RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Highest Mileage on original RX300 Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-11, 11:19 AM
ZishanM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Highest Mileage on original RX300 Transmission

I recently bought an RX300 and this board clued me into the fact that these transmission are weak, and even gave me the opinion that they all are going to go bad its just a matter of when. My car runs and drives fine, but I am somewhat regretting my purchase.

I am the third owner and the second owner had no idea RX300's have this problem. Checked the fluid and its pink and full. Considering following the drain and fill DIY instructions.

Someone posted that the only sign they noticed of the transmission going bad is dust on the speed sensors in reverse from the metal shavings/grit, which causes the car to not really engage reverse initially? Is that right?

I wanted to know how long a stock transmission has lasted. Mine is 130k and original as far as I know. Has anyone had to rebuild their, replacement transmission?
Old 11-03-11, 12:47 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I am on my original at 168k miles, and I have complete faith in my RX and that the transmission will last the life of the entire car.

My uncle has 350,000+ miles on his 99' AWD RX, and it run's and shifts like new.

We both do drain and fills every 15-20k, we use Castrol Multi-Vehicle Import ATF.

Like, I've said before and will say again, the transmission issue is blown out of proportion. We are a minority, and if the RX300 really had a problem with the transmission Toyota would have had a recall or something to that effect like they did with the sludge issue.

The number of RX300' s I see everyday is ridiculous, if they all had transmission problems people would be complaining left and right.

All car's have transmission failures, whether they are widespread or not. There are so many things that can lead to transmission failure, it's hard to say that your transmission will definitely fail. < I highly doubt it will, but that's just me.
Old 11-03-11, 01:37 PM
wutake
Driver School Candidate

I've read some posts where the transmission literally dies on the freeway, resulting in having to have the car towed. I've never heard of transmissions failing like that before.

Also a new 01 RX owner here with 130k miles. Didn't even know the transmission was an issue until after I made the purchase.
Old 11-03-11, 02:11 PM
ZishanM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hypervish
I am on my original at 168k miles, and I have complete faith in my RX and that the transmission will last the life of the entire car.

My uncle has 350,000+ miles on his 99' AWD RX, and it run's and shifts like new.

We both do drain and fills every 15-20k, we use Castrol Multi-Vehicle Import ATF.

Like, I've said before and will say again, the transmission issue is blown out of proportion. We are a minority, and if the RX300 really had a problem with the transmission Toyota would have had a recall or something to that effect like they did with the sludge issue.

The number of RX300' s I see everyday is ridiculous, if they all had transmission problems people would be complaining left and right.

All car's have transmission failures, whether they are widespread or not. There are so many things that can lead to transmission failure, it's hard to say that your transmission will definitely fail. < I highly doubt it will, but that's just me.
Thanks for the reply.

I actually read a lot of you replies and thats what made me come up with this thread. Its good to know. I am going to do a drain/fill along with a filter change and keep on it regularly hopefully.