RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Hello! Few questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-11, 05:43 PM
lddrew
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Hello! Few questions

Hey guys, my name is Lee and I live in Carrollton GA. I DD a 07 2500HD duramax. My long term girlfriend drives a 2000 model RX300. She plans on having the car for the next 8+ years and I plan on keeping her around for even longer. First off we both love the car. It is very comfortable and great on the road. I have a few questions about the car. I am an active user on duramaxforum (2500 posts) and will search and look for info as best as I can. Sometimes the search function just doesn't get it done.

I've done some reading on here and think i'm going to do the throttle mod, and hopefully replace the pesky oxygen sensor that keeps throwing a code. Since I don't dd it I don't know but on my dmax if the code is on the truck drives with reduced power. Would like to make it disappear. But yeah the car has 130,000 on it. Has had a water pump replaced on it. I want to do a tranny service on it ASAP. Any other super common things i should look for or expect to go out? Like I say any input is appreciated, I look forward to becoming a part of the community.

What I would like to replace.
-The headlight covers are very cloudy. It has new bulbs but the covers are junk. Am i better off trying to clean them or buy a replacement. I'd like to just buy a new assembly and call it done. But I can only find entire light, bulb, wiring, cover assembly all in one.
-The sun visors don't stay up anymore and gradually fall down while driving. I do like driving the car but at 6' 4'' it is rather annoying to drop into your sightline. What would i need to make this problem go away? Part numbers or links would be fantastic.
-The rear gate hydraulics. The gate requires way more effort than it should to raise it. I would like to fully overhaul this system.
-Floormats? Any suggestions. It is a charcoal interior. What she would like best would be dark gray mats that replace the carpet ones. I know weathertech makes quality stuff but $$$. Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 08-31-11, 06:40 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!!

The throttle mod does make a difference. I recommend it.

In the RX300's case the oxygen sensor doesn't impact the performance. It will only affect the fuel economy, but not by much. Because the codes for the oxygen sensors are usually for the heating element's and not the actual performance of the sensor.

For the headlights just pick up some headlight restoration fluid and rub it on <<that's what she said... It should clear up, and it'll look new for about a year and then you'll have to do it again. << It beats paying $200+ for headlights.

The sun visor coming down is a "normal" problem with the RX300. It falls down because the home link ways it down. You can peel it open and try fixing it. I don't remember exactly how it's done, but there's a thread on here somewhere... < I'll post the link if I can find it....

For the rear gate, just go ahead and replace the hydraulics... They are relatively cheap. Mine are kind of dead, they keep the rear gate up in the air but it doesn't pull it up by itself I have to push it open but then it'll hold the weight. I don't feel like replacing mine till the rear gate falls on my head one day....LOL

When you do the transmission service be sure to only do a drain and fill, and use fluid compatible with Toyota Type-IV.
Old 08-31-11, 07:44 PM
IndyRX300
Driver

HAve those pesky seat belts stopped retracting yet???
Old 08-31-11, 07:49 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyRX300
If they have... then clean the area where the belt rubs on the side pillars. It should retract much quicker and with less effort on your end.
Old 08-31-11, 07:51 PM
IndyRX300
Driver

Man I have cleaned them to no end. Even went as far as using 1000 grit sand paper to clean them up. Im gonna steam clean them next and hope that works.
Old 08-31-11, 08:03 PM
lddrew
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hypervish
Welcome to Club Lexus!!

The throttle mod does make a difference. I recommend it.

In the RX300's case the oxygen sensor doesn't impact the performance. It will only affect the fuel economy, but not by much. Because the codes for the oxygen sensors are usually for the heating element's and not the actual performance of the sensor.

For the headlights just pick up some headlight restoration fluid and rub it on <<that's what she said... It should clear up, and it'll look new for about a year and then you'll have to do it again. << It beats paying $200+ for headlights.

The sun visor coming down is a "normal" problem with the RX300. It falls down because the home link ways it down. You can peel it open and try fixing it. I don't remember exactly how it's done, but there's a thread on here somewhere... < I'll post the link if I can find it....

For the rear gate, just go ahead and replace the hydraulics... They are relatively cheap. Mine are kind of dead, they keep the rear gate up in the air but it doesn't pull it up by itself I have to push it open but then it'll hold the weight. I don't feel like replacing mine till the rear gate falls on my head one day....LOL

When you do the transmission service be sure to only do a drain and fill, and use fluid compatible with Toyota Type-IV.
good deal, i've always noticed that the peddle has some slack to it. will give it a go.

and that's good to hear on the sensor, i need to get a code reader for diagnosing other peoples cars. I've got a tuner on my pickup and it can work for some applications but def. not hers

I'm glad the headlight/visor are going to be close to free. The cost of new parts had be going I guess that's what a luxury vehicle means in terms of parts. I found the thread about the DIY fix. thanks

and that's what i'll do on the hydraulics if i can hunt down a part number. It really bugs her and would probably score me some points.

and yeah i'm looking forward to being the primary maintenance guy on her car. in the past it's been ignored and put off and lied about. so yeah. the tranny has got to be done because i'm reading that the 99-00 are the worst for failing.
I will definitely just do the drain and fill, i've read horror stories about mechanical flushing machines. Toyota type IV here i come haha.

that should do me for now. I'll stick around and try to learn. if anyone ever has any diesel questions i'll be sure to help out (cause that'll happen :lol) of course i'll be looking into DIY must do maintenance and little upgrades.

Thanks for the warm welcome,
Lee
Old 08-31-11, 08:05 PM
lddrew
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IndyRX300
haha now that you mention it i have noticed her seat belts do that on occasion. add that to the list...

on my truck one of the belts has somehow gotten twisted. like a twist you should be able to fix by manipulating it but apparently it's always been like that
Old 08-31-11, 08:59 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,106 Likes on 995 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
stuff deleted
but it doesn't pull it up by itself I have to push it open but then it'll hold the weight. I don't feel like replacing mine till the rear gate falls on my head one day....LOL
stuff deleted
Hyper:
The hydraulic struts simply provide counter balance to weight and from day 1 they never pushed the lid all the way up.

Op:
When you replace the struts, replace both of them.

Salim
Old 08-31-11, 09:07 PM
lddrew
Driver School Candidate

oh man, i was hoping i could replace them and they sort of help assist in the lifting process. maybe they aren't that bad afterall. thanks