RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2000 RX300 beeping every 15-20 seconds

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-11, 01:07 PM
JimNPhx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 RX300 beeping every 15-20 seconds

Hello,

I tried doing a search on this forum and did not find an answer. I have been hearing a "beep" lately when vehicle is parked. It seems to be every 15-20 seconds. I do not know if it does it when I drive but I believe it does it when running.

Anyway, the "rear light out" light is on on my dash display but it appears that all my rear lights are working. I do not have a back-up alarm.

Does the beep have anything to do with the light out warning? if not, any suggestions?
Any suggestions on how to get the warning light off?

Thanks

Jim
Old 08-04-11, 04:26 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is it a lengthy beep or just a quick beep? Kinda weird problem.
Old 08-04-11, 07:51 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I know that if I have the remote in my pocket, and I press the lock button with the door open the car will beep until i let go of the button or till i close the door.
Old 08-05-11, 05:46 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Welcome to the Club.

Parking brake is one possibility. Another possibility is the top rubber cover of the brake fluid reservoir. That has a sensor that can go on the fritz and causing a dinging (also when driving) every so often. I disconnected it and found out that was the issue that way.
Old 08-05-11, 09:22 AM
salimshah

Received 1,086 Likes on 977 Posts

It will be helpful to know the type of sound ...

Beeeeeeeeeeeep

or

Beep Beep ...

or

Ding

Salim
Old 08-05-11, 09:32 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JimNPhx
Anyway, the "rear light out" light is on on my dash display but it appears that all my rear lights are working
Are you sure it is the "light out" indicator? If so, check out the 3rd brake light (often overlooked) and the front lights. If it is actually the brake warning light, that would fit with the audible alarm.
Old 08-05-11, 01:30 PM
JimNPhx
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone! After reading more posts I have come to the realization that I am also a doof and forgot about the "3rd" brake light on the hatch when checking lights. I believe this bulb is out. (Had to check myself so only going by lack of light on garage door when pressing pedal.)
Will get my wife involved tonight to know for sure.

FYI: The sound is a short 2-3 second beep

If it is not the light I will check fluid.

Also, the warning light is not on when I first start car but comes on as soon as I press the brake pedal. I know this was mentioned in other posts so I wanted to add it here.

Thanks
Old 08-05-11, 01:48 PM
salimshah

T
stuff deleted
Also, the warning light is not on when I first start car but comes on as soon as I press the brake pedal.
more stuff deleted
Thanks
This means abnormal current flow detected in the tail light brake circuit => any of the three bulbs is popped or about to pop or right wattage bulb is not being used.

At the same time, this problem does not cause any audible alarm (no beeps).

When you insert the key in ignition and turn it to one position before start, your dash should light up in self test mode and all warning lights should come on ... this is the check that your dash lights are working ... I think the fuel low light does not come on.

Salim
Old 08-08-11, 07:50 AM
JimNPhx
Driver School Candidate

Well I replaced the 3rd brake light bulb and the light on my dash turned off. As it has already been mentioned, it had nothing to do with the beep. And yes, the beep is still there!

Unfortunately I just have not had the time to isolate where the sound is coming from. It does not help that I have a hearing disability and it is a challenge to identify the exact direct the sound is coming from.

Will keep you posted.

Thx
Jim
Old 08-08-11, 05:19 PM
LA4Mead
Driver

It's hard to understand from the description you gave, but could it possibly be the "ding" chime indicating the brake fluid "low" chime (and flashes the dash warning light marked "BRAKE" - NOT to be confused with the dash warning light for the light bulb out)? The BRAKE warning light for the fluid level is the same warning light used for the parking brake - again different from the warning light for a burned out brake light bulb.

The warning chime doesn't make a "beep", but you didn't describe it in detail so it's hard to know. If it occurs inside the car when you step on the brake pedal or turn on high wattage electrical items while the ignition switch is on, it may well be the brake fluid warning, which occurs well in advance of the level really being low. Visually you may still think the level's good when it chimes and flashes the "BRAKE" warning light. If it goes away after you add some (fresh) brake fluid at the master cylinder, then you'll know.
Old 08-09-11, 06:49 AM
JimNPhx
Driver School Candidate

Sorry I cannot be more descriptive. To me it is a beeeeeeeeeeeeeep that lasts around 2 secs each beep. The beeps are ~ 25 secs apart.

I have not heard any beeps while driving and I do not have any warning lights on. The only time I am aware of the beeps is when the car is parked in the garage.

Thx

Jim
Old 08-09-11, 10:42 AM
LA4Mead
Driver

Sorry I cannot be more descriptive. To me it is a beeeeeeeeeeeeeep that lasts around 2 secs each beep. The beeps are ~ 25 secs apart.

I have not heard any beeps while driving and I do not have any warning lights on. The only time I am aware of the beeps is when the car is parked in the garage.

Thx

Jim
Does the beeeeeee...p occur when you lock the car with the remote? If so, that extended beep is telling you the car did not lock... one of the power lock motors failed to lock, or there is a door not closed all the way. That's the only extended beep I know of. Perhaps an aftermarket alarm may have another extended beep. Are you the original owner?

Does anyone else know of another extended beep the car can make (when parked)?

Forget about the Brake warning... That's not your situation.

Let us know what you find out. Good luck.
Old 08-09-11, 12:24 PM
JimNPhx
Driver School Candidate

Anyone know where I can buy a "I'm an Idiot" bumper sticker?

I started scratching my head even more when my wife's car started beeping. (She noticed this when my car was not in the garage.) My brain cells started to finally kick in and I pulled both cars out of the garage. Yup . . . still heard the beep!

Must be something in the garage that I have not been able to locate yet, however it is safe to say it is not coming from the vehicle.

I am going to go sit in the corner with a pointy hat on my head for a while . . .

Old 08-09-11, 12:30 PM
salimshah

I bet the water softener is low on salts.

Salim