RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Few questions regarding the RX 300

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-11, 11:19 AM
lexusdc7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by DanDevoe
I had the same thing happen to me around 2 months ago... my blue screen didn't show any info about the climate control. It was a warmer (70-ish) day, in the afternoon.

My climate control worked - I just didn't know what I was setting the temp for... :-)

When I stopped the car to run into a store, it worked fine when I started it, and has been fine ever since.

My battery is around 5 years old, and I will be keeping an eye on it with winter coming. It hadn't even dawned on me that the battery may have been the cause for the "blue screen of death:... but makes sense I guess.
"Blue screen of death" is a perfect description. I'm hoping it's just the battery and not something more serious. I had gotten smart and would turn on my front and rear defrost plus set the fan on high before parking the car at night. When I started it the next morning, I would have the blue screen of death, but I would also have immediate defrost, although cold, for my windows.

Forgot to do that last night and had a thin layer of frost/ice on the windshield this morning. I tried punching buttons and twisting ***** in a vain attempt to get either the temp or the fan to kick on without success.

A weak battery does sound reasonable to me since I don't have any problems with subsequent starts during the day. (Again, I'm going on limited knowledge about all things mechanical/electrical, etc.)
Old 10-31-11, 11:32 AM
lexusdc7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Fortunately, this is a very uncommon occurrence for RX but once in a while due to software gremlins, things end up in la la land. Reset/reboot is required and typically the ignition off -> on does that. Other things that are hot all the time, like remote transponder etc, need a battery disconnect to bring them back.

A weak battery tends to amplify the problem.

Salim
Am I understanding that, even if my battery is weak, a disconnect might be at least a temporary fix for the blue screen of death?
Old 11-02-11, 09:42 AM
lexusdc7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusdc7
Am I understanding that, even if my battery is weak, a disconnect might be at least a temporary fix for the blue screen of death?
Had the battery tested yesterday. It was still charging but the guy said it was marginal. He thought it was the original battery. I couldn't say for sure. Anyway, bought a new battery. Started the car this morning and still had the blue screen of death. By the time I got to work, I had warm air coming out the floor vent and I could punch the buttons for front and back defrost and hear a clicking sound somewhere in the dash. Display never came up and the buttons wouldn't light up, as usual. I'm left with wondering about the fuses again. Would the fuses have anything to do with the display itself, or are there possibly fuses for different portions of the display? The radio has always come up on the display screen, just not the climate control. *scratching my head*

Donna
Old 11-02-11, 11:01 AM
salimshah

Received 1,080 Likes on 972 Posts

Now the new battery is in, we can eliminate that as a culprit [a bad new battery is a possibility too, but chances are low].

Fuses typically pop and do not correct themselves. Now it can be a bad connection, or bad ecu. I can only suggest take it to the dealer. Other places my charge you less per hour but they may end up taking more time to debug.

Salim