RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

and the list goes on HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-11, 08:05 AM
amblyn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb and the list goes on HELP!

Alright, So instead of a new thread for all my issues i figured i would group it into one post. this way members can post tips tricks and fixes here. if solution has already been posted elsewhere can be a good place to link to it.

1. Instrument cluster lights. My D (Drive) light is out. Also my symbol that used to tell me headlights are on is out. Can both be changed easily what bulb etc??

2. My e-brake pedal goes all the way to floor. shouldn't it only go 5 clicks or so. any step step how to adjust it??

3. Guess i'll ask this way any one know how to get headliner down and back up with out damaging anything? To inspect sunroof motor and such.

4. Would an unbalanced tire cause a sort of pulsating noise, or is that from something else. I rotated my tires and now rear passenger tire make a lot of pulsating noise, more so when turning. thought was because tires have alot of tread maybe worn differently. Been 2 months still there.

5. Resonance. Bad when first start but always there. Not accompanied by much vibration. Just a deep humm that fills up head. worse at idle but still there higher rpms.

6. Is this normal? when coming to a start or stop i hear a noise hard to describe. its like a jet noise kind of in lower gears can hear going down or up.

7. Is there a way to make it so i would beable to turn on fog lights but not headlights. i find it strange they wont turn on alone and turn off with high beams.

8. What is best way to fix exhaust leak after the cat under driver door sort of above the 02 sensor used to be a bracket now theres a hole. Must i replace whole cat or are there other options

well that's it...for now. any advice would be wonderfull thank you all in advance
Old 12-07-11, 12:12 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

1) There's a diy for changing the D-light bulb (look in the sticky you'll find it)
2)Yes, adjust the star wheel on the rear brakes. You'll see it when you take the tire off.
3) Look at post #5 here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...tallation.html
he wrote that the headliner starts to come off when you take the handle from the roof off.
There aren't any full diy's on here as to how to get the headliner off.
4) Yes, it's possible for a unbalanced wheel to make that noise. I know exactly what you are talking about, I actually just had my wheel balanced today and it got rid of the noise.
But, if the pulsating is coming when you brake then you have warped rotors.
5) there could be a small exhaust leak
6) post a video of the noise
7) no
8)

Last edited by hypervish; 12-07-11 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-07-11, 05:40 PM
amblyn
Rookie

this video shows sunroof issue and also if turn volume up enough can hear whining noise wondering if noise is normal or sign of something bad.

[inwindow]www.youtube.com/embed/mqpHSGqc_kw[/inwindow]
Old 12-07-11, 06:13 PM
amblyn
Rookie

this might show the whine better

[inwindow]www.youtube.com/embed/X4cmr9uR4_Y[/inwindow]
Old 12-07-11, 06:16 PM
amblyn
Rookie

this is my dash showing whats not lit up
[inwindow]www.youtube.com/embed/yWdXCUvaxWQ[/inwindow]
Old 12-07-11, 06:35 PM
amblyn
Rookie

soo another thing my headlight covers whatever they are called are not as clear as id like kind of foggy looking any ideas to make them crystal clear again??

[inwindow]www.youtube.com/embed/H3kVztbFZog[/inwindow]
Old 12-07-11, 09:23 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I always sanded them with about 1000 grit wet sandpaper and polished 'em with a buffer and fine polishing compound, then waxed 'em and the came out like new. Having said that, they sell a kit in most parts stores to do the job without all of that work and a buffer. That's your best bet.
Old 12-08-11, 05:10 PM
amblyn
Rookie

Originally Posted by code58
I always sanded them with about 1000 grit wet sandpaper and polished 'em with a buffer and fine polishing compound, then waxed 'em and the came out like new. Having said that, they sell a kit in most parts stores to do the job without all of that work and a buffer. That's your best bet.

yea i bought some kit at autozone worked on my old toyota head light made lexus ones worse any brand you can recommend. i have an orbital buffer cheap from autozone will that work also how much do i sand them. ha alawys thought polishing compound did same thing as wax learn something new everyday i guess
Old 12-08-11, 05:26 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

The "whining" that you hear in the first video, is normal. All RX300's and highlanders make that noise. I've researched it before and came to the conclusion it's normal. Not sure exactly what causes the whirring noise. But, it's nothing to be afraid of.

For the headlights, get a headlight lens restorer kit. You don't even need the kit really, just get the compound and apply it in a circular motion. Then use a clean cloth and wipe it off. If they still aren't clear get 5000 grit sandpaper and get rid of the imperfections, then go over the headlight again with the restorer compound and it should clear the headlight up and make it look new.

Sorry, I don't know about the sunroof though. Never had an issue with that, as I don't use it ever.

Like I mentioned in the above post, you can replace the "D" light bulb and the headlight bulb. There's a DIY for it.
Old 12-08-11, 05:43 PM
amblyn
Rookie

thank you hyper and code will try it out