RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Where to get buying advice for used RX300

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-02, 06:04 PM
Will49
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to get buying advice for used RX300

I'm looking to buy a used '01 RX300 2WD /w HID+heated seats from my local Lexus dealer. It has just under 14k miles and the sticker price is just under $34k. It hasn't been Lexus certified "because it has such a low mileage" according to sales guy.

I have no clue on how much I can haggle with the Lexus sales guys, and so far haven't been able to find any websites with such info. So appologies in advance if this is not the correct place to be asking for such advice.

According to the blue book, they probably paid about $26-28k for it on a trade in, which makes me think they can come down a whole lot on the asking price of $34k, given that basically they haven't done anything to the vechicle other than stick a for sale sign on it. Also in 1,000 miles I'm going to be out $200-350 for the 15k service on it.

Also should I think about getting the Lexus 6/7 year extended warranty, given that I will probably keep it that long? They quoted about $2000 for this.
Old 10-10-02, 06:16 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to ClubLexus.

I bought my '02 RX 300 for $33,500 in April.

Used w/14K miles for the same price as a new RX? I would pay $31K MAX for the used RX and have them throw in the 15K service, an extra CD Cartridge and a bottle of touch-up paint...Hah!

Skip the warranty. You can buy that anytime before the OEM warranty runs out. You may not want it then and you won't have paid for it...or better yet, buy a new RX 300. You'll be happier

Is this at a Lexus dealer?
It may be a loaner...I, personally, wouldn't buy one of those. I know what I do to loaner cars...

Last edited by Daddy-O; 10-10-02 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-10-02, 06:38 PM
Will49
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow.... looks like I need to do a lot more homework before I tell him what I'm willing to pay for it. Like I said, I'm clueless on how much these guys can come down in price (after sales guy told me that "Lexis gives a great up-front quote so you dont have to screw around negotiating like at a regular dealership")

This is from a Lexus dealer, and apparently the previous owner traded it in (guy left the state... yada yada yada).

For the $31k you quoted, do you mean before tax and all the extras?

Also did the $33,500 you said you paid for your new '02 include tax etc? What was the sticker price on yours?

He did say that he could come down to the high $34k range out the door (so before tax that would be about $33k).

Does the price of the Lexus warranty go up the closer I leave it to the end of the OEM warranty? There is only about 2 yrs 9 mo left on the warranty.
Old 10-10-02, 07:01 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I meant 31K plus TTL.

I paid 33.5K plus TTL. List was $37, 230.

The warranty does get more expensive, but you may not need it, if you buy a new RX. You'll get the full 4 years, plus that indefinable luxury,...New Car Smell

Please don't believe any car salesman regarding any money issues.

"It hasn't been Lexus certified "because it has such a low mileage" according to sales guy."

"Lexus(sp) gives a great up-front quote so you don't have to screw around negotiating like at a regular dealership"
Their job is to get as much money from you as he can, any way he can. Just grin and move on to doing your job...What's that?

Your job is to determine a fair price, meaning what you're willing to pay. You then make an offer and stick with it. That means homework. That means you have to sink as low as him.

That means pointing out the fact that there are cars on the lot and he's trying to sell them...It's that simple. That may mean pointing out to him that it makes that dealership pretty regular, in anybody's book. That may mean you test drive an Acura MDX and tell the salesman all about what a wonderful ride it was as you thumb through the MDX brochure in his office. Whatever it takes.

Lastly, if you're not prepared to walk at any moment, you might as well have painted the word "Sucker" on your forehead. Leave your phone number...You'll get a call.

For additional perspective, price cars at:
http://www.edmunds.com
http://carpoint.msn.com
http://www.cars.com
http://www.carsdirect.com