RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX 300 Performance Mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-02, 01:30 AM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, guys, guys....

The "adaptive learning" part of the RX is in the ECT (electronically controlled transmission)... this NOT the same as engine management, which is a distinct and separate function. All you are doing is changing how the RX upshifts.

It always a good idea to reset the ECT after two conditions:

1. Break-in period -- this is obvious since during break in you hopefully "babied" your Rex and with smooth and low-rev takeoffs. Reseting the ECT allows you to see what the Rex can really do off the line.

2. *Before* a performance mod -- not so obvious, eh? Why? Everyone is going "gee, I installed a better intake, reset my ecu, and wow what an increase!" Bzzzt.... wrong. How do you know it wasn't simply the ECT reset that made it feel better? In engineering science we are taught to work from a "baseline" in order to obtain quantifiable data. The proper way to evaluate a perfromance mod is to reset the ECT first... drive and evaluate the vehicle.. then immediately install the mod... drive and evaluate again.

How does one reset the ECT? It's so simple it's silly: Simply disconnect BOTH the positive and negative battery cables.... wait 30 to 60 minutes... then short the cables together (this is assuming you have no other power sources hooked in the vehicle besides the standard battery). You need to short the cables in order to eliminate any possible capacitive voltage that might be in the various devices on the electrical bus... this ensures that the ECT is fully wiped in the time period you allotted.

The downside to this method is that you will lose all your memory settings. I'm not sure if it will affect the Nav, I believe the Nav might use flash-rom for the previous, dealer and home address settings. I'll know soon enough as I'm due for an ECT reset myself.

Happy motoring....
Old 10-13-02, 12:05 PM
cephraim
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, are you saying that just pulling the ECU fuse in the cabin fusebox doesn't reset it?
Old 10-13-02, 12:31 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Originally posted by cephraim
So, are you saying that just pulling the ECU fuse in the cabin fusebox doesn't reset it?
I honestly don't know the answer to that... since I don't have an electrical diagram in front of me I can't competently answer.

-TC
Old 10-13-02, 11:09 PM
Jonnystan
Driver

Shorting the postive and negative....

You mean touch the two cables together? Is this totally safe for both me and the car?

Last edited by Jonnystan; 10-13-02 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-14-02, 12:27 AM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Originally posted by Jonnystan
Shorting the postive and negative....

You mean touch the two cables together? Is this totally safe for both me and the car?
Why do you think it wouldn't be safe?
Old 10-14-02, 10:42 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

RX300TC - you're right about both points - nice addition... Baseline is VERY important especially with the kind of "butt dyno" experimentation that dominates here... I'm not knocking the butt dyno as it's nearly impossible to find an AWD dyno, but you're right especially about baselining and resetting ECU before installation - not sure how I overlooked that...

All that said, even BEFORE I reset my ECU I noticed a performance boost when I installed my intake and c.a.b... I didn't reset the ECU after this mod for at least a week, so I'd say that while this isn't the ideal baseline situation, it certainly does act as a sufficient baseline for determining a performance increase via the "butt dyno" when installing a performance part.

As far as concerns over shorting the two battery cables together, I know that this isn't dangerous either physically or to your car, but I don't have the technical answer as to why it's not dangerous - could you elaborate on this for the benefit of other members who may have concerns about this method to resetting the ECU?

Thanks!

ck
Old 10-23-02, 01:08 AM
Jonnystan
Driver

Wow this thread died...what happened. "The thread I have been waiting for" come on folks lets get moving!
Old 10-24-02, 01:24 PM
leolexus
Driver School Candidate

I guess the thread got sidetracked on the ECU conversation.

Let me give you some background on how I got started. My landlord asked me how I liked my RX. I love it!! You should buy one, I told them. So they went out and bought one. As they brought their new baby home, proud parents as they are, they started to point out how much better their RX is compared to mine (they have a 2002, I have a 2000). So my pride and ego got hurt, so I started looking on the net. I found this forum and started reading on what I should buy. So thanks to you guys, this is what I have purchased for my car.

1. First thing: I bought the Altezza lights. So it looks like a 2002.
2. I bought a rear spoiler. My car didn't come with one.
3. I bought a RMM exhaust and RMM grill.
4. Added the HID 5000K lights
5. Purchased L-Sportline 18x7 rims with Pirelli 255x55 18 from WheelExperts (thanks Peter).
6. K&N filter.

I plan to purchase the WeaponR intake, cold air box and the ECU when the ECU is done. I just posted pictures of my car in the gallery if you are curious on how it looks.

Last edited by leolexus; 10-24-02 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-24-02, 03:18 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

Very nice Leo... and welcome aboard! haha yours not look just as nice as his heheh, even nicer prob since his is just stock