RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Best price on air servos? And where?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-11, 07:33 PM
powerslide
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best price on air servos? And where?

I have cleaned the air servos a couple of times already.Lucky on one. The one that changes the air from the head,to mid, then to feet, still makes noise. What web site has the best price so far? Does anyone have a good picture with arrows pointing to each servos with part numbers. Much thanks
Old 09-09-11, 12:18 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by powerslide
I have cleaned the air servos a couple of times already.Lucky on one. The one that changes the air from the head,to mid, then to feet, still makes noise. What web site has the best price so far? Does anyone have a good picture with arrows pointing to each servos with part numbers. Much thanks
I can tell you why the servo still makes noise. Lexus uses tiny Mattel like motors in the servo's and door locks. They are made in China (probably nothing wrong with the Chinese quality) but I have taken the motor apart and they are simply TINY. The brushes wear out (understandable) and then the motor has no real power. It has to overcome an overcenter spring that keeps it in that position once the motor puts it there, otherwise the incoming air will tend to push it back. The poor worn out brushed motor simply isn't able to overcome the rather adaquate spring pressure of the overcenter spring, so it sits ther and chatters like an old man trying to roll a bolder up hill. You release the overcenter spring and the motor does no chattering and easily pushes the door to where it needs to be with no noise, but it won't stay there for the ressons already mentioned. It's a rip off because when you can find those little motors (you generally have to buy some quantity) they can often be purchased for $1. ea. I don't honestly know of anywhere aftermarket that sells the servo's. Best place to get a sevo would be one of the Lexus dealers that sells discount online. I have tried to repair the motor once I had it apart (used to doing this kind of thing) but when the TINY brushes are worn out, there isn't much you can do.
Old 09-09-11, 08:46 AM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
I can tell you why the servo still makes noise. Lexus uses tiny Mattel like motors in the servo's and door locks. They are made in China (probably nothing wrong with the Chinese quality) but I have taken the motor apart and they are simply TINY. The brushes wear out (understandable) and then the motor has no real power. It has to overcome an overcenter spring that keeps it in that position once the motor puts it there, otherwise the incoming air will tend to push it back. The poor worn out brushed motor simply isn't able to overcome the rather adaquate spring pressure of the overcenter spring, so it sits ther and chatters like an old man trying to roll a bolder up hill. You release the overcenter spring and the motor does no chattering and easily pushes the door to where it needs to be with no noise, but it won't stay there for the ressons already mentioned. It's a rip off because when you can find those little motors (you generally have to buy some quantity) they can often be purchased for $1. ea. I don't honestly know of anywhere aftermarket that sells the servo's. Best place to get a sevo would be one of the Lexus dealers that sells discount online. I have tried to repair the motor once I had it apart (used to doing this kind of thing) but when the TINY brushes are worn out, there isn't much you can do.
Any markings on the motor ... maybe we will be lucky to find them on open market ... like the door lock.

Salim
Old 09-09-11, 02:56 PM
powerslide
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do RC airplanes. I can get the motor. It is just the gear pressed on the shaft that is hard to replicate.I guess i could transfer the inside and use the outer part? You are right. It is a rip off. And from what i see on here, all RX`s will encounter it. Could you imagine the money the dealers have made. Not everyone like us can do our own work.
Old 09-09-11, 05:09 PM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally Posted by powerslide
I do RC airplanes. I can get the motor. It is just the gear pressed on the shaft that is hard to replicate.I guess i could transfer the inside and use the outer part? You are right. It is a rip off. And from what i see on here, all RX`s will encounter it. Could you imagine the money the dealers have made. Not everyone like us can do our own work.
There are puller tools available. I have even tapped it off using drill bit and holding the gear in a vise. [see the post on door-lock-actuator].

Salim
Old 09-09-11, 07:03 PM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

My 2001 RX has the noise
and my 2000 GS300

The next person who takes apart their servo can you please post pics.
Old 09-09-11, 07:33 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicotrini
My 2001 RX has the noise
and my 2000 GS300

The next person who takes apart their servo can you please post pics.
Last post at the bottom: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...old-air-4.html