RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

With the coking engine oil issues...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-11, 10:26 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts
Default With the coking engine oil issues...

...these engines appear to have, has anyone looked into a larger oil pan? Instead of the current 5 quarts, maybe 7 or 8.

There is a hazard in that the oil pan on this engine is rather vulnerable in this chassis, so making it deeper won't work.

I've not found one currently available, only the stock size for replacement, and that's likely because this engine is not high on the list of engines to modify.

My metal-working skills are, well, rudimentary, and it's my wife's car, so I know better than to mess with it too much.

Ideas?
Old 08-03-11, 11:51 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Its the oil return holes in the heads, bad pcv design, hot spots. Thats most of the 1MZ-FE`s problem.
Old 08-03-11, 12:14 PM
Iluvlexus
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2001 has 139k miles and uses 1/8 quart in 3000 miles and the oil looks like new. The oil capacity seems fine for a clean engine. I also agree that the oil pan is vulnerable. I installed a fumoto valve to assist with oil changes and it would make me nervous if the vehicle was used for off-road service.

Last edited by Iluvlexus; 08-03-11 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-03-11, 01:34 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

The oil capacity is fine. Just do your oil changes on time and you won't have to worry about sludge.
Old 08-03-11, 04:25 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Iluvlexus
My 2001 has 139k miles and uses 1/8 quart in 3000 miles and the oil looks like new. The oil capacity seems fine for a clean engine. I also agree that the oil pan is vulnerable. I installed a fumoto valve to assist with oil changes and it would make me nervous if the vehicle was used for off-road service.
You're not nuts to be nervous!

Back in 1990, I took a road-trip with my '85 Nissan 720 pickup. Dallas to Calgary, and back. This was a very low budget road-trip, so campgrounds were the destinations in-between. was packed to spend 2-3 days without supplies, but otherwise, the truck was solid, still relatively-new, and I was still young.

Being in vogue at the time it was slightly-lowered, about 2 inches all around. Oh, and the 195/75/14 original tires were now 195/65/14 tires. Not much of a difference, sure...

I had one of those Fumoto valves on the oil pan, and on a dirt mountain pass in Idaho, don't ask, a rock managed to flip up just the right way and knocked the lever to 'drain'.

The instant I saw the oil light flicker, I shut the engine off and stopped.

I got out quickly, peered underneath, and saw oil draining from the plug. Immediately, I flopped on the ground and, hot oil/exhaust burn potential be damned, I closed that sucker.

Mind you, this dirt mountain pass was dirt for good reason. I figure it was used by the locals maybe a couple of times per week.

I coasted as far as I could, engine off (no power steering is a good thing, sometimes), and rolled to a stop in front of what appeared to be a long-abandoned 'ranch'. Ramshackle house, a barn-esque building...and a very nervous 22 year old me yelling, "HELLO...ANYONE HOME?!"

Five minutes of this, and nobody came out, so I gingerly looked around. Went to the 'barn' and found, on a dusty, litter-strewn counter, a very dusty, no-name bottle of oil. This was 1990, so at least it wasn't a can of oil.

Opened the cap, sure enough, fresh 10W/30.

I put a $5 bill under a block of wood which was next to it, looked around for more, but found nothing but critters and a strange eeriness. Walking to the truck, I almost could not believe my luck.

I put the one quart in, checked it on the stick...still not registering. Well, let's see what happens.

Started the engine, heard some valve clatter for a second, then the oil light goes off and it's as if nothing happened.

I closed the hood, wondered if I was going to be shot at while leaving, then accelerated slowly to about 45 MPH. This is still a gravel/rock road, but at least it's level, now, without deep ruts.

After getting to 45 or so, I'd put it in neutral, turn the engine off, and coast to about 10 MPH. Repeated this for the next few miles until I got to a paved road.

Turned out Arco, Idaho...yes, that Arco, was the next town 'bout 8 miles east.

Stopped in the first gas station, bought four quarts of similar no-name oil, put two in the engine, and all was well all the way back to Dallas, though I did worry a bit for the first day.

I still want to use another one of those valves on our current cars, and I have one on the transmission pan of the diesel-pusher motorhome, but y'never know when you're going to be off-road.

That motorhome has been more off-road than many an SUV, so it was riskier than you may think.
Old 08-04-11, 05:08 AM
Iluvlexus
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a definite survival story. Makes me feel a little better knowing that I purchased the little C clip which prevents inadvertent opening.

Last edited by Iluvlexus; 08-04-11 at 05:25 AM.
Old 08-04-11, 04:26 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hypervish
The oil capacity is fine. Just do your oil changes on time and you won't have to worry about sludge.
And, IYHO, what is "on time" using Mobil 1 5W-30?

Mostly highway driving, but ambient temps are elevated in summer.
Old 08-04-11, 04:28 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Iluvlexus
That is a definite survival story. Makes me feel a little better knowing that I purchased the little C clip which prevents inadvertent opening.
Cool as it is, now, I was fully panicked, then.

I mean, middle-of-nowhere...and here I find one quart, enough to get me to the next actual town.

Never encountered anyone on that mountain pass road, either, and I was on it a good 90 minutes, taking my time, taking pictures and whatnot.
Old 08-04-11, 07:55 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Mobil 1 5W-30 I'd say about 5,000 miles to be safe. You can go up to 7,500 miles but I wouldn't recommend that with Mobil 1. (not enough TBN, for these engines).

My uncle does 10k oci's using Amsoil Synthetic.

I do 4,500 mile oci's using synthetic, usually Pennzoil Ultra or something a long those lines. I have a short oci, even though the car is used 95% on the highway, I drive it real hard though (ie. redline all day, all night) LoL

If I didn't drive it so hard, I'd change the oil at 8,500 miles.
Old 08-05-11, 06:33 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I dont think mine has seen past 4,000 rpm`s yet. When I first got it, it didnt seem to be comfortable @ 3,800 rpm`s. I believe the original owner (a lady) was probably very kind to it...so to speak.
Old 08-05-11, 08:30 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

I got mine at 90k miles. It seems to like upper rpm's. I bought it from a Lexus dealership so I don't know the previous owner but I do have the entire service records. I still took it easy on the car the first week, only redline once to get the car used to it. But,then I let my foot take over. LOL