RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Another Black RX 300

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-02, 08:55 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Another Black RX 300

There is now another Black Onyx 2002 RX 300 in my little community. It even has a spoiler. I just ran into it (figuratively) at the Target store this evening. I know the people that bought it. They liked mine so much that they looked at them at the dealer's and settled on the black, because mine always looks so good.

I thanked them for the compliment, but I walked away rather peeved because...The worst part is, the owner has kids at the same school my daughter attends. So now when I have to go to school to pick up/deliver my kid, I'll be seeing the other black RX. I didn't even buy anything at the store, I was so stunned.

Grrrr...This town ain't big enough for the two of us.

At least I have my chrome tailgate handlebar and fuzzy dice.

Last edited by Daddy-O; 10-06-02 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-07-02, 01:44 AM
Shonuff
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

time to put some flames in the paint of your rx!!!! hehe
Old 10-07-02, 02:19 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

You mean you didn't invite him to ClubLexus?!? Of course, you have the advantage. Looks like its time for mods.
Old 10-07-02, 03:23 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well you also have the advantage because in 6 months his will look like hell, while yous will still look brand new

Black is tough to take care of

Last edited by SW03ES; 10-07-02 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-07-02, 03:35 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LexRX
You mean you didn't invite him to ClubLexus?!?
Ack...It's a her...A mother of 2...

Besides, how could I invite anyone to join a club that would have someone like me as a member?
Old 10-07-02, 04:42 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

A member, Daddy-O...a moderator no less! I shouldn't have assumed it was a guy Apologies.

Like SW03ES said, just keep yours looking clean...there's a new kid in town. It's kinda funny if she bought black b/c of how nice yours always looks. It's no picnic keeping black clean.
Old 10-08-02, 12:18 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

I'm still torqued about this, but I must admit that it
was momentarily cool seeing it today. Hey, it looks
just like mine, except for my chrome tailpiece.

I saw it, and after a brief flash of disgust, I thought,
"That sure looks nice"...then they saw me and waved.
Grrrr. Beyond torqued now.
Old 10-08-02, 10:53 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Alright, this sounds to me like the one and ONLY situtation when I wouldn't tell a Lexus owner about Club Lex... Time to start moddin and exploiting the benefits of CL is RIGHT ON!
And black is a B*TCH to keep nice - I used to have a black ES250 and then a black ES300... washed and waxed both of those at least twice a month on Sundays to keep 'em looking nice... and it worked too because even that 1990 ES250 look REAL nice all the way up until I sold it in '98 - MUCH nicer than the other black 250 in my neighborhood... Keep it bling blingin and everybody's right - in 6 months, there'll be no comparison... but if there is, you might wanna start workin on painting those flames
Old 10-08-02, 02:15 PM
EnzoRX
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Daddy-O,

That would bug me so much too, esp in a small community, to see someone having the same car that I do. Even worse if I knew the people and the kids went to the same school. Just a little bit too close to home, ya know what I mean? It's like "C'mon...couldn't you have been a little bit more original and just pick a different color other than mine?" Yup, time to put on some nice aftermarket rims to differentiate yerself. Hopefully, her RX300 will not be as clean and shiny as yers. I agree...black paint is a PITA to keep clean and nice...one of the reasons why I bought silver. I take mine to the car wash every 2 weeks.

Well Daddy-O, at least the next time you pull up behind it, you can say "So that's exactly how I look like from behind when I'm driving...". At least that's what I do when I pull up next to a Silversport...
Old 10-08-02, 04:13 PM
ObiDon
Driver

Daddy-O
Looks like it's time for those 18in wheels:eek:
Old 10-09-02, 12:08 AM
Handogen
Driver

DaddyO, I knew there was something I liked about you! I also have a Black RX300... great minds have similar tastes!

But seriously, I'd be pissed too... I have NEVER seen an identical RX in Oregon or in Colorado (where I currently live), though I'm sure they're out there somewhere.. That's the unique combo I have with my RX that I just love about it. Soon I'll have 2002 HID headlamps and lights on there along with the spoiler I installed and the hood bra. Of course I also have the custom license plate with my name...

It's one of a kind, baby!
Old 10-09-02, 04:36 AM
RinnDogg

My deepest sympathy Daddy-O

I know what you mean. I live in the SF Bay Area, so I don't see very many around. In fact, I've only seen 1. It took a while for me to see another graphite RX ...it wasn't until I went to my favorite restaurant (a small, family-owned place). Of all the places they had to eat! j/k They still had new plates and I already had my personalized ones....so at least I had it 1st I do, however, see quite a few gold and white Coach Editions...so I'm thankful I followed my gut and picked what I picked.

Last edited by RinnDogg; 10-09-02 at 04:37 AM.
Old 10-09-02, 04:43 AM
Handogen
Driver

RinnDogg, nice one! ... the personalized plate is nice... I like to think of it as icing on the cake. There's no way someone can get the same plate at least. I'm no wizard.. and I know most of the things I like to do to my RX can be duplicated, but so what.

I think us RX300 owners can sometimes be a bit jealous... and maybe at times a bit proud.

**Here's a valid question for the board... How many of you us have parked in a parking lot... walked a bit... and taken a second to look around, and said "if I could pick any car in this parking lot, it'd be my own"?

Maybe it's just me. But I couldn't be more pleased with my choice. I may never drive another brand in my life.

Last edited by Handogen; 10-09-02 at 04:45 AM.
Old 10-09-02, 10:41 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Right on Handogen -

Sometimes I even feel a little bit vein about how much I like my ride - always looking at it and smilin as I walk away... but then I think, NAH!

I really do like my RX - absolutely the best possible compromise for a daily driving car that has to tow a boat, perform well in WI winters, and lug around a possible dead deer... Wouldn't that be a helluva sight? My LexRX w/ a dead deer strapped to the roof rack - quite a comical sight - I'll have to take a picture if I get one this year! And hey, for all of you who might be opposed to hunting, just think of it as one less deer you could run into with your Lex!

All that said, I'm still try to "sport" and "car" it up a bit more to appeal to the side of me that really wanted an IS or a GS, but I'm gettin there.

I'm sold on LEXUS for life too - there really aren't any other cars out there I'd rather own...

Although I do have a small sweet spot in my heart for a few other models like the 3000GT, NSX, 350Z, Supra TT, S2000, and a few other precious sports cars.... But man to have a tricked out GS or IS would probably still take the cake!
Old 10-10-02, 09:27 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

New development:

Teenage girls are now waving at me (my car). They must think I'm one (or both) of the sons belonging to the woman who owns the other black RX 300. I wave back.

If I was a kid again, I could take advantage of this, and it would be a good thing...But, it's illegal now. Take it from Daddy-O...Getting old sucks.