RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Transmission Update

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-12, 09:13 PM
salimshah

Received 1,061 Likes on 957 Posts

Originally Posted by MuraliFX
1. years back - Drive position indicator on dash stopped working- just for drive
2. 1 year back - reverse will not engage all the time - lexus said nothing can be done as it is a sealed system no ATF change .. wait for it to fail and replace
3. 2 months back - on higway 2 days after service - burnt smell, engine check and sporadic slipping
4. Lexus quotes 4000 + for transmission.. and i start research into forums and support for help.
5. corp gives 25% of customer

Lexus stood at 3850.00. sent this thread and asked for a breakdown on parts and labor.

Towed to AAMCO 65/-
free diagnosis to confirm car needs transmission 700 to open and tell exact estimate, 1500 if continue to rebuild repair there. 390 for torque converter, 800 - 1000 if planetory system needs replacement. lookingat close to 3000.

Towed to Worley's (65/-) 2100 all inclusive + tax for parts < 100.00.

Hendrix Lexus dealer calls to inform that there might be a mistake in numbers and how they gave the initial estimate. confirms in the morning that the cost will be 2500 + tax.

Towed to Lexus ( 65/- )

grounded vehicle for two months due to this lexus numbers I had and back and forth with corporate and dealer. 200/- spent in towing the vehicle around and now finally a chance to get it done reliably, but will not accept the mistake or give in writing on how they came up with new numbers. Nor compensate for the above hardships.

Called 2 other lexus dealers for quotes meanwhile to get their numbers. 1 said that they use a local shop and charge 2900

For 2000 and 2001 there recomend ATF change every 15000 miles and atleast once before 100K. Hendricx refused to change oil even when I had a reverse issue and now states that it go more bad if they do that. With regular service in lexus all through 112K now they have never changed the ATF even once.

What do I do with the rebuilt or changed transmission now..
I certainly sympathies with you and your post has the sad story .... but if you want any advice from the forum, you need to list the choices you are facing.

If the transmission is going to be rebuilt, who is going to rebuild it and where are they getting the parts from (oen or after-market).

If the transmission is going to be swapped, then who built that one.

What are the warranties and who will provide the warranty work.

Since you are a new member, let me remind you that what we discuss here is just the customer point of view, sort of support group. You need to contact Lexus corp to get their official position.

Please understand, Lexus is only obligated to provide you warranty work. Anything they do, beyond it, is purely out of goodwill. Some customers got more benefit and some got less and some got nothing. The dealership you go to, can influence the amount of good-will. I can almost assure you that they do their best to charge the customer or the manufacturer.

If a service adviser gave you bad advice and you followed it, and it caused you harm, you can take it to the court ,,, but you will have to prove your case.

Salim
Old 02-09-12, 02:11 AM
MuraliFX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Trans - Maintenance

I was told that I will be getting a swapped transmission rebuilt by Lexus.
1-year 12500 miles warranty. Got information yesterday that they are waiting for some parts and will be road testing today.

The question was how do we maintain the ATF replacement going on. when the how varies between two Lexus dealers. one says replace every 15K for older Lexus and every 60K for newer ones. My local dealer says no replacement needed since it is not recommended.
Old 02-09-12, 03:36 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

ATF drain and fill every 15k miles. My uncle and I both use this schedule and he has over ~380k miles on his 99' RX300 original trans, I have 173k on my 00' with original trans.
Make sure to use Toyota Type-IV when you do the drain and fills.
Old 02-09-12, 04:56 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
ATF drain and fill every 15k miles. My uncle and I both use this schedule and he has over ~380k miles on his 99' RX300 original trans, I have 173k on my 00' with original trans.
Make sure to use Toyota Type-IV when you do the drain and fills.
Good advice. I might even do the very first one earlier than that just to get the break in junk out quick. Overkill maintenance is a good thing to me.
Old 02-18-12, 07:22 PM
blueridge
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Skyhigh82
Took 2001 into Lexus dealer when I found out from my prior post that the trans pump was going. Lexus confirmed the trans was shot. Prior to taking it in I called corporate Lexus and complained about having to pay the estimated cost of $5k+ for replacement. After 4 days of communications between corporate and dealership this is the proposed deal. I pay labor $1700 and Lexus will pick up the parts cost $2,500+. Sounds pretty good to me, whatcha think? oh and I have a loaner
What exactly clued them in on the pump? My 2001 has 140,000 on it and just started making an odd whining noise when it's cold. Right from start up at idle, almost as if the starter is not disengaging. Goes away somewhat when it warms up. Sounds as if it's coming from the starter but we all know what's below the starter. Just took it to a Toyota dealer for a state inspection and while it was there I asked them to troubleshoot the noise. They said it sounded like it was coming from the starter or transmission and didn't charge me.

I'm fearing it's the pump. Did your noise mirror the RPMs of the engine? Any shifting issues? My noise mirrors the RPMs and the shifting has always been smooth.

Last edited by blueridge; 02-18-12 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-19-12, 05:25 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

It sounds like you are describing the whirring noise. Which is normal. You can do a search and see that there have been many threads in the past on the noise, if in fact it is the whirring noise you are talking about.

Here's one thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...2nd-gears.html

But, since you mention you can hear it at idle, this very well may not be related to the whirring noise thread. As the whirring noise only occurs when driving.
Old 02-19-12, 08:29 AM
blueridge
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hypervish
It sounds like you are describing the whirring noise. Which is normal. You can do a search and see that there have been many threads in the past on the noise, if in fact it is the whirring noise you are talking about.

Here's one thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...2nd-gears.html

But, since you mention you can hear it at idle, this very well may not be related to the whirring noise thread. As the whirring noise only occurs when driving.
Yeah it's not the typical whirling noise. This is a whining or a humming noise. It sounds like the starter is still engaged which I think it impossible without ruining it quickly. It's coming from the starter area though. If it was the other side I'd think a bad pulley or belt going bad or to tight.

I'd love to know if the transmission pump mirrors the engine RPMs or if it does it's own thing.