RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

are these legit/reliable struts from ebay?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-12, 04:56 PM
NyCrAzY
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are these legit/reliable struts from ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1350-99-03-L...item336d553c72
Old 01-14-12, 05:25 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Too cheap.
Old 01-14-12, 05:50 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

They are legit. But, they ride firm from what I've been told. They aren't as soft as OE. I thought about getting those over the KYB, but considering I plan on driving the RX into the ground (ie. forever), I didn't want to cheap out on the struts.
Old 01-14-12, 06:56 PM
NyCrAzY
Driver

Originally Posted by hypervish
They are legit. But, they ride firm from what I've been told. They aren't as soft as OE. I thought about getting those over the KYB, but considering I plan on driving the RX into the ground (ie. forever), I didn't want to cheap out on the struts.
touche.

I see some KYB struts @ advanced auto parts for $142 each. May opt to go for those. Planning to keep this baby until I graduate college which won't be for another 4 years
Old 01-14-12, 07:28 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...placement.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...for-135-a.html
Old 01-14-12, 09:15 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The Apex struts are discussed in another thread, also. I have pondered getting them myself!
Old 01-14-12, 10:20 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I still don't see how a set of 4 could cost a total of only $170.
Old 01-14-12, 11:19 PM
NyCrAzY
Driver

Ah! I'm hearing mixed reviews. Does anybody actually have one so we can get an input?

This price is too good to be true ..
Old 01-15-12, 05:36 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NyCrAzY
Ah! I'm hearing mixed reviews. Does anybody actually have one so we can get an input?

This price is too good to be true ..
If you looked through the very helpful links carguy07 posted, you would see that a few people who have bought them and installed them gave their input about them.
Old 01-16-12, 01:07 AM
LA4Mead
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I have them. There is a completely different thread on these, you may want to "search".
My review:
1. These are the same stiffness as the new original struts OE made by KYB. They seem a little stiff at first, but so do OE. Worn OE will compare softly to anything new. OE strut mounts are recommended. The high cost was new OE strut mounts and all new rubber parts and labor.
2. I appreciated the silver finish only because my car is silver. OE are black.
3. Fit was exact as OE. There were no fittment issues.
4. My biggest issue was I was not happy with the shop I had install them, that's a side issue, but you need to consider that the shop may not appreciate installing parts you purchase elsewhere even if it's pre-arranged that way.
5. I'm happy with the struts. It's the strut mounts and the rubber that wear out sooner. Yes, I would recommend the APX source. Please post what you decide and your experience, too.

Last edited by LA4Mead; 01-16-12 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01-16-12, 09:47 AM
NyCrAzY
Driver

Originally Posted by LA4Mead
Yes, I have them. There is a completely different thread on these, you may want to "search".
My review:
1. These are the same stiffness as the new original struts OE made by KYB. They seem a little stiff at first, but so do OE. Worn OE will compare softly to anything new. OE strut mounts are recommended. The high cost was new OE strut mounts and all new rubber parts and labor.
2. I appreciated the silver finish only because my car is silver. OE are black.
3. Fit was exact as OE. There were no fittment issues.
4. My biggest issue was I was not happy with the shop I had install them, that's a side issue, but you need to consider that the shop may not appreciate installing parts you purchase elsewhere even if it's pre-arranged that way.
5. I'm happy with the struts. It's the strut mounts and the rubber that wear out sooner. Yes, I would recommend the APX source. Please post what you decide and your experience, too.
I may go for these then. Thanks so much for your opinion.

Now ... by all means, I am no expert in cars nor struts but I do know for a fact I need other components for this these struts (sorry, still learning a lot from this forum about my RX300)

What I am planning to do is buy all the parts then take it to my mechanic shop for install.

So pretty much, I need the following -

4 struts (from apx via eBay)
4 mounts (OEM is preferred from what I've been hearing).

what else am I going to need?

Last edited by NyCrAzY; 01-16-12 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-17-12, 07:58 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

they are 'legit'. These are made by Sensen - www.Rockauto.com also carries these at 38$/corner plus shipping.

So that is the 'price' mind you, they may not last as long as other brands, say moog/monroe that comes with a lifetime warranty.

I was looking at these for my ES300 way back, but piecing it together [separately] wasn't worth it, since having to take apart the old ones to swap springs & reinstall was $$ labor wise itself, before the install. So i had purchase quickstruts by monroe [470$ for all four after rebate], they simply pop in without reinstalling anything. Unfortunately these aren't avail. for your car, but I suggest you use rockauto since they actually have customer support and live support. And of course its cheaper

My other suggestion is, what is wrong with the car as-is? *just* struts/mounts?

It wouldn't hurt to pony up another 100$ or so and get new endlinks & bushings all around [again rockauto, bushings for a few bucks and endlinks for like 20$], since the guy is 'already in there', so to save some costs down the road labor wise. That's what i did. I did it in phases at first, then said screw it and replaced it all so i don't have to worry about it and spent the extra 1hr in labor now vs. later at, say 1.5hrs.

good luck!
Old 01-17-12, 08:21 PM
Transforma
Driver School Candidate

NYcrazy, you are going to need strut boots as well on the list.

The price seems very tempting... my rx has also around 175K.
Old 01-18-12, 03:35 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

The believe the strut mounts include bellows.
Old 01-19-12, 12:19 AM
LA4Mead
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Through APX my Sensen struts also came with a lifetime warrantee (on the parts, of course).
2. This application is a full strut replacement, not just the strut (shock absorber) cartridge. The spring stays with the car anyway.
3. I would replace the "strut mounts" front and rear (I chose O.E.M.) and consider replacing the rubber spring "insulators". That's what usually goes bad first, but you replace the strut because the labor and the strut mount are the expensive parts. Sewell Lexus is a major sponsor of this site and gave the most generous discount and was responsive to my inquiries when I was confused on the part numbers. They provide on-line parts diagrams and help finding the right parts for your model. You can find their link in the sponsors section of this website. Have your VIN ready to get the right quote and parts. They helped and simplified the process for me.