RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Engine Replacement at 84k??

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-11, 10:54 AM
Rac379
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Replacement at 84k??

So I've found this great 2001 rx300 silversport on craiglist. I really like it because of the monotone black paint and black interior. But I ran a carfax and it said 'Engine replaced' and 'Engine checked' at 84,897 miles. Is this normal at all? It has 160k miles now. It was done at Jim Hudson Lexus in Augusta, GA. Which brings me to something else. This car was sold new in a suburb of Orlando, FL, then sold at an auction 4 years later and went to another dealership in Florida who sold it to someone in Georgia (who replaced the engine). Then 4.5 years later it was sold at an auction in Georgia and someone in Kentucky bought it (that's where it is now). The current owner has had it for 8 months. Should I be cautious about this car? I'm going to have a mechanic look at it but I just wanted some other opinions.
Old 11-27-11, 11:30 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Any vehicle which changed hands like this raises an eyebrow.

Auction probably means it was traded in, couldn't be sold on the lot, so the dealer dumped it.

Is the current Kentucky owner affiliated with a dealership in any way, shape, or form? 8 months isn't very long, unless it's someone 'flipping' cars.

Occasionally, vehicles like this are a steal, but there is also huge potential risk. The original engine failure could have been pure original/2nd owner stupidity. Never changed the oil/air filter or overheated it.

It was originally sold in Florida, after all....

OTOH, it's been 80K on the replacement engine, so mechanically, it's likely just fine, save for high-mileage wear items.

If the current 'owner' looks like this, RUN!

Last edited by mckellyb; 11-27-11 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-27-11, 11:31 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

The engine was probably replaced due to sludge. These engines are prone to sludge if you don't change the oil every 5k miles.

Like any used car purchase you have to be cautious. Remember, there are lot's of RX300's out there, so if you don't feel comfortable buying this one wait it out. A better deal awaits.. LOL
Old 11-28-11, 04:40 AM
Stemmer
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine Replacement

Originally Posted by Rac379
So I've found this great 2001 rx300 silversport on craiglist. I really like it because of the monotone black paint and black interior. But I ran a carfax and it said 'Engine replaced' and 'Engine checked' at 84,897 miles. Is this normal at all? It has 160k miles now. It was done at Jim Hudson Lexus in Augusta, GA. Which brings me to something else. This car was sold new in a suburb of Orlando, FL, then sold at an auction 4 years later and went to another dealership in Florida who sold it to someone in Georgia (who replaced the engine). Then 4.5 years later it was sold at an auction in Georgia and someone in Kentucky bought it (that's where it is now). The current owner has had it for 8 months. Should I be cautious about this car? I'm going to have a mechanic look at it but I just wanted some other opinions.
I had my engine replaced under CPO warranty at just about the same mileage. Lexus called it "premature wearing of the rod." I have 202,000 now and it's been great ever since. That's just my experience obviously. I do wonder about all the re-sales...
Old 02-19-12, 08:04 PM
jamfred774
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C

Sorry for bringing up an old thread here.

Just had my engine go bad with a loud knocking from the engine. Just had oil changed 2000 miles ago and had no oil light or anything. The light flickered a couple times but never came on. Check the oil and it looked clean and it was on the dipstick. Was driving up a mountain and the knock started really hard. Shut her down and recheck oil and added half a quart. Engine was done. Got a tow and by the time I got to the shop there was no oil on the stick and we had to add 3 more quarts. Found out it was due to sludge so waiting to hear what the damage is. I dont understand why the oil light never came on. Still wondering on this one.....

For those who have had their engine replaced what have the costs been? I hope to hear back from the shop here in a couple days but need to see what others have seen.
Old 02-19-12, 08:27 PM
bobinyelm
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm a little shocked at frequent engine replacements on these cars.

We just purchased a low mileage '03 (31k miles) and had a dealer due a buyers' inspection and it came out OK. They said that it needed an oil change, but figured hey were just looking for business, since the Mobil 1 had under 3000 miles since they had done it for the selling owner.

I am surprised that good quality synthetic oils can create such sludge-I can only image these engines operate at abnormally high internal temperatures despite normal coolant temperatures.

5000 miles per full-synthetic oil change isn't much, but if the engine design has such a weakness, I suppose it's better safe than sorry, so maybe the dealer is right to advise 3000 mi changes on full synthetics?
Old 02-19-12, 08:55 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by bobinyelm
I'm a little shocked at frequent engine replacements on these cars.

We just purchased a low mileage '03 (31k miles) and had a dealer due a buyers' inspection and it came out OK. They said that it needed an oil change, but figured hey were just looking for business, since the Mobil 1 had under 3000 miles since they had done it for the selling owner.

I am surprised that good quality synthetic oils can create such sludge-I can only image these engines operate at abnormally high internal temperatures despite normal coolant temperatures.

5000 miles per full-synthetic oil change isn't much, but if the engine design has such a weakness, I suppose it's better safe than sorry, so maybe the dealer is right to advise 3000 mi changes on full synthetics?
I think all of the sludge engines were run on dino, have never heard of one that had synthetic and sludge (unless the damage was already done before the switch).
Old 02-20-12, 05:19 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by carguy07
I think all of the sludge engines were run on dino, have never heard of one that had synthetic and sludge (unless the damage was already done before the switch).
X2.
The synthetic oil can withstand high temperatures better. The RX300 heads run hotter than most other engines, and the oil return hole is small. Due to this and (there's one more reason, I can't remember) the 1MZ-FE engine is extremely tough on engine oil.
As long as you go 5000 oci on synthetic oil, you will not sludge up the motor.
There have been people in the past that have done 7500 mile oci's and not had a problem. But I wouldn't take the risk.
Also, many people don't change the PCV valve. That's normal maintenance, and should be done every 2 years.

BTW: The "low oil" light is really a "low oil pressure" light. So the flickering was your first warning. (not that you would have known) Because the light is essentially saying there's something blocking the path of the oil, and there is not enough pressure, to keep the engine properly lubricated.

Last edited by hypervish; 02-20-12 at 05:26 AM.
Old 02-20-12, 05:21 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jamfred774
Sorry for bringing up an old thread here.

Just had my engine go bad with a loud knocking from the engine. Just had oil changed 2000 miles ago and had no oil light or anything. The light flickered a couple times but never came on. Check the oil and it looked clean and it was on the dipstick. Was driving up a mountain and the knock started really hard. Shut her down and recheck oil and added half a quart. Engine was done. Got a tow and by the time I got to the shop there was no oil on the stick and we had to add 3 more quarts. Found out it was due to sludge so waiting to hear what the damage is. I dont understand why the oil light never came on. Still wondering on this one.....

For those who have had their engine replaced what have the costs been? I hope to hear back from the shop here in a couple days but need to see what others have seen.
You didn't mention what year your RX is. Toyota has an 8 year extended warranty on the engine due to sludge, only up to the 2002 model year. It is past 8 years, but they may be willing to help pay for the cost, if you have proof the oil changes were done in a timely manner.