RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Changing ATF for first time

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-11 | 01:49 PM
adamc
Driver School Candidate

Default Changing ATF for first time

I have an 02 RX 300 with 115k miles. The transmission has never been serviced before. I am planning on dropping the pan, changing the filter and gasket, and refilling with Toyota type IV ATF.

Some folks say that you shouldn't do this on a high mileage car, as the detergent in the new fluid will wash away dirt and debris in the clutches and cause a catastrophic failure. Anyone had a problem following ATF change when it was performed on a high mileage car for the first time?
Old 10-09-11 | 02:31 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

It's just a myth, no damage should happen. 115k miles isn't a lot, in terms of how much debris may have built up. If it were past 200k, I'd leave it alone.

Is there any specific reason as to why you are just now servicing the transmission? I suggest first doing 2 drain and fills, and then on the 3rd drop the pan and change the filter.
Old 10-09-11 | 02:50 PM
adamc
Driver School Candidate

I am just now doing it because the Lexus owners manual states the atf is a lifetime item. It was not until I started browsing here that I discovered the transmissions were problematic and needed frequent servicing
Old 10-09-11 | 04:04 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

"Lifetime" is a flat-out lie.

115K isn't too high. See if the old fluid smells burned when you drain it. If not, you may have escaped damage.

I change Princess' transmission fluid every 20K miles, just to be on the safe side. BTW, you can buy it at a discount at a Toyota dealer, if you're using OEM fluid.
Old 10-10-11 | 04:56 PM
adamc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mckellyb
"Lifetime" is a flat-out lie.

115K isn't too high. See if the old fluid smells burned when you drain it. If not, you may have escaped damage.

I change Princess' transmission fluid every 20K miles, just to be on the safe side. BTW, you can buy it at a discount at a Toyota dealer, if you're using OEM fluid.
When I pulled the dipstick, the fluid appeared to have a faint, but not overwhelming burnt smell to it. Is it still ok to change the fluid and filter?
Old 10-10-11 | 05:00 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

It's fine to change it, go ahead and do it you will thank yourself.

No fluid is a lifetime fluid, except maybe water... LOL, but even that evaporates.

I change my trans. fluid every 10-15k. Since you have an 02' you can probably get away with OCI at 25k miles, but do three drain and fills.
Old 10-10-11 | 05:23 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by adamc
When I pulled the dipstick, the fluid appeared to have a faint, but not overwhelming burnt smell to it. Is it still ok to change the fluid and filter?
Actually, this is the perfect reason to change it!
Old 10-10-11 | 05:35 PM
adamc
Driver School Candidate

So it is okay to do two drain and fills over the course of a few weeks while leaving the old filter in place? Then on the third drain and fill change the filter?

Also, what is the capacity of the tranny pan on a 2wd model?
Old 10-10-11 | 07:56 PM
LA4Mead
Driver

I think it's a good idea. I'd definately change it if it was me. I'd do like hypervish suggested, and drain the fluid from the pan, refill it (+/- 5 quarts there). If you're ambitious, I'd also pull the cooler return line and point it into a container, then have a helper with clean hands start the engine breifly, and drain more till you get clean fluid, +/- 5 more quarts to get the old stuff out of the system. I think you said It's 2WD so be sure to include the differential (same type IV fluid). IIRC on my '99 2WD, the diiff's drain is close to the tranny pan, facing perpendicular (I think mine was on the drivers side of the trans. facing the pass. side).

Then after 5-6000 miles, I'd drain the pan and drop it to change the filter (or clean the screen, if that's what yours has), gasket, and check the stuff in the magnets in the pan to get an idea how much metallic wear you might have.

I'd use factory spec type IV fluid; the best price I've found has been at the local Toyota dealer at just under $6 per quart. If you are draining, exchanging fluid through the cooler line, and the differential, you could easily use a whole case. Let us know how it goes.
Old 10-10-11 | 08:06 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Actually, I'd do a drain/filter change on the first go-round, then do a drain a week or two...or three...later.

There's no telling how much restriction is happening in the current filter. After this, I'd drain/fill every 20K miles, or so, and change the filter every-other-time.

I wish these had the metal mesh filters which were used on this platform when they were Camries. Just wash and reuse.

Capacity...sorry, no idea. I'd wager 2WD and AWD are the same, though. Don't hold me to that...I just don't want to go out to the garage to look it up.
Old 10-11-11 | 03:36 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

They do have the metal mesh filters from the factory, but the replacements are paper.

I have been able to find one supplier for another metal mesh, I believe it was from WorldPac (they sell parts, to local automotive shops).
Old 10-11-11 | 04:05 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Our 2002 definitely had paper, OEM, but I'll check WorldPac! Thanks!
Old 10-11-11 | 06:07 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

My hunch on ths change from metal to paper has been one I thought of for a while and I still have the same conclusions.

1. One time I removed the transmission filter and just ran the vehicle normally. The pressure there was so high, it began to leak around the seal on the pan (luckily had just gotten back to the apartment (in Mexico). I figure with metal, there is not as much resistance to flow there as there would be with a paper filter.

2. Paper filter would catch more and keep the particles (especially tinier particles) than would a metal filter.

3. Possibilty of metal filter in overheating situations breaking up and its metal particles clogging up system. Figure paper filter in such a case would have better flow since its not as hard as metal.

I might be wrong here though.
Old 10-11-11 | 06:13 PM
LA4Mead
Driver

Re: Filters
My early '99 2WD's problematic original transmission had a metal screen (and it beat up and burned the fluid right away, with shiny metal flakes in the fluid which had been changed three times by 70,000 miles). In 2004, at just shy of 70,000 miles, the Lexus dealer offered to replace the transmission under warrantee, no charge. After they tried two faulty or incompatible rebuilt units they had in stock, the dealer received authorization from Lexus to replace it with a brand new unit from Kyushu that they were assured had all the updates, and compatible with my old car. The new trans has a paper filter. I noticed it doesn't pump much volume through the cooler line, and I wonder is that intentional?

Since then I've checked with my favorite Toyota dealer as well as the Lexus dealer for transmission service including changing the paper filter, and they've told me they've never seen a Toyota/Lexus with a replaceable transmission filter, and they won't service a transmission. They both claimed they did not have a part number for a replaceable filter, which I let them know I doubted, but left it at that. The only prevenative service either would offer was to "flush" the fluid using an exchange machine, which I declined, and went elsewhere.