RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

FWIW - Timing belt pulley "chirp"............

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-11, 02:37 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 315 Likes on 274 Posts
Default FWIW - Timing belt pulley "chirp"............

I had the timing belt pulleys replaced by the dealer at 120,000 (along with the timing belt) and a "chirp" has developed over the last couple of years (150,000 miles now). Took it in and they diagnosed a noisy upper timing belt pulley. I told them that both pulleys and the timing belts were just replaced 2 years ago. So they replaced the pulley for just the cost of the part ($107). I had the same problem with my BMW (accessory belt tensioner pulley) so I figured, yeah, that's what it sounds like.

Well there was no difference after I drove the car off the lot so I took it back and asked them to try again! This time, they decided it was the timing belt itself. I've never heard of a "chirping" timing belt but they replaced it and the problem appears solved now (they didn't charge me to replace the belt).

Strange one. File under "color me surprized............."

Last edited by sktn77a; 08-13-11 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-13-11, 10:45 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

SKTN- That's disapointing to say the least. I can (and have) bought that exact pulley (OEM, made by Koyo) for a little over $25. I can buy the timing belt, and both upper and lower pullies for less than what they charged for the upper pulley alone. ALL OEM parts!
And as far as the pulley not fixing it, I wonder if there is a chance that they used aftermarket parts because the T/L parts are such high quality that they definitely shouldn't have given a problem in that kind of time. Also, with the plastic timing belt cover off, they should have been able to tell which was the problem the 1st time around with a mechanics stethoscope And a water spray bottle.
Old 08-14-11, 04:18 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
SKTN- That's disapointing to say the least. I can (and have) bought that exact pulley (OEM, made by Koyo) for a little over $25. I can buy the timing belt, and both upper and lower pullies for less than what they charged for the upper pulley alone. ALL OEM parts!
And as far as the pulley not fixing it, I wonder if there is a chance that they used aftermarket parts because the T/L parts are such high quality that they definitely shouldn't have given a problem in that kind of time. Also, with the plastic timing belt cover off, they should have been able to tell which was the problem the 1st time around with a mechanics stethoscope And a water spray bottle.
Roger, nothing worse than having to depend on the dealer service department. I have had numerous experiences with two different Lexus dealers on warranty issues and they lied and/or did shoddy work which had to be redone on every item. I could tell so many stories. One of my favorites is when the Service Manager called me at work and tried to bribe me with a free detail and gas tank fill-up if I "forget" to mention a few things on the upcoming quality survey. He told me his compensation depended on getting a good score and he hoped I would cooperate. I laughed and told him he should put more effort into training his service techs and less effort into bribing customers. Another is when I got my RX300 back from the free 1000 mile oil change. The hood had a deep scratch (would easily catch your fingernail) from the windshield to the bumper. I saw it immediately and got the Service Manager. He said I couldn't prove his guys did it but he could easily buff it out. He took it back and the guy whipped out a rotary (not dual action) buffer and went to town. He became clear that he was going to take her right down to the paint and I made him stop. The Service Manager said he would split the cost of getting the hood clear coated. I said there is no way I am going to clearcoat the hood of a 2 month old car. I'll stop here but I could write a book about those two Lexus dealerships.

Last edited by artbuc; 08-14-11 at 04:22 AM.
Old 08-14-11, 02:38 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by code58
I'm pretty sure they used genuine Toyota parts..... but you pay through the nose for them! And the pulley wasn't bad anyway. Yes, I know the water trick but try telling them how to do their job.... (I did on the second time around). I just wish I had the time and the patience to DIY, but I don't.
Old 08-15-11, 12:00 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Sadly Art, I know exaxtly what you're talking about, and I do mean sadly! Gives the good dealers a bad name also, and there are good dealers. You just wish the bad ones could be put out of business in a hurry so they could be replaced by good ones. I fear that it's not getting better either. Not near enough of the quality people even being trained to COMPETENTLY fill the slots.
Old 08-15-11, 12:02 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

SKTN- read my reply to Art. (above)

(spent 30+ years in the automotive trade, working on every car as though it were my own)
Old 08-15-11, 07:03 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Code: I don't have the luxury of living near more than one Lexus (or other brand) dealerships so I'm not in a position to compare (good vs bad). I realize you have one on every corner in CA so you're lucky (or not, as the case may be)!

I have had universally negative experiences with Lexus and BMW independents, though! At least with the main delerships, if they do screw up, my experience has been that they will usually fix it without too much grief. That has not been my expreince at independents - they try to b_llsh_t me into just going away!

One thing I have noticed is that the mechanics no longer specialize - the same mechanic who changes my oil does the brakes and the timing belt and changed one of the side-marker bulbs. Again, don't know if this makes a difference but I remember the days when they had "transmission guys" and "engine guys".
Old 08-16-11, 12:45 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

SKTN-
Trust me, I feel for anyone who MUST have someone else work on his car, for whatever reason. It's difficult to find high quality personnel in any business any more, and from all I read the prospects are certainly NOT looking up!
I realize you have one on every corner in CA so you're lucky (or not, as the case may be)!
I chuckled at that. So. Ca. is a country in itself. Always been competitive here and that works to advantage in a lot of ways. Certainly a lot of things that are not as pleasant here on the "Left Coast" as they used to be. 4 miles from the ocean we enjoy some of the finest weather I've ever experienced anywhere in the world, taken as a whole, 365 days of the year. We have thought about leaving several times, but the weather has kept us here each time.

P.S. We do have some really 1st class independent shops (Lexus) that are almost always staffed by former dealer mechanics who tired of the dealer scene. In an independent, they have to be good, because most of their work is word of mouth, and the good ones thrive on providing high quality work, honesty, and integrity with O cost in advertising. (treat the customer honestly and fairly and you WON'T HAVE to advertise)

Last edited by code58; 08-16-11 at 12:52 AM.