RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

How to change the Timing Belt on a '99 RX300

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-11, 11:15 AM
techtalk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to change the Timing Belt on a '99 RX300

Hey guys and gals!

I've recently performed a timing belt change on a '99 RX300 so I've decided to post up a brief D.I.Y. article regarding the procedure. Hope it helps someone out there!

**TOOLS AND PARTS REQUIRED**
Car lift
Safety glasses
Wrench set
Socket set
Ratchet
Crankshaft pulley wrench
Crankshaft sprocket

**COST OF JOB**
Varies depending on where you source the parts from. I bought the belts for about $23 out-the-door at lexuspartsnow.com, so bargains are to be had for those who look around.

1) Park the Lexus in a flat, level area and set the parking brake. Let the engine cool down and chock the wheels for additional safety. Open the hood to expose the engine and disconnect the battery leads with a wrench. Slide the car lift under the front side of the vehicle and place it according to the manufacturer's instruction; most car lifts sit under the axle of the vehicle, but different models of car lifts will have different requirements. Lift the vehicle off of the ground/floor.

2) Locate the belt diagram on the hood or shroud cover of the car and use it to find the automatic belt tensioner for the serpentine belt. Place a socket and ratchet over the bolt on the tensioner pulley and release tension by leveraging it in the direction indicated on the diagram. Slide the belt off of the pulley and let it close again.

3) Remove the cover over the timing belt with an appropriate-size wrench or socket. Loosen the crankshaft pulley bolt with the crankshaft pulley wrench; this will require getting under the vehicle. Turn the crankshaft until the timing marks line up with the camshafts. Turn them together with the crankshaft sprocket until the pulley timing mark on the crankshaft lines up with the guide pulley bolt, and remove the crankshaft pulley bolts.

4) Manually adjust the tensioner to release tension on the timing belt. Remove the timing belt by lifting it off the sprockets and pulleys. Install the new timing belt by wrapping it around the crankshaft sprocket and lining up the marks on the belt with those on the shaft. Slide it over the tensioner pulley when finished and let it automatically adjust.

5) Reverse the process to reassemble the various parts of the engine.
Old 06-17-11, 07:15 AM
divertom64
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 2000 rx 300 timing belt

does my v6 have a timing belt or chain?

Originally Posted by techtalk
Hey guys and gals!

I've recently performed a timing belt change on a '99 RX300 so I've decided to post up a brief D.I.Y. article regarding the procedure. Hope it helps someone out there!

**TOOLS AND PARTS REQUIRED**
Car lift
Safety glasses
Wrench set
Socket set
Ratchet
Crankshaft pulley wrench
Crankshaft sprocket

**COST OF JOB**
Varies depending on where you source the parts from. I bought the belts for about $23 out-the-door at lexuspartsnow.com, so bargains are to be had for those who look around.

1) Park the Lexus in a flat, level area and set the parking brake. Let the engine cool down and chock the wheels for additional safety. Open the hood to expose the engine and disconnect the battery leads with a wrench. Slide the car lift under the front side of the vehicle and place it according to the manufacturer's instruction; most car lifts sit under the axle of the vehicle, but different models of car lifts will have different requirements. Lift the vehicle off of the ground/floor.

2) Locate the belt diagram on the hood or shroud cover of the car and use it to find the automatic belt tensioner for the serpentine belt. Place a socket and ratchet over the bolt on the tensioner pulley and release tension by leveraging it in the direction indicated on the diagram. Slide the belt off of the pulley and let it close again.

3) Remove the cover over the timing belt with an appropriate-size wrench or socket. Loosen the crankshaft pulley bolt with the crankshaft pulley wrench; this will require getting under the vehicle. Turn the crankshaft until the timing marks line up with the camshafts. Turn them together with the crankshaft sprocket until the pulley timing mark on the crankshaft lines up with the guide pulley bolt, and remove the crankshaft pulley bolts.

4) Manually adjust the tensioner to release tension on the timing belt. Remove the timing belt by lifting it off the sprockets and pulleys. Install the new timing belt by wrapping it around the crankshaft sprocket and lining up the marks on the belt with those on the shaft. Slide it over the tensioner pulley when finished and let it automatically adjust.

5) Reverse the process to reassemble the various parts of the engine.
Old 06-17-11, 10:52 AM
rickpark
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is yours the same engine that is covered in

this Youtube video?
Old 06-18-11, 12:06 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by divertom64
does my v6 have a timing belt or chain?