RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

State Patrol, Speeding Ticket, & Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-02, 11:38 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default State Patrol, Speeding Ticket, & Gas Mileage

It's not hard to figure out how the first two are related, but gas mileage?

So, on my way to class Friday morning a Georgia State Patrol officer pulled me over on the interstate after I had been on it...ummm...2 minutes. He caught me coming over a hill Too fast in a 55 I was glad that the trooper was quick in issuing me my ticket and I was on my way to class without much time lost. So, I'm pissed, at myself for getting a ticket. I know I'm guilty, I was speeding!

Now I force myself to drive the speed limit everywhere (or only SLIGHTLY above just to keep from being creamed by other drivers). I go home later that Friday afternoon to spend the weekend with my folks (2-hours away). I drive the speed limit home and it's brutally slow. If everyone drove the speed limit, seriously, there would be half the accidents there are today. You can react to just about anything in time at the posted speed!

Back to my point. I drove back to my apartment, from home, in the town where I go to school (2-hour drive). I make sure and obey the speed limit (between 55-70mph on the interstate). Not only do I get there in the same amount of time I normally would at my normally 75+ speeds, but I received an average of 25.6 mpg! Much better than I normally get traveling that same route (21mpg...something like that). That includes city driving to the interstate and from the exit to my apartment (not very long). I don't have any modifications to the engine or anything like that. I still have the original air filter from 20k miles ago. I run 93 octane.

This ticket is not a gift in discuise...no, no. But it did help me realize that I can, and should, take my time when driving, especially on the interstate, which I travel daily.

So that's my story - I just thought I would share. BTW, Paddy, This ieSpell kicks ***!

Last edited by LexRX; 09-15-02 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-16-02, 12:16 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now if you'd just use 87 octane gas, you'd really be saving!

Tickets suck...I try and set the cruise control at 8-9 mph over on the highway (Please note I only refer to highway). I've never been pulled at these speeds. Small towns are another issue completely.

So, CL's newest scofflaw, how fast were you going? and
don't they still horsewhip speeders in GA?
Old 09-16-02, 02:31 AM
LexFather

Nick, your first tickect? Please Nolo, and no points on your license (in GA).
Old 09-16-02, 01:48 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MPG vs. MPH

In case you've never seen this cart....

More info at http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/driveHabits.shtml

Last edited by RX300TC; 09-16-02 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-16-02, 02:04 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Good thread - one thing I wanted to add though...
You mentioned that you can avoid almost any accident by just keeping enough distance between you and the car in front of you, regardless of your speed... I like to drive fast, but I never ride someone's a** because you just can't trust the way someone else drives these days - that and tailgating is somewhat rude.

I like 93 octane too - not for gas mileage, but because I feel I get better acceleration and engine performance from it... could be perceived more than real, but what the heck!
Old 09-16-02, 02:37 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I should also mention that I used the cruise the majority of the time dirivng. I usually do on highway trips to keep me from going to fast and it's much more relaxing. Just no more setting the cruise on 80

Nope, no more horsewhipping, it's pistol whipping now. Get with the times! This is my first , and LAST ticket...for while - I'll be real about this.

1SICK, what did you mean by your post "Please Nolo, and no points on your license (in GA)."

Also, interesting to see, that today (Monday) on my way to class the State Patrol was stationed about 50 feet or so from where he was on Friday...same time of day. My speedo was EXACTLY on 55, I was expecting him

Last edited by LexRX; 09-16-02 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-17-02, 11:30 PM
LexFather

I meant PLEAD nolo contende. TO not get points on your license.
Old 09-19-02, 07:06 PM
RX300_ATL
Driver School Candidate

That sucks. Because of a ticket I got a year and a half ago- 52 in a 35 mph zone- my insurance is a few hundred dollars a year more. The speed limit shouldn't have been so low there anyway. And speeding isn't really that dangerous, as long as you aren't doing other things like running lights. And really, when was the last time you saw a cop pull a driver over for running a red light? Almost never! And yet all day I sit at green lights while 5 cars run the light, and then I get a speeding ticket for doing something harmless that impacts me financially for years.

I read that the law in GA is that cops can't write you a ticket for less than 10 over... unless they're a State Trooper, and there aren't too many of them where I drive. So, I usually go about 9 over... and if I'm with a lot of other fast drivers, I'll just fall in behind one of them. I've avoided tickets like that twice- by following another fast driver, and their getting pulled over instead of me. But there's always the possibility of them pulling over me instead, or the both of us.