RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

I did something stupid! (Keys)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-02, 01:34 PM
additude
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I did something stupid!

Alright, how stupid is this....?? I have an RX300 and an LS400 and yesterday we took the RX out to our property and I left my keys for the LS in the RX while we were out cutting trees. I have the RX keys in my pocket. So, we finished up and drove home and this morning I decided yo go out and get my LS keys out of the RX. As I was heading out to the RX I noticed the sun roof was up and hopped into the RX, opened the lower console drawer, got my keys in hand and then slid back the inside sun roof cover and hit the sun roof switch...which of course didn't work because they keys were not in the ignition...so I stuck the keys in the ignition and it wouldn't turn....yea right, I stuck the LS keys in the RX ignition.

So I got the RX keys out of my pocket and put them in the ignition...but now the RX key wont turn in the ignition!

What did I do? Screw up the security system? My wife has to leave in the RX for work in about 2 hours...I can't start the RX.

What can I do??
Old 10-14-02, 01:17 AM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

I have accidentally engaged my wife's GS key into RX ignition many times, with no adverse after effects. I think the LS should have the same effect. There is got to be something else.

Try:

Pushing the key in beyond the normal stop point couple of times.
Wiggle the steering handle.
Use the other Master key of RX.
Arm the security system (lock, lock again with the remote). the unlock and engage key.

Salim
Old 10-14-02, 01:38 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done the same with my parents' LS and my RX. Did mess anything up, just made me feel stupid for trying to get it started for so long

The only thing I can think of is what salimshah said. Maybe try turning the steering wheel while turning the key in the ignition, if the wheel isn't centered.
Old 10-14-02, 07:05 AM
additude
Intermediate

This sucks....

I have tried the valet key, I've shaken-slid-jimmied-pushed-prodded and twisted each of the keys to death, I've moved the steering wheel to make sure it wasn't locked, I released the shifter, I've locked and unlocked the car, I've checked all the fuses, I've disconnected the battery, I've slid the LS key back into the ignition hoping it would undo what it did. I put the RX key into the LS and it didn't cause a problem.

When I put either the master or the valet key in the ignition the red security light stops blinking. If the door is open the beeper starts beeping.....

Oh well, it looks like my RX goes back into the shop....we bought it pre-owned as a 99 last year....this will be like 10 times we have had it back for repairs. The last time, maybe a month ago, the air sensor went out and it wouldn't idle.

I can't start it, I will need to have it towed this time....I am really beginning to hate this RX. I think it's a lemon.

It's not my fault because I slid the LS key into the ignition by mistake. That shouldn't have caused the ignition switch to freeze up....

This is crazy.
Old 10-14-02, 05:26 PM
Handogen
Driver

Undo the battery for a half hour to an hour... in the meantime, call your Lexus dealer and talk to one of the lead techs... You'd think this type of thing would occur at just about every Lexus dealership if it's related to right car/wrong key...

Good luck,
Hando
Old 10-14-02, 05:48 PM
additude
Intermediate

I already disconnected the battery. I called the Lexus dealership this morning and the tech told me this was the first time he had ever even heard of something like this.....the tow guy tried it make it work...he couldn't and said, "That's a first".....

It's at the shop now....I'll post back when it gets fixed.
Old 10-21-02, 07:28 AM
additude
Intermediate

Well my wifes RX is fixed.....what an ordeal. I was without the RX from Sunday to Thursday night, all door locks and the ignition switch was changed plus new keys......total was $1,590.00 and thank God it was covered under warranty.

Monday morning I called my Lexus dealer and they said best bet was to have it towed in and to call roadside assistance....I did and scheduled a tow....then thought that I have AAA so I called them to do the tow and called Lexus back to cancel.....not knowing Lexus uses AAA to tow....so when AAA gets the cancelation from Lexus they also cancel my tow.....so now I sit for 2 hrs until I call the tow company who tells me both tows were canceled....I call AAA back, tell them and of course they apologize and 2 hrs later I get a tow truck...

Lexus get the RX to late in the day to do anything with it....However Monday I hear nothing until around 6PM and they tell me the locks need to be replaced and they will order the parts...one day to get the parts and one day to install. They want to know if I have both keys, the Master and the Valet key because I only sent the Valet key with the RX when it was towed. Yes I do, they say OK, I say Fine....I will have it Wednesday before noon.

Wednesday afternoon I call....the parts came in that morning. They will be installed Thursday...Well OK, Fine.

Thursday around 4PM, I get a call, they are done installing the locks, but now they need the master key...which is on my wifes key ring at work....I ask, how come they didn't tell me they needed it 2 days ago? They apologize, they screwed up....I tell them I can't get the key to them until tomorrow and I have been without my vehicle since Sunday. Can they send a driver to where my wife is at work and get the key? Sorry, no driver is available....

Bummer, I call the wife and explain the situation to her.....she goes ballistic on me...I tell her I'll pick her up from work at 6 and get her and the key to the dealer, they can reprogram the key and we can go home.....OK, Fine.

Lexus calls...they have a driver to go get the key....OK, so I got *****ed at for nothing....the driver needs directions.....I give them to him.....

I call the wife back...a driver is on his way over to get the key, get ready and you can hop in the car with him and he can take you back to the dealership, get the key programmed and drive it home....OK, Fine.

Car gets home.....everything is fine....everything works....wife is happy......I'm relieved.......
Old 10-21-02, 12:34 PM
Handogen
Driver

So other than them saying they need to replace the locks/etc did they actually tell you what caused this problem? I'm guessing the key somehow got blanked, or the security system went nuts?

oddddd...

Well glad to hear you're back on the road. These things can be frustrating. We buy Lexus cars so we don't have to deal with the mundane average quality vehicle problems. So instead, we get high tech ultra expensive problems... which luckily most are covered by the warranty...
Old 10-22-02, 03:03 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by Handogen
...instead, we get high tech ultra expensive problems...
lol...that can be very true sometimes.

Yeah, so, what was the problem? That is a really odd thing to happen where all the locks and ignition had to be changed instead of new, reprogrammed keys

However, I am glad that things are working now. Did you not get a loaner for those four days?

Last edited by LexRX; 10-22-02 at 03:05 AM.
Old 10-22-02, 04:33 PM
Handogen
Driver

You know you've arrived when a moderator quotes you! hehe

Old 10-22-02, 04:51 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Hehhehh
Old 10-23-02, 01:57 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I couldn't resist either.

Last edited by LexRX; 10-23-02 at 01:57 AM.
Old 03-04-05, 09:14 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default We're Idiots Too

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but...
I just did the same thing tonight in my wife's RX300. I put my GS key into the RX ignition, and lo and behold, it would not start, the key would not turn at all. Tried all the resetting of the security, etc. but no luck. This is the second time this has happened, but not sure how it "fixed itself" the first time. Can anyone shed any more light on this one? It's still stuck after 6 hours and hasn't reset itself. I'd hate to have all the locks replaced by the stealership.
I can't help but feel that I confused the security system when I put the first (wrong) key in.
Old 03-05-05, 03:07 AM
additude
Intermediate

My problem ended up being a bad ignition switch. Because they changed out the ignition switch they had to change all the other locks to match.

I suppose, without breaking the switch apart that one of the pins got stuck. It was a defective switch; a mechanical problem.

It's possible that the last time your switch fixed itself the offending stuck pin freed itself.

If you know how the inside of a lock is made then you'll understand how a pin could bind slightly when it is pushed and then not bottom all the way back down when the key is removed. The pin is backed by a small spring which has just enough pressure to move the pin freely, but not really enough to overcome any kind of binding.

Wes
Old 03-05-05, 07:28 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a couple of TSBs that may pertain to this problem.
EL008-99 Engine Embolizer system precautions pertains to 1999 and 2000. Plus there are 2 more covering engine embolizer system troubleshooting.
EL005-03 Unable to turn key in ignition pertains to 2001
You can view these titles at AllData.com same as I did, but then it costs$25 to view the actual content.

Quick Reply: I did something stupid! (Keys)