RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2000 rx300 power steering leak maybe??

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-11, 03:31 PM
amblyn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 rx300 power steering leak maybe??

i have a 00 rx300 with 194000 miles or so and while going to check airfuel sensor bank 1 sensor 1 i noticed a fluid leaking has to be a slow leak as i barely see spots on driveway. so i tried to go as far up as i can to track it and back of oil pan is wet but goes above that over on side where power steering pump i would assume it is can see inside passenger wheel well so i see a pulley with a belt goes to bigger pully that has belt for alt ac also so i see that the pully is connected to some mechanism with 3 hoses 2 rubber one hard i think so im assuming its a powersteering pump so it is saturated and i cant see above it the fliud is reddish i think so another reason i think its powersteering fluid. ok so question is where could it be leaking from its wet above all the hoses so is it the pump itsellf how complicated of a job is it. anyone have a DIY for that with pictures possibly maybe a snippet of a repair manual explaining it. or has anyone else expierienced a leak like this and found out a source im new to the forum but have browsed alot of posts and have used help from here about the air fuel sensor and may soon be doing the tranny pan DIY you guys are all very intelligent and helpfull thanks
Old 12-03-11, 06:09 PM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

Steering pump can be accessed once you take the front passenger wheel off.

I would start by noting the fluid level in the reservoir. Then make appropriate (diluted) simple green solution and wash off all the hoses. Dry off every thing and then see where the leak is (white shop towel is best way to find the source).

Once you find the source of the leak, we can suggest a solution.

Salim
Old 12-03-11, 08:30 PM
amblyn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Steering pump can be accessed once you take the front passenger wheel off.

I would start by noting the fluid level in the reservoir. Then make appropriate (diluted) simple green solution and wash off all the hoses. Dry off every thing and then see where the leak is (white shop towel is best way to find the source).

Once you find the source of the leak, we can suggest a solution.

Salim
ok sorry forgot to mention i think that after noitcing the leak and location, first thing i checked reservoir car was cold not ran in 2 days, it was filled up to the max hot line actually slightly over that. does steering pump leak when over filled or just build pressure until seals or gaskets fail.

i used top of spray bottle took out fluid down to max cold cleaned the pump hoses and everythin underneath using brake cleaner i just installed new af sensor 2 hr ago did not see any fluids drove 75 miles or so see if chck eng light would reapear check for leaky fluid still nothing so i dont know i cant find way to look at top of pump without taking things apart.

thanks for quick reply thought this fluid was oil when touched drip under car but fluid higher was reddish brown any idea how to further check all hpses were dry xcept one rubber one had wetness after clamp connect.

also while im here what is best way to repair exhaust leak after cat near o2 sensor guess there used to be a bracket holding it there mech. friend told me metal to weak to weld tried braizing it or something no good so i slapped some cheap repair gooey stuff does good fpr a month do ineed to replace cat as i noticed has that peice of pip on it or is there a cheaper permenent fix