RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

VSC & CEL lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-11, 12:42 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by insuralife
Would this defective part also cause a very low idle and stall-out condition. intermittent problem.. only at intial start up. After operational for a while the low idle is gone. lights always remain on..
thanks in advance...
Idle issues are often the IAC valve" https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...out-yours.html

But I would get that code read and chase that down before looking at anything else. Lots of things can make it run poorly.
Old 09-23-11, 03:03 PM
insuralife
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy07
Idle issues are often the IAC valve" https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...out-yours.html

But I would get that code read and chase that down before looking at anything else. Lots of things can make it run poorly.
Carguy........ Thanks for the response...
I did get the codes read at both an Autozone store and at an Advance Auto Supply.. Both said it was the up stream A/F sensor.
My question was just could that sensor cause an idle problem.. On a fresh startup (can't have a 'cold start' in Florida with 90 degree temps!!) there are the occassions that the engine will idle very low. leading to several stall outs. After driving for a few minutes, the problem ALWAYS goes away. On a second start up the problem does not occur.
What code will the IAC throw?
Lastly, how do I clear the codes? disconnect the batt??

Again, thanks!
Old 09-23-11, 05:02 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

The A/F sensor can cause it to idle like crap, but I would think you are probably having issues with the IAC valve. The IAC valve will not really throw a code on it's own, just screw up the idle. I would still replace the A/F sensor before doing anything else though. Just disconnect the battery for a few minutes to clear the code.
Old 09-24-11, 01:01 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The A/F sensor can cause it to idle like crap, but I would think you are probably having issues with the IAC valve. The IAC valve will not really throw a code on it's own, just screw up the idle. I would still replace the A/F sensor before doing anything else though. Just disconnect the battery for a few minutes to clear the code.
Carguy- It would always be best if they popsted the DTC #. If it's the heater, that's not likely to cause the idle problems, to say nothing of the fact I don't have a lot of faith in the people pulling the codes. They know what the code reader says, but it takes someone a little more experienced to know when it's throwing a code that isn't actually telling you the problem and you've just thrown hard earned money away. (maybe YOUR money wasn't hard earned, but MINE was!)
Old 09-24-11, 08:43 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by code58
Carguy- It would always be best if they popsted the DTC #. If it's the heater, that's not likely to cause the idle problems, to say nothing of the fact I don't have a lot of faith in the people pulling the codes. They know what the code reader says, but it takes someone a little more experienced to know when it's throwing a code that isn't actually telling you the problem and you've just thrown hard earned money away. (maybe YOUR money wasn't hard earned, but MINE was!)
If the heater dies and trips a light and everything else is fine, will the computer do anything like lock out closed loop and go into limp mode or lock out overdrive? I guess my question is does a CEL for the heater mean anything other than FYI the heater is dead?

Last edited by carguy07; 09-24-11 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-26-11, 12:43 PM
insuralife
Driver School Candidate

HAving read this thread.. I have checked my sensor asnd it is the heater ... No continuity between the blk wires.. all 3 lights are on and an occasional low idle.. Now today, never a problem with idle!! go figure! Where the hell is my old Yugo??
Old 09-26-11, 12:47 PM
insuralife
Driver School Candidate

No, the idle wasn't bad, like a real rich situation, just a low rpm idle.. 450 to 500 rpm

I have a F-150 that has an idle problem..below 1500 rpm it is as rich as Saudi Arabian!.