RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Help with transmission/shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-11, 04:43 AM
wutake
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with transmission/shifting issues

I have a 2001 RX with 138k miles on it. Just purchased it about a month and a half ago. Yesterday I noticed the shift from 1st to 2nd was a little rougher than usual, and 2nd to 3rd was even more noticeable. It worried me straight away, given the notorious transmission issues. I haven't done any maintenance since the purchase due to sheer laziness, a bit of a regret now. I did have a mechanic take a look though when I first got it though. When I noticed the hard shifting I decided I better just take it into a Lexus dealership to have a full checkup its first time and have the some light maintenance done. I live a bit of a distance from a dealership so I planned to take it today.

I make 35 mile round trip everyday on the highway so don't do much shifting in the lower gears. Today I take it out on the way to work and the same hard shifting from 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd. But this time, as I reached the highway and got around the 55 mph mark, the car would fight shifting between 3rd & 4th. It wouldn't switch into the last gear. I usually drive around 60 mph so this was where it was giving me problems. The gears kept switching it felt like I was going to stall. I turned overdrive off and it stopped trying to switch gears, but I was running at 3000 rpm @ 50 mph.

Once I got onto roads with slower mph and stopped, the gears didn't switch the same way, if at all, as it did before I left the house. With overdrive off, the car would not switch gears at all, I brought the rpm meter up to almost 5000 I think before I let off the gas. It felt like accelerating it in neutral but there was a slight bit of movement. With overdrive on, it would still rev way too high, so high I got scared again and let off the gas, but couldn't tell if it switched to 2nd or not. I got up to around 20-30mph cruising speed I think it might have shifted.

I'm not really car saavy and thats the best I could describe how it felt this morning. The car is now parked, I'm not sure how to proceed, if driving it would damage it further. I've done a search but haven't come across a issue quite like this. The way it chokes around 50-60mph. It didn't feel safe at all. I'm hoping some easy fixes like transmission drain or replacing a couple parts but am not looking forward to rebuilding or finding a new transmission.

Last edited by wutake; 12-14-11 at 04:56 AM.
Old 12-14-11, 06:06 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Your first step is to have the transmission pan dropped and the filter changed....Than refill the fluid, takes around 4.2 qtrs to do this...DO NOT DO A FLUSH. The recommended fluid is Toyota Type IV. I would suggest taking it to Toyota and tell them eactly what you want done....no flush just a fluid change with filter change, assuming it has the paper element. I would ask them to specifically tell you what the condition of the debris in the transmission pan was, either little hairs on the magnets, or excessive metal debris. You have not said whether you got a check engine light yet.? When it fails to go into 4th gear many times you will get a P07XX code, cant remember what it was....Good luck.

By the way you could pull the dip sick and see if the fluid is brown and burnt smelling. This is not good, but dont panic, try the fluid change first.
Old 12-14-11, 12:39 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

X2. Drain and fill the transmission ASAP. Try not to drive it, till you get the transmission fluid changed. Remember don't flush it.
Old 12-14-11, 01:34 PM
wutake
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice fellas.

Originally Posted by thomas1
Your first step is to have the transmission pan dropped and the filter changed....Than refill the fluid, takes around 4.2 qtrs to do this...DO NOT DO A FLUSH. The recommended fluid is Toyota Type IV. I would suggest taking it to Toyota and tell them eactly what you want done....no flush just a fluid change with filter change, assuming it has the paper element. I would ask them to specifically tell you what the condition of the debris in the transmission pan was, either little hairs on the magnets, or excessive metal debris. You have not said whether you got a check engine light yet.? When it fails to go into 4th gear many times you will get a P07XX code, cant remember what it was....Good luck.

By the way you could pull the dip sick and see if the fluid is brown and burnt smelling. This is not good, but dont panic, try the fluid change first.
Now, I'm still pretty clueless when you guys talk about codes. Do I need a device to get the codes or is there someway to check on the car?

No maintenance/check engine light is on. Just the rear taillight notification thats been on since I bought it.

Transmission drain was the first thing I thought of, but is it necessary to take it to a Toyota/Lexus dealership to do it? I wanted to take it their first to have a "legit" checkup, but now that the car is not shifting correctly, I won't be able to get it that far unless I tow it. I am an hour away from the city, but do have local mechanic shops & a wal mart in my town. Should I just drive it down the street to a wal mart and have them do the drain & fill first?
Old 12-14-11, 01:59 PM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

Drain and fill is simpler that oil + filter change.

Special tool needed is the hex key and narrow long neck funnel to fill.

Salim
Old 12-14-11, 02:17 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Be very careful of what fluid they put in it....Toyota Type iv is not same as Dexron 4.....There are some fluids that are aftermarket that will work, Mobil 1 full synthetic transmission fluid, Castrol Oil multi vehicle, Amzoil, but make sure it says it is compatable with Toyota Type IV.....If your local mechanic can drop the pan and change filter that would be a plus....Read the thread in the beginning of the RX forum about changing fluid and it will give you an idea of what is going on....
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...er-change.html
Old 12-14-11, 06:46 PM
lserlohn
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess your check engine light is on, and it says P0770, like mine. If so, you need to realize two things:

1. maybe the tranny is OK, then you need to replace the shift solenoid E. It would cost about $700-900 at dealership.

2. the tranny is gone, then you know......

It is very hard to decide if the tranny is ok, but if you hear a loud whining noise from your drive side at cold engine start, then your tranny is .....

People rarely sell their loved cars, like RX300. But when they decide to sell it, there must be a reason.......

Last edited by lserlohn; 12-14-11 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-15-11, 03:37 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lserlohn
I guess your check engine light is on, and it says P0770, like mine. If so, you need to realize two things:

1. maybe the tranny is OK, then you need to replace the shift solenoid E. It would cost about $700-900 at dealership.

2. the tranny is gone, then you know......

It is very hard to decide if the tranny is ok, but if you hear a loud whining noise from your drive side at cold engine start, then your tranny is .....

People rarely sell their loved cars, like RX300. But when they decide to sell it, there must be a reason.......
The OP states his check engine light is off. Please don't confuse him, by adding information about codes.
Old 12-15-11, 08:37 AM
wutake
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys, I'm going to take it to a local transmission shop and have them take a look today.
Old 12-15-11, 09:27 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Oh man, good luck....
Old 12-15-11, 11:45 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

If you're trying to save money, take it to either a Toyota dealer or an independent mechanic with considerable Toyota experience. .
Old 12-15-11, 02:51 PM
lserlohn
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can not agree more. You'd better take it to dealer. one hundred bucks will help you to make an educated decision next.

They need to open the tranny and check inside, not just test drive.

Originally Posted by JAB
If you're trying to save money, take it to either a Toyota dealer or an independent mechanic with considerable Toyota experience. .
Old 12-15-11, 04:14 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Here's a link to a video scottykilmer did on doing a drain and fill on an RX300.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-nhS...7E8NbSCKcsC72L
Old 12-19-11, 09:46 AM
wutake
Driver School Candidate

Okay I haven't taken it to the shop yet, just cause the local ones have been busy. But I called one back today and he said he could have the filter this afternoon to do the job.

However the two posts above insisting I take it to a dealership is worrying me now. So here's my situation so far...

Haven't driven the car since last week, and honestly don't even want to drive it the 7 miles to the guy's shop. I would have to drive 30mph the whole way and it'd still be at high RPMs. If I have to, I'll have it towed to his shop, but can anyone recommend any towbars? My father has a Toyota Tacoma that I can use to tow the car, if I have to later on down the road to a dealership or something.

How should I proceed? Go ahead and let him do the tranny drain and filter replacement? or just take it to a dealership in the city? It's just a really big hassle if I have to go through the dealership at this point. I want to be able to drive it to the dealership at least.
Old 12-19-11, 11:46 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Let him drain and fill it but take your own fluid, so you can make sure he's using the correct fluid. Get Castrol Multi-Vehicle Import ATF, or get Toyota Type-IV.

Quick Reply: Help with transmission/shifting issues