RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Cannot remove PCV valve

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-11, 08:57 AM
jbobst
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannot remove PCV valve

I am trying to get my PCV valve off, and it just won't come off. The little "L" shaped hose came off just fine, but I have pulled and pulled, and even started to pry it up with a flat head screw driver and it won't budge. I thought maybe it was a screw on type (I think I read somewhere where they started going to a screw on type valve) so I spun it around probably a hundred time counter clockwise, but it just spins freely and never unthreads itself (assuming it even has threads, which I don't think it does. The grommet at the base of the valve is very brittle and when I tried to pry off the valve with a screw driver, some of the grommet broke off. Any advice on how to remove this thing???
Old 08-20-11, 09:04 AM
jbobst
Driver School Candidate

By the way, this is a 2001 fwd RX300
Old 08-20-11, 09:28 AM
Spence1978
Driver School Candidate

Are you sure you are at the PCV? Left side of intake manifold?
Old 08-20-11, 09:54 AM
jbobst
Driver School Candidate

Yep, positive. I've looked through many posts on this forum, specifically the DIY spark plug thread by Lexmex. He has pictures of the PCV valve and hose removal, and there is no doubt about what I am trying to remove. I suppose I need to just keep prying it off, so I'll continue on with that process.
Old 08-20-11, 10:07 AM
jbobst
Driver School Candidate

Ok, I finally pryed it out. It was pretty oily and seemed to almost have baked on oil flakes. The grommet was very brittle and kind of broke apart when trying to remove it. I think a few small chunks of the grommet fell into the hole that goes into the engine. Is this a really bad thing???
Old 08-20-11, 11:51 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jbobst
Ok, I finally pryed it out. It was pretty oily and seemed to almost have baked on oil flakes. The grommet was very brittle and kind of broke apart when trying to remove it. I think a few small chunks of the grommet fell into the hole that goes into the engine. Is this a really bad thing???
It probably would be best that those pieces were removed so that they don't plug an oil return hole and cause oil starvation. It's to bad it's the rear valve cover, that's a lot harder to remove and replace. If you had a bore scope and a "grabber tool" to remove the pieces and determine that they're all there, maybe you could get by without pulling the valve cover, but I wouldn't simply ignore it.
Old 08-21-11, 03:05 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by jbobst
I was told that there is a baffle which will prevent chunks from causing any problem but I don't know that for sure. I was very careful when I removed mine and managed to get it off without losing any chunks. You can buy a decent aftermarket grommet for around a buck so don't get one from the dealer. I always clean/reuse my PCV valve but you can get a new one pretty cheap. PCV valves on these engines require more than normal maintenance. It is a whole lot easier to pop in a new grommet every couple years than to wait until it hardens.

PS A partially clogged PCV valve and/or hard (non-sealing) grommet will cause your valve covers to leak.

Last edited by artbuc; 08-21-11 at 03:16 AM.
Old 08-21-11, 11:49 AM
calticboy
Driver School Candidate

I had a problem removing Grommet myself, which fell inside the hole. It took me hours to remove the grommet but finally remove. I used L-long-nose plier and flat screw driver. And Vacuum to remove the small pieces that left behind. Use a vacuum that you can bend the end like fish hook. Good luck