RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Will Toyota help on a 2002 engine sludge repair?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-11, 10:37 AM
Emailron
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Will Toyota help on a 2002 engine sludge repair?

I have a 2002 Lexus RX300 all-wheel-drive with 90,000 miles on it that I just bought but appears to have a major engine problem of excessive smoke coming out at the tailpipe when the Vechical has been sitting for couple of hours and then started after which it doesn't smoke at all. I assume that this is going to be the sludge problem with that engine that everybody appears to be concerned about. It also appears that Toyota may not help with the repair costs as the class-action lawsuit on this only requires that they do this from eight years of purchase and the car is nine years old. Will they help with any of the repair costs if the sludge issue is a problem though I am the fourth owner as per Carfax with very little way of proving that it has been properly maintained in the past? I understand that I would have to have an authorized dealer verify this issue first. My other options would appear to be to attempt to have the engine repaired totally out of pocket or to have a remanufactured or used engine swapped out. This issue was concealed from me when I bought this Vechical.
Old 08-04-11, 10:41 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

If you just bought it, take it back. See what they can do for you. They probably won't do anything, but it's worth a shot.

Toyota/Lexus might help pay for labor, in goodwill. But they don't have to.

If they don't then, get a engine from a junkyard and have it installed. Find an engine from an RX that's been in an accident so this way you can be sure everything is running fine.
Old 08-09-11, 06:07 PM
GlennB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to contact Lexus, there was a class action lawsuit that although Lexus does not admit any guilt they will replace the engine as long as you can prove you made a reasonable effort to do the oil changes on time. I had this problem in January 2011 and it took Lexus 4 months total to figure out if I fell into the lawsuit range and did the maintenace. They did determine that I was entitled to the free engine replacement. They did do an engine replacement but they did polish the old heads instead of replaceing with new. Since you just got this I recommend you take it back to the dealer as he sold you a lemon. Contact an attorney also since its pretty obvious the dealer knew about the vehicles condition. Good luck
Old 08-10-11, 06:34 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

THe original lawsuit stated that the warranty was good for 8 years 2months...Worth trying with Toyota and see what they say before making a commitment....