RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX 300 Performance Mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-02, 03:09 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Daddy-O
Excellent...New threads from experienced members make CL what it is.

Next up...How to become a paying member.

We now return you to the thread already in progress...
Okay, I'm in... I'll gladly pay dues... But I want some of those little silver Club Lexus stickers for my ride! What better way to spread the good CL word?
Old 10-10-02, 03:13 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

hahaha right on!

i'm not sure if it was a v6 nor a v8... so that i have no clue about haha cuz i was either neck to neck or in front

ya, we need 6 of those plugs and i got in on the group buy a while back. i don't remember the total i paid but i'll check when i get home. I am also dyin to have em installed but no time at all.

If you can get me that intake size that'd be great man! thanks

That Zex nitrous sounds nice also... but i'd rather not use that... dunno why but i'd rather try to out run him or just get beat then have to resort to boost lol
Old 10-10-02, 03:22 PM
cephraim
Driver

Default ECU Fuse

I've done a fairly exhaustive search of the forums and can't find any info on where the ECU fuse is (exactly) in the RX3.

I see plenty of info on the GS, though...

Anyone have a good "map" for us?

Eph
Old 10-10-02, 03:42 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Default Re: ECU Fuse

Originally posted by cephraim
I've done a fairly exhaustive search of the forums and can't find any info on where the ECU fuse is (exactly) in the RX3.

I see plenty of info on the GS, though...

Anyone have a good "map" for us?

Eph
I've gotta run out to my RX to check on the intake pipe diameter for spin anyways - I'll grab my manual while I'm out there... I'm pretty sure it will give that detail in there - I remember something about the ECU fuse being in slot 15 behind the little utility box just to the left of the steeing column inside the cabin, but god don't quote me on that. When in doubt, get out a 10mm wrench and disconnect the negative battery terminal!
Old 10-10-02, 04:00 PM
Swing913
Pole Position

Default ECU RESET CK1_RX3

Hey CK1_RX3, I have got the Zex nitrous kit in front of me but haven't got time to install it yet. After install, I would post pics and performance gains.

As for the catalytic converter, it is a major difference if you have change to aftermarket exhaust, the air flow would be more and a lot lot smoother, you would feel the difference but not a lot of performance gain that way.

I need help on the reset of the ECU of my RX. I have put all these things into the RX but haven't even reset it once. NO wonder my car is like slower and slower. Can you help me out a bit on the reset, I know you have described it briefly. I want to do it but the ECU fuse, if I found the fuse, what do I do with it, take it out or what?? Pls give me details on this part. Thanx buddy.

About the spark plugs, I haven't change mine but I will do so soon since my RX is reaching 100,000 km. We definitely need 6 spark plugs and we need the platinum ones. I know BOSCH makes a good spark plugs, haven't try any other brands, I heard the new NGK Iridium is also pretty good and have application for our car. Moreover, the spark plugs in our car are hard to change, it needs llike 4 to 5 hrs of work at least. For the performance gain, I wouldn't say there is a lot for the sparks but I guess for the money, it's worth it.

Last edited by Swing913; 10-10-02 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-10-02, 04:18 PM
Jonnystan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by CK1_RX3
hahha alrite i'll stop talking... its getting too long... peace out guys... [/QUOTE}

Now to raise another question... does anyone make a torque converter for the RX? [/B]
There was a torque converter on ebay about 3-4 weeks ago...try searching the completed items. Not sure who made it or where it came from....but I know it is out there.
Old 10-10-02, 04:20 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Default Re: ECU RESET CK1_RX3

Hey Swing,

I guess I was little vague on what to do w/ the fuse - yeah, there should be a tool somewhere (like under the cover of one of the fuse boxes on the RX) - just use it to pop out the ECU fuese and leave it out for like 30 minutes or a little more... then pop it back in and drive HARD and FAST.

Your RX seems slower and slower w/ the modz? So when you added exhaust and intake your car seemed slower? That didn't happen w/ mine and I didn't reset the ECU right away... Try resetting the ECU and see if that helps.

One thing about a intake is that at launching it may lag for just a fraction of a second while it takes that initial gulp of air, but then take off like a rocket after that - you should REALLY feel the intake kick in at around 3,000 rpms - my RX really pulls when it hits that mark... The RX actually shifts very efficiently when your floor it - takes it straight to redline and then immediately drops to about 3,800 rpms in the next gear - I've gotta take it to a track so I can see what my 0-60 and 1/4 mile times in this thing are - that'd be a blast... I might get a few looks showing up in a RX, but it'd be worth it.

As for the spark plugs, OE is Denso Iridiums - nice plugs actually... But the TM's are sooo tempting - you guys gotta check out the recent dyno if you haven't done that yet.

Spin, can't wait to hear how that goes for you... are you gonna do it yourself or have the dealer put 'em in?

Swing - if you're almost at 100K kilos, then yeah, I'd say new plugs of any kind probably wouldn't hurt. Is it really that much of a 4-5 hour excursion to change the friggin plugs?

Who makes that catalytic converter you put in and how much was it? Where can I find out more about it?

Can't wait to see pics of that nitrous kit and hear about the results - any body know if giggle juice is street legal in the US?

Swing- one last thing - I sent you a PM... lookin for a tracking number for that grill so I can figure out when it's gonna get here - thanks man...

Okay, I'm gonna head out to the parking lot to get my manual, measure the intake pipe, and look for the fuse removal tool.. I'll post findings when I get back.
Old 10-10-02, 04:23 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Jonnystan-
Coo - thanks for the tip - I'll have to search when I get home tonight since I can't get on e-bay from work... Do you remember if they gave any details about it or how much it cost?

MMMmmmmmm... Torque converter.... mmmmmmm.....

Get your RMM yet?
Old 10-10-02, 05:19 PM
leolexus
Driver School Candidate

CK1-

How do you like the WeaponR intake/filter? Does the intake and filter sit in the same spot in the engine? Did you take out the factory intake? The reason why I ask these questions is because the shop that I go to in NYC recommended to me that I don't go with the Weapon-R intake and stick to the K&N filter. He explained to me that the reason why the factory intake is so big (compared to other cars) is because is sits right above the engine block. The extra size is made to shield out heat to the filter. He also proceed to tell me that the Weapon-R box could do more damage than good. If it's positioned right next to the engine, the aluminum will heat up, thus forcing hot air into the engine instead of cold air. What do you think? By any chance, do you have any pictures of your set up?

By the way, I received my RMM exhaust this past weekend. Did you get yours? I'm not to impressed with it. But I haven't had a chance to reset my ECU to see if that will make a change. I had a fixed up Honda with a GReddy exhaust. Comparing the two, GReddy is a better product. But, beggars can't be choosers.
Old 10-10-02, 06:45 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Leolexus,

Me and my butt dyno really like the WR intake system The intake really gives a nice boost as I and others have posted anecdotally... there is no dyno proof, but you can definately feel a difference (butt dyno again). Is it a turbo or supercharger? HELL NO it's an intake - gains aren't huge by any means.

I don't have a picture of my setup personally because I don't have a digicam, but you can find a couple in the RX gallery. Here's one for example...
https://www.clublexus.com/photo1/sho...php?photo=1693

As far as the setup functionality of the WR intake (or any intake for that matter) in the RX application, I can offer a few things:

First, the intake is situated in somewhat close proximity to the engine block, but not really any more closely than any other car... To say that it is "on" the engine block is not correct at all, but as with any automobile, yeah, the intake is in relative close proximity to the engine block as they are both situated in a relatively closed environment under the hood. If the intake is situated too close to the engine on the RX, then that is true of most, if not all cars... True, the only REAL way to intake truly cold air is RAM air, but for everyday driving the risk of sucking up water is just far too great for my comfort.

Second, aluminum is really no worse of a conductor/heatsink than the OEM plastic air box... it might not be measurably better, but if you hold your hand to the plastic box vs. the aluminum box after a good amount of driving, there is no appreciable difference. There also seems to be a good ambient airflow design to the box, as it's still allowing for fresh cold air to be blown in where the old box used to connect... I've actually been putting some thought into the principles of ambient exchange and air temperature density lately w/ regard to the airbox in that I'm trying leaving the cover off the cold air box to allow for a better "flow" through box - my theory is that cold air will flow in through the bottom cut out where the old box used to intake air and out the top pushing the warm air out of the box and away from the intake - that's why the intake pipe is at the bottom of the box near the cold air source. The other benefit of having the top off (again, my theory) is that it will allow the intake to take a bigger initial gulp of air when launching (i.e.) when your car is standing still at a light and there's no cold air flowing into the intake box... this is all debateable. Anyways, long winded story short, there seems to be more or as much room under the RX's hood for ambient exchange of air as w/ any other car's crowded engine compartment, which leads me to believe that it's open to receiving the same benefits from an intake as any other car.

My question is does that shop you go to in NYC sell Weapon R products? Do the sell K&N products? If they sell both and then the shops recommendation might carry a little more weight... if they sell neither, I'd question their expertise as the RX isn't usually that serious of a "tuners" car... If they sell only K&N then I'd question the motives behind the advice. Okay, I'm sounding a bit too much like a conspiracy theorist now...

My request of you leolexus, is that you e-mail your questions and concerns to Leo at Weapon-R (his name is Leo Now, you can find his e-mail on their website)... You are a prospective customer, and you have some very legitimate questions and concerns. Then if you'd be so kind, paraphrase and post his answers and replies here at the CL RX3 forum so that we can all benefit from the knowledge now and in the future.

As for the RMM, no I don't have it yet - it got shipped back to Cali because of a delivery mistake... I don't want to get into it any more than that right now because I'm too pumped to get it and don't want to dwell on it.

So you're not impressed w/ it??? What aren't you impressed with? The sound? The performance? If it's the performance, I've heard that you DEFINATELY need an intake w/ the exhaust - you're sending more air and spent gases out more quickly when you reduce backpreassure with a straight through design such as the RMM, so you really need to boost what you're taking in on the front end to reap the benefits. That said, the RMM is just a bolt on muffler basically, so what you're gaining is a cool look, a nice tone (from what I hear), and a few negligable horses.... if you were expecting your butt dyno to get pushed off the charts I think your expectations were a little high

By the way, with the GReddy on your Honda... did you have an intake first? Just a thought...
Old 10-10-02, 08:53 PM
Swing913
Pole Position

Default To CK1_RX3

Hey buddy, thanx for the reply, as I read the owner's menu, there are a couple of ECU fuse but I don't know which one to take out, you mind finding that fuse # for me? Thanx. As for the tracking # of the grill, I sent it by Canada Post not by UPS so there is no tracking #, I have the receipt though, if the grill doesn't arrive within 2 weeks, notify me immediately, and I'll send u the copy of the receipt but don't worry about a thing, it will come for sure.
Old 10-11-02, 12:46 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

Hey, i havn't gotten to drive my rx3 in a bit from work at night on the dead empty freeway. after the fuel cut off i havn't...

but i'm not postive, but if i remember correctly, at about 6000 rpm, the thing starts to PULL FAST!!!

i will conduct the test again when i go to work with that car (just dont' wanna put so much miles on it) at night again and i'll test it. I'm pretty sure it pulls and u feel it also. its with the RMM exhuast.
Old 10-11-02, 02:39 AM
salimshah

Received 1,086 Likes on 977 Posts

Some one please correct me if I am wrong.

RX does NOT have adaptive learning behaviour and the throtle (sp?) is directly linked via a steel cable {not drive by wire (electrons)} , while the GS is.

That said, the ECU (engine ECU) still governs the engine behaviour based on all sensor inputs.... mostly current readings.

This would mean, reseting the ECU on an RX, will hardly accomplish anything. While in GS the reset of ECU will wipe away the "adaptive learning".

Salim
Old 10-11-02, 11:00 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Salim,
It's my understanding (from what I remember when purchasing the vehicle almost 2 years ago December) that all Lex ECU's are adaptive learning - that's part of that "smooth lex ride character."
I could be wrong, but I don't think adaptive learning is related at all to the throttle type, but rather the ECU which is the "motherboard" of the beast... For example, the '01 and later RX senses when it should be in ECT power mode simply by how hard you are driving, and that's why there's no need for an ECT power switch on the RX anymore - it's the evolution of ECT power... More "intelligent" and "user friendly"... All B.S. aside, I think cpu intelligence and user friendliness is a crock as I'd prefer to tell my ride how to behave (which I still DO because I drive hard and fast even on Sunday mornings), but I think the vast majority of personality types that drive Lexus (albeit probably not the vast majority of Lexus "enthusiasts" here on club lex) would prefer this type of "refinement"...
All that said in taking the long way to get to the point, this demonstrates an adaptive learning character via the ECU regardless of if this data is gathered in "real time" current readings or an extended period of time... The ECU interacts with the throttle regardless of type.
Basically what I'm trying to say is I really don't know for sure, but I have a hunch As long as there is no definitive answer on this topic, I'd prefer to err on the side of actively seeking the greatest possible engine performance out of my RX and will continue to reset the ECU until someone definitively states/proves that it's a useless action... after all, it takes all of 15 seconds to pull a fuse or unhook a battery terminal.
Now, gotta find a way to afford that WR ECU in a hurry!
Old 10-12-02, 05:45 PM
cephraim
Driver

Default Re: To CK1_RX3

Originally posted by Swing913
Hey buddy, thanx for the reply, as I read the owner's menu, there are a couple of ECU fuse but I don't know which one to take out, you mind finding that fuse # for me? Thanx.
Well, I took out the one marked ECU that's in the fusebox to the left of the steering wheel. Unless I'm imagining it, there's a big difference now! Most excellent quick fix!

Eph

Quick Reply: RX 300 Performance Mods