RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-12, 05:07 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Fortunately, the RX is not that tough to crank. The original equipment Panasonic battery that came with the RX300 was probably superior, but I don't think those are readily available in the U.S. The U.S.-made Toyota/Lexus batteries are probably no better than the Costco ones and cost almost twice the price.

I have noticed that my mother's Lexus (year around in south Florida) has had batteries fail more often than my RX (which is not year around in Florida). So, the hot weather may be a major factor in battery life.
Old 01-08-12, 06:16 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I know a lot of people that have gone with the Kirkland batteries and have had great success with them, including family members.
Old 01-08-12, 07:50 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
Trying not to be negative about this, but I speak as someone who has run quite a few JC batteries and can say from regular testing that they are for the most part a very mediocre battery at best. Problem is, since they've bought a good deal of the competition out, they are the major, and one of the few players left in town. I load test my batteries on a regular basis (every 2-3 months) and charge with a smart charger as necessary and JC batteries, as a rule simply DO NOT hold voltage well, nor do they load test well. My wife's '11 Toyota Camry (which came with a Toyota battery made by JC) has load tested well for it's year + of service but with it showing full charge when we left for 3 weeks over Christmas and New years, upon return a load test showed barely 12.2 V., a 50% charge. There was no drain except for normal parasitic drain from keep-alive components, not enough to hardly show a drop. My experience has always been this very thing with JC Batteries, They may start the car fine, but a load test tells the true story, and it's not a pretty one. Remember, the battery, for a large part only starts the car, from then on the alternator supplies the juice to run things and a jumper battery will start it with sometimes a 1/4 of the cranking amps of you car battery, so the fact that the battery starts the car when you turn the key is a POOR guage of the actual health of the battery. I wish we had the day back when you actually had the choice of batteries that, by load test, showed they actually passed their health check with flying colors rather than the "turn of the key check" which says it started the car, it must be fine. Alas, I'm afraid, for the most part, current marketing flim-flamery has ended that for good.

Optima used to have a great reputation pre JC buyout. Now they seem to be worse than average.

What brand(s) would you recommend? It seems like almost everything is made by them now.
Old 01-08-12, 10:44 AM
vietalogy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got the kirkland battery today for $66.
Old 01-08-12, 01:25 PM
jcjr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ilike the Duragold from Autozone...have had good success with these..
Old 01-08-12, 11:19 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy07
Optima used to have a great reputation pre JC buyout. Now they seem to be worse than average.

What brand(s) would you recommend? It seems like almost everything is made by them now.
Carguy- you hit the nail on the head. Optima WAS a great battery til JC bought them out and downgraded it to inferior status, like most of what they sell. I actually run Kirkland as replacement (and NOT because I think they are a great battery), it's because JC IS almost the only game in town since they've bought most of the rest out. Kirkland is made by JC, a good deal of Walmart are made by JC (but not all), Motorcraft is made by JC (once one of the best batteries made while made by GNB, but now very mediocre at best when made by JC), hard to name very many that aren't now. The ONLY reason I buy Kirkland is because they are so easy to deal with if you have a problem. They don't even test, they take your word for it that it's bad, then they don't even force you to buy one of their batteries, they give you the cash back. As stated, I test my batteries every 2 to 3 months with an OTC resistance load tester and more importantly, a carbon pile tester. The carbon pile tester is still the gold standard of testers in my book, and I can guaranty you, most JC batteries DO NOT test strong when truly tested, not "turn the key and it starts test". I've tested thousands of batteries and this is the voice of experience.
To answer your question- recommendation? The only one I know of currently that holds consistent high standards of quality in build is Odysey (they make the Sears Platinum) but they are expensive enough that I probably wouldn't even recommend it for the average driver. The sadest day for me was when GNB sold to Exide and the GNB battery (they built for an absolute ton of names including Motorcraft but never retailed under their own name) went from being one of the best batteris ever built to another piece of c*#p built by Exide, just in the same plant.
Old 01-08-12, 11:29 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bob2200
Fortunately, the RX is not that tough to crank. The original equipment Panasonic battery that came with the RX300 was probably superior, but I don't think those are readily available in the U.S. The U.S.-made Toyota/Lexus batteries are probably no better than the Costco ones and cost almost twice the price.

I have noticed that my mother's Lexus (year around in south Florida) has had batteries fail more often than my RX (which is not year around in Florida). So, the hot weather may be a major factor in battery life.
Bob, You are correct, the Panasonic is a TERRIFIC battery, far better than anything we have access to here, but they aren't even sold here, only supplied as OEM on cars made in Japan, as far as I know. The U.S. made T/L batteries are made by JC in Mex., though SOME of them may be made here, all I've seen have been made in Mex. You're right, buy the same battery from Costco for half. Your also correct, heat anywhere causes premature battery failure.
Old 01-12-12, 11:01 AM
Xtom73G
Driver

My retirement job as security on remote desert powerline construction sites means that I absolutely must have strong battery power, no matter what. I just replaced the one in my RX 300 with top of the line Sears Diehard. I also carry one of those battery jumper boxes for emergencies. Battery rundown due to long use of the radio was not an issue in my Jeep Cherokee, but the RX seems to have a higher drain rate, I suspect due to maybe more speakers or the CD changer being online even when not in use.
Old 01-12-12, 12:39 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtom73G
My retirement job as security on remote desert powerline construction sites means that I absolutely must have strong battery power, no matter what. I just replaced the one in my RX 300 with top of the line Sears Diehard. I also carry one of those battery jumper boxes for emergencies. Battery rundown due to long use of the radio was not an issue in my Jeep Cherokee, but the RX seems to have a higher drain rate, I suspect due to maybe more speakers or the CD changer being online even when not in use.
Just a tip, if you are running the radio for a prolonged time with the car off. You might want to lower the brightness on the display so that it will consume less power. How much less, who knows, but it's still less. LOL
Old 01-12-12, 02:11 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Just replaced mine today with another Diehard, which had been in for 4 1/2 years +/-.
Old 01-12-12, 11:43 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Xtom73G
Here's a tip (that most people won't use for a number of reasons), I did Code 3 outfitting for a major law enforcement unit so I'm used to doing electrical.
How many of you remember when Sears sold a battery that had a sepereate section in it that had a small booster battery (so to speak) that would keep you out of trouble if your battery was run down in the toolies. You simply turned a switch on the battery and it connected that section with the normal battery secrtion and presto, you were on your way! It must not have sold well because it wasn't sold by them for very long and it disappeared. You can do the same thing with the battery from a booster, which is very small. It can be mounted under the hood (taking VERY little room, can be connected into the charging system by an ignition triggered heavy duty relay or constant duty solenoid). If you are using a heavy enough solenoid, you simply turn the key on and start it because it is hooked back into the electrical system to act as a jumper automatically. If you have left the key on to listen to the stereo, it would need a simple toggle switch to cut it OUT of the system when the key was on to keep it from being run down with the chassis battery. If I was used to being 20 mi. off-road alone and doing this, that's definitely what I would hook up. It's a "get out of the mess I got myself into free" card.
Old 01-13-12, 10:36 AM
Xtom73G
Driver

Exclamation

And then there was the time this guy from a much less professional guard company asked me to jump start his car, and I did so. Then I found out the reason. The car had a lockout on the ignition because he had to blow into a tube to prove he was not drinking, or the car would not start.
Old 01-14-12, 12:06 AM
code58
Lexus Champion