RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-11, 03:09 PM
jaydlee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help

I have a RX300 year 2000. A while ago, I got into an accident and both airbags went off. This also caused the seat belts to lock. Luckily I am able to slide under my seat belt to drive but cannot transport any other people. I went to a repair shop and they told me I needed the entire 'Air Bag Kit'. The car does not allow simply to just install airbags rather I need the kit which includes sensors and such. He quoted $975 for the kit and $460 for the labor. I have California emissions but now reside in Maryland so he is stating it will be a difficult job.

Any idea where I can get such a kit but at a lower price? Also, my engine light has been on for a few months and he stated I needed all 4 oxygen sensors plus 6 coil packs replaced. He says I should really get OEM for the O2 sensors since universals don't last long and won't make the check engine light go away. The O2 sensor system for bank 1 and 2 he quoted $271 a piece. For system 2, bank 1 and 2 he quoted $175 a piece. Coiled $102 a piece times 6 = $612.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Old 11-16-11, 03:48 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

For the CEL, once the light comes on get it read at AutoZone (they do it for free), and then post the code here. I highly doubt you need all 4 oxygen sensors, and 6 coil packs. < Actually I guarantee you that you DON'T NEED ALL of those things.

Also, you can get the OEM oxygen sensors on Amazon for about $100. They are the same part that you get at Toyota/Lexus.

I suggest you find another mechanic, and get another quote. It sounds like this guy doesn't know what he's doing or he's "playing you" for more money.
Old 11-17-11, 07:51 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by jaydlee
I have a RX300 year 2000. A while ago, I got into an accident and both airbags went off. This also caused the seat belts to lock. Luckily I am able to slide under my seat belt to drive but cannot transport any other people. I went to a repair shop and they told me I needed the entire 'Air Bag Kit'. The car does not allow simply to just install airbags rather I need the kit which includes sensors and such. He quoted $975 for the kit and $460 for the labor. I have California emissions but now reside in Maryland so he is stating it will be a difficult job.

Any idea where I can get such a kit but at a lower price? Also, my engine light has been on for a few months and he stated I needed all 4 oxygen sensors plus 6 coil packs replaced. He says I should really get OEM for the O2 sensors since universals don't last long and won't make the check engine light go away. The O2 sensor system for bank 1 and 2 he quoted $271 a piece. For system 2, bank 1 and 2 he quoted $175 a piece. Coiled $102 a piece times 6 = $612.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Welcome to the Club and I agree with hypervish.

I don't know much about the airbags and their costs. I think you are probably one of the few if ever on this forum that has brought that subject up, but I know those things are not cheap in terms of the cost of the airbags. However, the labor leaves me scratching my head a bit as to get to those areas where the airbags are is possible as a DIY as I have gone through those console areas and steering wheel a few times myself.

If you can get the OBD2 codes for us regarding the check engine light, that would be immensely helpful for us to figure out what is going on. I do agree with him that the sensors should stay OEM (Denso). There's two A/F sensors up front, Bank 1 Sensor 1 behind the engine and Bank 2 Sensor 1 on the front of the engine, they are the same sensor, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...el-sensor.html

Bank 1 Sensor 2 is the O2 sensor after the catalytic converter, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...sor-2-diy.html

Those are not hard DIYs.

Changing coils is actually a step shown in this spark plug DIY, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-patience.html

When a coil goes bust, the check engine light flashes and the engine bogs down.

The A/F sensors and O2 sensor are likely to start getting issues around the 100K mile mark.
Old 11-17-11, 10:12 AM
salimshah

Received 1,097 Likes on 987 Posts

Most insurance would write off older vehicle once the air bags go.

I would suggest, make a prioritized list of things you want to tackle. For CEL start by clearing them and then read again .. this would give you a starting point as one error may lead to other errors.

Salim
Old 12-06-11, 12:33 PM
jaydlee
Driver School Candidate

Default Engine light codes

So I went to Advanced Auto Parts and the codes are: P0125 (coolant temp sensor) and P1150 (O2 Upstream sensor). The attendant said I would need to buy two of the O2 upstream sensors and the coolant sensor. Is it easy to install and is he correct that I need two of the same O2 upstream sensors?
Old 12-06-11, 12:51 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

So I went to Advanced Auto Parts and the codes are: P0125 (coolant temp sensor) and P1150 (O2 Upstream sensor). The attendant said I would need to buy two of the O2 upstream sensors and the coolant sensor. Is it easy to install and is he correct that I need two of the same O2 upstream sensors?
DIY easy, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...el-sensor.html

P1150 is Bank 2, Sensor 1, that's right in front by the radiator, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5446213-post44.html

Get the Denso A/F sensor, 234-9009, Amazon is one of the best out there on prices and shipping (and it's where I bought my A/F sensors when I changed mine, http://www.amazon.com/Denso-234-9009...3204468&sr=1-1

Forget the engine coolant sensor for the time being. P0125 is one of the codes like P0171 that sometimes likes to pop up (I like to call them accompanying codes), because they got tripped by the P1150.

Only one A/F sensor is needed here to fix the code, but when I replaced mine, I bought two and replaced both A/F sensors at that time (I had the cash to do it).

I assume this code has been coming back again and again, the P1150?
Old 12-06-11, 02:43 PM
amblyn
Rookie

just got done putting new af sensor. before i did that caused mayhem first threw codes p0125,p0100,p0110 i cleared them then those codes came back along with p0300,p0303,p0305,p1130,p1135 had 8 codes went nutz cleared again drove to mechanic at monroe he tells me code say bank 1 sensor 1 is bad pops my hood points to the a/f sensor on front of engine tells me to change it. happened in 5 min. so i come search this forum found post how to check sensors if good or bad. test the 2 a/f and 1 o2 found one near firewall bad replaced it cleared codes 222 miles later still good. found a denso at local autoparts store 174 tax inc. so i beleive p1150 is sensor front of car pop hood look down before eng. right there off exhaust manifold. coolant temp code is again comes along with p1150 for some reason good luck
Old 12-06-11, 02:49 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 84 Posts

air fuel sensor on Amazon has the best price for denso....
Old 12-06-11, 09:21 PM
jaydlee
Driver School Candidate

Default another code

i also got the p1155 code....any ideas? should i just buy the bank 2 sensor 1 and pray?
Old 12-06-11, 09:33 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

i also got the p1155 code....any ideas? should i just buy the bank 2 sensor 1 and pray?
P1155 is also Bank 2, Sensor 1.

Have you been clearing the codes and they still come back?
Old 12-06-11, 09:41 PM
jaydlee
Driver School Candidate

Default codes

it shows up repeatedly. I just ordered one sensor....should I have ordered two???
Old 12-06-11, 09:43 PM
jaydlee
Driver School Candidate

i hope it is easy to install....i by no means am experienced.
Old 12-06-11, 09:52 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

it shows up repeatedly. I just ordered one sensor....should I have ordered two???
One sensor. You only have the code on one bank. I just wanted to confirm that it's showing up repeatedly. Sometimes the code would come up on mine, I'd clear the code and it would not come back for a while.
Old 12-06-11, 09:57 PM
jaydlee
Driver School Candidate

cool. Got the Denso for $75 on Amazon for one. Hope it solves all the codes. Thank you for everything! Now I gotta just figure out how to install lol
Old 12-06-11, 10:16 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

cool. Got the Denso for $75 on Amazon for one. Hope it solves all the codes. Thank you for everything! Now I gotta just figure out how to install lol
Well Bank 2, Sensor 1 was certainly easier to get at, see bottom of page here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-sensor-4.html (post 60) when I did mine last year.

Quick Reply: Please help