RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX, the true Man's vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-02, 03:29 AM
scooby doo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for your comments

Great vehicle, thanks for the feedback

Last edited by scooby doo; 09-30-02 at 05:18 AM.
Old 09-13-02, 12:36 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Wink Macho, macho man...

OK, if it's so "girly" why do so many wranglers and roughnecks I run into climb down from their pickemups to ask me about my RX? "Do you like it?", "Dang, that's nice!", and "&@#*!" (appreciative explative) are the most often heard comments. Most of these guys are pretty tough customers - but that doesn't keep them from honest appreciation.

(insert chorus of "I'm a Lumberjack" here)

Sure, it appeals to the ladies, but I've probably had more compliments from construction workers and field hands than I have from lady friends. Maybe these folks don't have to be too concerned about "posing" their masculinity.... Thanx gsenthil for expressing it well - but pink looks lousy on me, and I don't dance out of respect for my GF's feet. Besides, how many graceful water buffaloes have you seen?

This thread is encouraging...IMHO it looks like most of us, unlike Porsche owners, don't regard their transportation device as a penile implant.
Old 09-13-02, 03:30 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To the X5's credit, I'm almost certain the wood trim is real. I've been in a few E46 (current 3 series) and E39 (current 5) and it's all real wood. I would assume the X5 uses real wood too (a quick trip to bmwusa.com lists "poplar wood trim" in light and dark shades standard.
On the other hand, Acura and Infiniti are notorious for "simulated wood" in their sub-$40K models. I'm pretty sure the TL and I35 don't use real wood.
Old 09-13-02, 06:40 PM
LexFather

X5 wood trim is real. The RX invented the car-like SUV and IMO still the standard. Real wood, perfect fit and finish, a VERY DISTICTIVE interior. Decent room, drives smoothly, decent power.

I neve liked SUVs much, but after having a loaner RX multiple times, sometimes for a week, I simply learned to love and appreciate it. It really is someting!
Old 09-14-02, 12:20 PM
shmelvin
Driver School Candidate

Default Not much of an Sport UV

Yes it works just fine off road.....as long as that off the road is your driveway. I had to negotiate a 8" - 10" curb the other day and was trully disgusted when backing back over at about 3 MPH I bottomed out with such a thud and a crunch that I had to get out and look. Everything was fine I could see the big scrape mark where I hit and found no damage. Point being this vehicle is NOT designed for and will NOT work off pavement. I also have a Montero which could drive over this RX like "Big Foot".

Don't get me wrong I like this "Soccer Mom" car it's a great CAR with a bit more room. I live in the north and will report back after the first big snow.
Old 09-15-02, 03:52 AM
salimshah

Received 1,072 Likes on 965 Posts
Default Re: Not much of an Sport UV

Originally posted by shmelvin
I had to negotiate a 8" - 10" curb the other day .
If the RX survived that, I am way impressed.

Salim
Old 09-15-02, 01:03 PM
Shonuff
Pole Position

hahaha the rx will work fine in minor offroad situations like loose sand at the beach or some mud. it never was designed to do heavy offroad duties.....you want that buy a jeep. why would you want to run a 40k vehichle off road?

i have tried to get it stuck at the beach here on south padre island...............could not do it. it is great for what it was designed for..................MINOR OFFROAD DUTIES.

oh yeah maybe that montero is better offroad....MAYBE, but it is afterall a mitsubishi lol
Old 09-15-02, 05:02 PM
scooby doo
Driver School Candidate

Default I stand corrected

I checked out the Beamer today and yes I stand corrected. It has real wood. This is why these forums are great, thanks for correcting me.

Scoob
Old 09-15-02, 05:32 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scoob,

I volunteer to correct you as often as necessary...

Anyone else? LOL
Old 09-16-02, 12:06 PM
RX300wannabeIS300
Driver School Candidate

Default 8"-10" curb???

Errr... yeah, not sure what you've done to your Montero to make it go over almost a foot-high curbs like a "Big Foot" (especially at 3mph)... That's a job for a tricked out crawling machine, which both RX are Montero are NOT. (Frankly, at 3mph I wouldn't even try to test a 5" curb in a parking lot in either the RX or the Montero. Dang!... when was the last time you guys went wheeling???)

One more thing... With a ground clearance of 7'7" what did you expect to happen on that curb???

Fire away!

Last edited by RX300wannabeIS300; 09-16-02 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-16-02, 01:07 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Post Curb Hopping...

Frustrated, I tried a 10" curb with a solid-axle K20 'Burb - 4WLow, eased in, and floored it. When the crashing and banging stopped I found myself on top. Yeah, I got there, but it cost me a big time front end alignment - and a good belly scrape. You're a braver man than I, schmelvin. Hope the RX suffered no similar damage!
Old 01-26-03, 04:35 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Ok, now that's funny!

I remember when someone suggested my dark green second generation Toyota MR2 was girly (HELL I bought it from a Raider Cheerleader!). Maybe it is, all I know is I've gotten about a bazillion jaw drops and girls beg to drive my car. If the girls like it, it'll get the girls and thats all I want out of my manly car... to be a chick magnet.

Originally posted by RX300wannabeIS300

Here's a thought...

What does calling a vehicle "girly" have anything to do with one's "manliness", or "muscularity", or "machoness", or ... you get the point.

Calling RX "girly" is a simple observation of this suv's stand among other vehicles in it's category. It is NOT a reflection of the owner's "manliness" or "girliness", unless, of course you try to take that approach towards boosting your confidence!

In a line-up of the 4 suv's mention in this tread, RX is the "girliest" in looks and performance, plain and simple. And before anyone gets bent out of shape - "girly" is NOT a "bad" thing! Depending on ones perspective, "girly" is what some people (like my wife) want!

One more thing before I get slammed... if you are going to say RX is not a "girly" suv, please provide your definition of "girly"

Last edited by toy4two; 01-26-03 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-26-03, 09:23 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Not much of an Sport UV

Originally posted by shmelvin

Don't get me wrong I like this "Soccer Mom" car it's a great CAR with a bit more room. I live in the north and will report back after the first big snow.
I'd have to agree - Current RX300 - Soccer Mom / Chick's car / practical, great vehicle!

New 2004 RX330 - a little more aggressive, loaded with more goodies and toys! The more toys the better, maybe it will appeal to guys more this time around. I like it!