RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-11, 06:20 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Look guys, the transmission is a weak link, particularily with the Planetary gears...I was able to see first hand at a tranny shop what fails. The owner said 90% of the failures he saw were do to the planetary gears..He replaces them with the updated steel set to replace the original aluminum carrier. I personally changed fluid every 30k miles before my failure at 100k miles...Then I changed every year, or 15k miles and switch to full synthetic (MObil 1 Tranny fluid) added an external filter, and checked fluid condition at every oil change (3.5K).
If you read the owners book city driving is considered severe duty...Fluid should be changed more often. I drove mine to 187k miles and it was running strong. The bummer is Lexus will not divulge when the updated gears came into play...That is because they dont want to take responsibility for a poorly engineered transmission for the RX. It is basically a Camry transmission.
Old 06-29-11, 06:59 AM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
So that`s what I give it, with a bottle of Lube Guard Red of course.
I completely agree on the state of these transmissions. I think the overwhelming majority of these units don't have problems. We hear about all of the problem units on the boards here but don't necessarily hear about the units that never have issues with them.

Really want to find out about this Lube Guard Red...first I have heard of it. I am always a little skeptical of putting additives into the car. My RX300 has less than 60k on it and shifts very smoothly, like new. I do nothing other than ATF drain and fills but if this Lube Guard Red is all it is cracked up to be, I may look into it for a preventative measure sort of thing.

The online reviews rave about it - wonder how many use it on this board besides lexus114?
Old 06-29-11, 11:28 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jbl-1985
I completely agree on the state of these transmissions. I think the overwhelming majority of these units don't have problems. We hear about all of the problem units on the boards here but don't necessarily hear about the units that never have issues with them.

Really want to find out about this Lube Guard Red...first I have heard of it. I am always a little skeptical of putting additives into the car. My RX300 has less than 60k on it and shifts very smoothly, like new. I do nothing other than ATF drain and fills but if this Lube Guard Red is all it is cracked up to be, I may look into it for a preventative measure sort of thing.

The online reviews rave about it - wonder how many use it on this board besides lexus114?

My ATRA Transmission shop uses it,and my Mercedes-Benz independent mechanic uses it as well. Very good stuff,and it`s NOT snake oil. Unless your using Synthetic fluid, I recommended it.
Old 02-28-12, 06:14 AM
Chadl44
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 RX 300 182,000 transmission going bad - To Junk or To Fix

I have a 2000 RX 300 with 183,000. Not had problems with it, replaced tires and brakes and thats about it. O2 sensor was bad but replaced. Almost all the miles are highway in Ohio. Car is an 8 on the outside and a 9 on the inside. Everything works except the transmission. It is driveable but I can tell the transmission may be having future problems, it has a slight whine between gears, every now and then it will stall out the first time you drive forward after starting the engine, and occasionly runs rough while in gear at a stop light.

My uncle who is an independent mechanic said $6k in Ft. Wayne to replace the transmission. He recommended droping back and punting on it. I really really like this car but don't know if I should put a new transmission in it. My uncle said the next thing to go would be the timing belt and water pump, but didn't see any signs these were a current problem. He said if the timing belt goes the engine will hand grenade also. My wife got a new Odyssey and I drive a low mileage G6 to work. I'd rather sell the G6 and drive the Lexus but it needs some work.

Would anybody have an idea of what the transmission repair cost should be and what would the value of the car would be with a bad transmission?
Old 02-28-12, 08:39 AM
salimshah

Received 1,057 Likes on 954 Posts

The value of your RX will vary based on where you are (local market). I would suggest take your vehicle to car-max or some thing similar and let them appraise it. Do keep in mind, the current condition may be recorded and any work that you do afterwords may or may not be accounted if you go back later.

Timing belt is a maintenance item. Lexus recommends it be replaced at 90k. Buyer would always discount the replacement cost ($600 - $1200).

Check locally but the transmission replacement (with exchange or overhaul) can range from 3k to 6k.

My view is if the vehicle is running even with a slight problem, you get more for it vs. when it is being towed around.

Salim
Old 02-28-12, 11:23 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadl44
I have a 2000 RX 300 with 183,000. Not had problems with it, replaced tires and brakes and thats about it. O2 sensor was bad but replaced. Almost all the miles are highway in Ohio. Car is an 8 on the outside and a 9 on the inside. Everything works except the transmission. It is driveable but I can tell the transmission may be having future problems, it has a slight whine between gears, every now and then it will stall out the first time you drive forward after starting the engine, and occasionly runs rough while in gear at a stop light.

My uncle who is an independent mechanic said $6k in Ft. Wayne to replace the transmission. He recommended droping back and punting on it. I really really like this car but don't know if I should put a new transmission in it. My uncle said the next thing to go would be the timing belt and water pump, but didn't see any signs these were a current problem. He said if the timing belt goes the engine will hand grenade also. My wife got a new Odyssey and I drive a low mileage G6 to work. I'd rather sell the G6 and drive the Lexus but it needs some work.

Would anybody have an idea of what the transmission repair cost should be and what would the value of the car would be with a bad transmission?
By the symptoms you describe, the transmission is fine!
The stalling in idle is because of a dirty IACV, clean it, and you'll be fine. That will also fix the rough idle in gear.
The whining noise, is normal to an extent. Do a search on here about it, and you'll see what I mean. It's just the nature of the beast.
Old 03-03-12, 06:11 PM
Xtom73G
Driver

I just replaced my 2000 RX300 AWD tranny last month. 3500 bucks and a lifetime warranty. The weak planetary gear carrier, later replaced by steel, was a well-known issue, which Lexus has never addressed properly. I heard that they got sued big time about it, but I dunno. The engine sludge issue was addressed by installing new engines, since Lexus had specified a totally bogus oil service mileage, causing the many failures. No manufacturer is perfect, probably all have things in their closets that are very negative. The tranny failure left a very bad taste in my mouth, but well, at 138000 miles, I guess it was probably due anyway. The high cost is the problem. Wait till the new 8 speed trannies on newer cars start going out. BIG BUCKS!
Old 03-03-12, 10:52 PM
Aprazur
Rookie

A lifetime transmission warranty for $3500...is a fair deal.

If its a company that will still be in business to service the warranty 1-10 years from now. Warranty don't mean diddlely squat if the company is no longer around.

Just saying...

Jerry
Old 03-04-12, 11:11 AM
RXdriver11
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Had my 99 trany overhaul done by a shop in downtown LA for about $1500 back in 07. A friend of mine worked at the Toyota dealer and they pulled and reinstalled it. All together spent under $2000 total and its running strong. This independent shop gave me a deal because he had overhaul kits for this car laying around. Said mine was the 3rd one he did that month.
The following 2 users liked this post by RXdriver11:
Jamierx300 (02-29-20), Kennylee (02-01-21)
Old 03-05-12, 08:45 AM
Xtom73G
Driver

I just had my timing belt, water pump, idler pulley and tensioner replaced a couple of days ago at a small shop that specializes in Toyota, Lexus, Porche, etc. 782 bucks out the door, including a complete coolant change. The dealer said it would run 612 just for the belt, and a full job could run 1400. Ohhh!
The tranny shop has been in business for decades and will remain, probably the best tranny shop in Arizona. They do require scheduled tranny servicing at their shop to keep warranty alive.
Old 03-05-12, 09:08 AM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Originally Posted by Xtom73G
The tranny shop has been in business for decades and will remain, probably the best tranny shop in Arizona. They do require scheduled tranny servicing at their shop to keep warranty alive.
Would you be willing to share the name of the Tranny shop with us here? Long story short, my RX300 is in the Phoenix area and would love to know of a reputable indy shop, if in fact it is in the Phoenix area.
Old 03-12-12, 12:03 PM
Xtom73G
Driver

Sure, unless they pull it from the board. It's Tri-City, corner of Rio Salado Parkway and Smith, right across from the mall. They've been in business so long that people think the original owners are dead, but not so, just retired. Ask for Dave, who also does the weekend radio show on fixing cars. Don't expect any speculation, they won't guess, and won't quote until they find out exactly what is wrong. They fix only what is wrong, unless additional service is requested.
Old 03-14-12, 01:31 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Thanks much for sharing. Looks like they didn't toast your post!
Old 03-19-12, 09:54 AM
Xtom73G
Driver

The V6 in an RX 300 is a non interference type, and will not "granade" if the timing belt goes. It will simply stop, leaving you stranded. And for me, with my retirement job guarding power line construction sites far out in the Arizona desert, well, not an option. They often place a sticker on the timing belt cover, showing the date and miles at the last change. I just had mine done and the sticker would not adhere to the cover, so I had them glue it to the radiator mount in plain sight. You can check the Lexus web site to see all your recorded services, dates and miles.
Old 03-19-12, 12:22 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtom73G
The V6 in an RX 300 is a non interference type, and will not "granade" if the timing belt goes. It will simply stop, leaving you stranded. And for me, with my retirement job guarding power line construction sites far out in the Arizona desert, well, not an option. They often place a sticker on the timing belt cover, showing the date and miles at the last change. I just had mine done and the sticker would not adhere to the cover, so I had them glue it to the radiator mount in plain sight. You can check the Lexus web site to see all your recorded services, dates and miles.
Not true, the RX300 engine is INTERFERENCE.

Quick Reply: RX300 transmission problem