longer start - or turn over for that matter.

I'll follow up with a post of how this all works out when I get back home in about a month. Thanks for replies. Russ
State Farm is among the better insurance companies (I am not their customer). With the storms they must be busy, BUT the insured must make them aware that the issue id more than dents. The breach is such that the vehicle is no longer secure and water damage may lead to molds and costlier repairs.

Read the policy. I n case of breach, I think it is reasonable that you get the repairs done after notifying the insurance company. Lot of repair places work with the insurance companies and the work in many places gets in the queue based on repair shops when a calamity affects a large population.

Salim
Old 05-01-11, 03:21 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 315 Likes on 274 Posts

As a rule, the same deductible applies to all coverages. You can get different deductibles on collision and comprehensive but most people don't (check your policy to see if it says "$2000 deductible all perils"). In NC, State Farm's maximum deductible is $1000.
Old 05-02-11, 01:01 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sktn77a
As a rule, the same deductible applies to all coverages. You can get different deductibles on collision and comprehensive but most people don't (check your policy to see if it says "$2000 deductible all perils"). In NC, State Farm's maximum deductible is $1000.
A gazillion different insurance companies and as many different policies because almost every state has different rules the companies have to abide by. I have NEVER carried a comprehensive deductible near as high as collision. I'm sure I have never carried a comp. ded. any higher than $250. Comp. is GENERALLY pretty cheap, no reason to carry a high ded. there because you don't save that much money over a low ded. and most comp. claims are out of your control (unlike, say collision) I personally have never carried HIGH ded. on any of the vehicle ins. People want to save money so they get a high ded. and then when they have a loss, they cry the blues. Can't have it both ways. I prefer to not have losses and therefore end up with very low rates with a top notch insurance co. (much better than State Farm, I spent 30+ years in the body business, I should know)
Old 05-02-11, 01:18 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Thanks,
Russ - East Tennessee
Russ, glad to hear you have insurance to cover the loss. Even though ALL the ins. adj. are swamped, they almost ALWAYS bring in other company adj. from other parts of the country on a temporary basis to deal with that kind of unusual load, and even contract indep. adj. if necessary. The problem will be getting it into a shop for the repairs, because that's an area they have no control over, can't bring more shops into the area. What year is your daughters car? If it's a '99 say, there is a possibility it COULD be totaled with the body and paint damage, sunroof, interior water damage (the stuff that did work and now doesn't is almost for sure water damage). You want to make SURE all that worked before is made right because if you're stuck with electrical (electronic) to pay for after they've cut you a final settlement check, it could be a killer!
An automotive glass shop MAY be able to do the sunroof but it would be better if done by a sunroof shop, or the dealer. I used to be in the sunroof business and they can be a little tricky, requires someone who has some experience to do it right! Good Luck!
Old 05-02-11, 04:34 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by code58
A gazillion different insurance companies and as many different policies because almost every state has different rules the companies have to abide by. I have NEVER carried a comprehensive deductible near as high as collision. I'm sure I have never carried a comp. ded. any higher than $250. Comp. is GENERALLY pretty cheap, no reason to carry a high ded. there because you don't save that much money over a low ded. and most comp. claims are out of your control (unlike, say collision) I personally have never carried HIGH ded. on any of the vehicle ins. People want to save money so they get a high ded. and then when they have a loss, they cry the blues. Can't have it both ways. I prefer to not have losses and therefore end up with very low rates with a top notch insurance co. (much better than State Farm, I spent 30+ years in the body business, I should know)
So what's your POINT - The OP has a HIGH collision deductible ($2000) and we don't KNOW what his comprehensive deductible is. Why not let him respond?

Old 05-02-11, 04:56 PM
Russ White
Driver School Candidate

Hi Keith,

I am advised by my agent that my deductible for collision is the same for comprehensive ( $2000). Although no one here has suggested the cost for a sunroof glass replacement I am thinking I will go ahead and have the car looked at by the adjuster and see what is proposed. I hope doing that does not commit me to anything. I was also advised that the claim, should I follow through, will not be considered as an "at fault" and will not contribute to any changes in my rates. I feel fairly sure when all the other items in addition to the glass - dents and no start - are factored in, the estimate will exceed the deductible.
I was initially trying to decide if it was wise to invest beyond the cost of the glass sunroof in a car we may well drive until its normal depreciation has reached a very low value. I am still weeks away from getting back home to the area. Sunroof is all sealed up with sheeting and interior is water tight for now.
I'll let you all know what happens next. Russ
Old 05-02-11, 07:45 PM
salimshah

Received 1,069 Likes on 962 Posts

If you have sheet metal damage to the hood and roof, the repair cost for those is going to exceed the sun-roof repair cost. Compare the total cost with blue book value (just as a reference).

Also if you go the adjuster, you are not obligated to follow through with the repairs, but the incident gets recorded and becomes a history of the vehicle.

Salim
Old 05-03-11, 12:53 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sktn77a
So what's your POINT - The OP has a HIGH collision deductible ($2000) and we don't KNOW what his comprehensive deductible is. Why not let him respond?

My point was that every state has different insurance regulations (rules for companies doing business in that state) and that it's foolish to carry a high ded. on comp. because comp. is such a small part of the total insurance cost anyway. That is UNLESS that state (I guess Tenn. in this case) has a regulation that the insurance co. can ONLY write ALL PERILS at one ded. I've never lived anywhere that had that reg., but ANYTHING is possible!

By the way, he did respond, are you happy now?
Old 05-03-11, 06:04 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Always happy - this is a happy forum!

Old 06-06-11, 05:04 PM
Russ White
Driver School Candidate

Thought I would bring this thread up to date a little.

Today, after replacing the battery, I got the car to start and took it to the disaster claims area State Farm had set up to deal with all the hail damage. Much to my surprise and disappointment, they totaled the 2001 RX300. I had recently put high dollar Michelin tires and a "new" transmission in the car. The hail damage is cosmetic except for the puntured moon roof ( no water damage inside ). I really hate to go shopping for a replacement car at this time. I have been told that I would have the option to keep the car and the settlement would be the retail value minus salvage value minus my deductable. If I go that route the car would no longer be eligible for comprehesnive insurance and would have a salvage title. Since our plans were to keep it until it was no longer servicable, maybe that is an option I should consider. I would have to find a glass shop or body shop to fix the sunroof. After that if there was money remaining I could look into some of the paintless dent removal folks that are working in the area.
If anyone reading this has been through something similar, I would appreciate any knowledge you can pass along. Thanks, Russ
Old 06-07-11, 02:24 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I would pull it out myself and replace it with one from a wreck. It is only bolted on like any other window i have seen sunroofs installed i would give it a go rather than drop 2k on insurance.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Hail Damage