RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Help with 1999 RX300 189,000 miles intermittent miss cylinders 3 and 5

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-12, 11:36 AM
bwilmoth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 1999 RX300 189,000 miles intermittent miss cylinders 3 and 5

The vehicle was running fine. The wife stopped and got gas. She left the station the engine light
began flashing. At idle the vehicle does not seem to miss and the light goes away. As you accelerate to 20 mph the light begins flashing.

Took it to a locate garage i trust to see if they could diagnos the problem. They spent 4 hours on it coming up empty. All they could tell me is the coils, plugs, injectors, vacume pressure, and compression checked out good. The compression could not be checked at time of miss due to it being intermittant. The V.V.T. actuator was unplugged and the problem persisted.
They recommended taking it to a lexus dealer who has the parts to diagnose the problem.

Any one had a similar problem or ideas where to go from here. Taking one last shot before going to the dealer.

Old 01-16-12, 12:05 PM
amblyn
Rookie

Originally Posted by bwilmoth
The vehicle was running fine. The wife stopped and got gas. She left the station the engine light
began flashing. At idle the vehicle does not seem to miss and the light goes away. As you accelerate to 20 mph the light begins flashing.

Took it to a locate garage i trust to see if they could diagnos the problem. They spent 4 hours on it coming up empty. All they could tell me is the coils, plugs, injectors, vacume pressure, and compression checked out good. The compression could not be checked at time of miss due to it being intermittant. The V.V.T. actuator was unplugged and the problem persisted.
They recommended taking it to a lexus dealer who has the parts to diagnose the problem.

Any one had a similar problem or ideas where to go from here. Taking one last shot before going to the dealer.

Out of curiosity. Any other codes besides misfire. Have you reset codes and drove again to check first codes that come up. My only expierience with a misfire was caused by a bad af sensor bank 1 sensor 1. Not sure if this is your case but its worth a shot at checking. Sensor location is if you get under car passenger side between engine and firewall about even with rear of front pass tire. Its a pain to getto but you can reach it try unplugging it test resistance should be between. .08 and 1.4 i think if it reads infinity zero load its bad. Search google or this forumn for correct readings as my memory isnt that great.

If your sensor gives bad reading causing to rich or to lean of a mixture it will cause a misfire. Hope i helped good luck.
Old 01-16-12, 02:47 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by bwilmoth

This happened to me last summer on my Avalon (same engine except no VVTi). I swore it had to be bad gas but it turned out to be a fuel injector. I couldn't believe it because my CE light came on less than 1/2 mile from the gas station. Since 3 and 5 are right next to each other I suspect the problem could be either one. How did they determine it wasn't a bad coil or injector? I was lucky as my misfire was on #2 which made troubleshooting a breeze. The first thing I would do is put two cans of Techron concentrate in my tank. My light wasn't flashing so I wasn't concerned about frying my cat converter. As much as I detest Stealerships, a flashing CE light might force me there.

Last edited by artbuc; 01-16-12 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-16-12, 04:20 PM
bwilmoth
Driver School Candidate

Default Help with 1999 RX300 189,000 miles intermittent miss cylinders 3 and 5 Reply to Threa

I am finding alot of information on the forum concerning OCV or Camshaft Control Valve problems causing misfires similar to mine. Found this thread http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=44742 on the topic.
Anyone had any experience with this problem.
I would think it was the gas causing the problem but this misfire is only on 3 and 5.
I not sure how he tested the injector but he said it was good. He said he spent 4 hours trying to diagnos the problem and did not charge me for his time.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-23-12, 04:58 AM
bwilmoth
Driver School Candidate

Default elp with 1999 RX300 189,000 miles intermittent miss cylinders 3 and 5

Update my vehicle quit running or starting all together and was producing codes p0300 p0303
p0305. I cleaned the IACV valve and throttle plate with "Seafoam" they were very dirty and the IACV appeared to be stuck. The vlave **** would turn but require quit a bit of force. Once cleaned the **** moved with little force.

I started the vehicle with starter spray it would run for a few seconds and die. After several attempts and thinking over night I changes the fuel pump and filter out. The car starts fine now but idles too high. Anyone had a similar problem after cleaning the IACV with "Seafoam" or is the IACV shot all together. I cleaned it with the valve still attached to the throttle body.

Thanks