RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Sorry another Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-11, 10:32 AM
soloblazer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry another Transmission Question

I have a 00 RX300 AWD with 160k miles, the tranny shifts hard, no slipping, but 2 times now my wife has been driving the rx and once it went into neutral and wouldnt go into any gear, just rev up, i switch it from F-R-P etc and nothing, i put it in neutral and reved it up a couple times and put it back in gear and perfect again shifts fine. Now today she got in it and put in drive and when you press the gas it revs up to like 1000-1300 rpms and kicked into gear, not slipping, just boom would go, and would shift fine but when she would stop and try to go again same thing, also if you put in p-r-d-2-l or anything it was the same, i put it in N again rev it up a couple times and boom it works fine again, very strange. Any ideas? i have drained the fluid and added more a couple times, but havent changed the filter for awhile. so should i do that? could it be a sensor? when it shifts it shifts fine other then a little hard i guess. Is it time for a new tranny, if so i have access to some used ones, can i put a newer one in it? Or should i just put a rebuilt one in it? i have read lots of forums about the tranny issues on these but none that seem to have this problem. thanks in advance.
Old 08-18-11, 10:48 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

It doesn't sound like a transmission failure.It's a good thing that it isn't slipping, that proves that it's most likely not a transmission failure. Try changing the filter just to be make sure it's not clogged though.

Are you getting any CEL's?

How are the mounts? (ie. transmission mount, engine mount) That could be causing the transmission to not engage in gear. Gear Linkage?
Old 08-18-11, 10:59 AM
soloblazer
Driver School Candidate

No codes, i will try the filter.
Old 08-18-11, 11:29 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

BTW: Be sure to use Toyota Type-IV compatible fluid.

Also, are you able to physically move the gear shifter into gear? OR, will it just not move into D.
Old 08-18-11, 12:51 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
BTW: Be sure to use Toyota Type-IV compatible fluid.

Also, are you able to physically move the gear shifter into gear? OR, will it just not move into D.

And be sure to drink your ovaltine.
Old 08-18-11, 01:13 PM
soloblazer
Driver School Candidate

Yes the physical shifter shifts fine, i have been using toyota tranny fluid.
Old 08-18-11, 05:17 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 313 Likes on 272 Posts

I hate to be a doomsayer but it doesn't sound good. While it may not be a catastrophic planetary gear failure, it sounds like an external linkage problem or an internal servo/valve problem.

Crossed fingers that changing the filter will fix it!
Old 08-18-11, 05:25 PM
lserlohn
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is there a particular whine noise coming from the driver side of your car? Cold start or accelerate?
Old 08-18-11, 06:25 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Almost every RX i've seen or heard has a whine. Very faint, it's just the nature of these cars. It's almost like a whirling noise.
Old 08-18-11, 06:27 PM
lserlohn
Pole Position

But after I replaced a new tranny, the whine noise is gone...

Originally Posted by hypervish
Almost every RX i've seen or heard has a whine. Very faint, it's just the nature of these cars. It's almost like a whirling noise.
Old 08-19-11, 06:51 AM
soloblazer
Driver School Candidate

No whining noises, or other odd noises, also another question, When you let off the gas the RX slows fast alot faster then any other vehicle has done that i have. when running done the highway and you let off the gas it seems to slow fast almost like something may be binding up or something or does all RX do that.
Old 08-19-11, 07:59 AM
lserlohn
Pole Position

I am not a expert, but if you think there is a shift problem, you may have your ECU reset. I am not sure if disconecting the battery would work, but go to dealer and ask them to reset it by a particular Toyota scan tool can definitely work. I solved my shift problem by dealer. They charged $135 for a several minutes work.

Originally Posted by soloblazer
No whining noises, or other odd noises, also another question, When you let off the gas the RX slows fast alot faster then any other vehicle has done that i have. when running done the highway and you let off the gas it seems to slow fast almost like something may be binding up or something or does all RX do that.
Old 08-19-11, 09:12 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by soloblazer
All RX's do that. They have lot's of engine braking power.
Old 08-20-11, 03:07 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I just got a new tranny at 109,000 km's not miles so as mentioned welcome to the club.
Old 08-22-11, 07:16 AM
soloblazer
Driver School Candidate

drove it about 200 miles yesterday and never did the formentioned issues, but does have a weird shift everyonce and a while, NOT SLIPPING, just either a hard shift or hard down shift or something, also when your in 4 gear it seems like you almost have to floor it to get it to downshift.

Quick Reply: Sorry another Transmission Question