RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Windshield Replacement ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-02, 02:23 PM
RLand
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Replacement ?

Caught a rock and got a nice crack working down my windshield.

#$@%$$#@

Anyway, has anyone had to replace one?

Can any shop do it or should I let Lexus do it?

The windshield says Toyota ( Year 2000) on it and has a black-dot print around the rear view mirror and along the sides?

Is this decoration or does it serve some purpose? Will a non-Lexus shop be able to replicate?

It also has a tint at the top.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 09-07-02, 02:49 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

The same happened to my parents' LS. What we had to do was order the winshield from the Lexus dealer and have a glass repair shop install it.
Old 09-08-02, 12:35 AM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny thing... my Rex goes into the shop for windshield replacement Monday morning, so yea, I know a little about this

A third party auto glass installer using an aftermarket windshield will charge about $450 or LESS installed. Lexus dealer is going to charge me about $900.

Just a few facts before you make up your mind:
the quality/thickness of the glass contributes to the low noise level in the cabin at highway speeds. Someone/something tried to smash my windshield... they couldn't. Though there is about a 6 inch circle of damage, the cracks never penetrated the inside of windshield... this sucker is thick and well made! There is no guarantee that a third party replacement will be of the same quality... it just has to fit and meet certain U.S. safety standards.

Since I have full glass coverage (hence $0 out of my pockets), I'm getting it done right at the Lexus dealer. Even if in the end they are just sending it out to be repaired, the bottom line is that they are responsible and back it with the Lexus warranty.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

-TC
Old 09-08-02, 02:40 AM
Lxcruiser
Rookie

Angry

I was heading back home to Miami from Atlanta in my LX470 and a rock or something hit my front wind sheild on the lower right side, what seemed like a mini spider web soon became a crack. As the time and miles went by the crack started to creep slowly across my windsheild! By the time I had arrived in Miami the crack had snaked its way across the windsheild to the middle! At any rate to make a long story short they replaced my windsheild at Lexus all right...BUT my wipers are not performing the way they use too and the cabin noise has increased! But unfortunately there is nothing I can do about it. As a matter of fact I am getting ready to trade in my LX470 because of it...I can't stand it! Well this story isn't meant to scare you but thats what happened to me.

Hopefully your situation doesn't turn out like mine. It makes me wonder now that if someone is something were to damage my windsheild and it were replaced on any automobile I own would that compromise the cabine noise?
Old 09-08-02, 11:49 AM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Lxcruiser, more than likely one of these things happened:

* They didn't use a genuine Toyota/Lexus windshield or the EXACT replacement for your vehicle year.

* They set the glass and seals in wrong. It happens. This almost always is the culprit when cabin noise increases. The fact you said that the wipers are not performing right almost guarantees that the glass is not set right. You could have taken it to any Lexus dealer under warranty and had them rectify it. All repairs done are guaranteed for at least 12 months.
Old 09-08-02, 12:36 PM
Lxcruiser
Rookie

Smile Thanks for the info!

Hey RX300TC!

Thanks for the tips, but the trouble is that this windsheild dilema happened about a year and a half ago, But atleast I know now for the next time-IF it happens. But thanks again for the info on the windsheild!
Old 09-08-02, 01:00 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Just out of curiosity, did the cabin noise increase right after the windshield was replaced? Or did the noise increase over time?

If right away, plain old botched install. If over time, then botched install, but specifically how the seals were applied.
Old 09-08-02, 01:15 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

After the windshield was replaced on the LS the wipers didn't work correctly. We had to take it to the dealer numerous times before they finally adjusted them correctly. The wipers were just not installed correctly after the windshield replacement.
Old 09-08-02, 01:23 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Really Lex? Huh... I didn't know they had to remove the wiper assembly on the LS just to install the windshield. I guess every model is different.
Old 09-08-02, 02:25 PM
Lxcruiser
Rookie

Just out of curiosity, did the cabin noise increase right after the windshield was replaced? Or did the noise increase over time?

If right away, plain old botched install. If over time, then botched install, but specifically how the seals were applied.

Well RX300TC the sound quality of cabin deteriorated over time but the wipers were giving me problems from the time they installed the new windsheild.

I guess they botched me up good with just about everything!