RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Backup Camera...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-12, 03:34 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Backup Camera...

I just purchased a backup camera and 3.5 inch monitor to mount on the RX. My grandfather has been using the car lately since it is the only car he can ride in due to the seats being able to lower down in the front (puts less pressure on his hip). SO I figured I would install a backup camera to help him since he can't turn around easily. My question to you guys is:
Where can I tap into power easily? I am going to mount the monitor to the left of the steering wheel where that useless corner window is.
I would like it to just come on with the reverse lights. I know how to wire the camera itself, I would just like to know where I could wire the monitor to come on when I put it in reverse.
I could easily tap into the fuse box from the location I am putting it in, so if there is somewhere in there that I could wire it to that would be great.
I will hopefully post up a DIY when I have completed it if anyone is interested.
Thanks,
Jason
P.S. Anybody know what size the reverse lights are? I would like to change them to LED's that way it is brighter for at night.

Last edited by 99rx; 01-28-12 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-24-12, 11:57 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Several questions- #1, you did get instructions with the BU camera system didn't you? It's generally best to follow those rather than asking for directions from people who have no idea what brand or kind of system you have. #2, it should tell you exactly where to tap into the BU lights to come on in reverse. Is it a wireless or a wired system? # 3, I wouldn't worry about putting in LED bulbs untill you get the system in operation and find out if you need it. I have a wireless system in my truck that amplifies the light at night so that even at dusk, it looks as light as broad daylight. Then when it gets totally dark it amplifies the BU & brake lights so that it is totally light even when you can hardly see back at night. It is really amazing, and there are NO LED's on the BU camera either. #4, you have to be careful where you tap into a fuse box because you don't want to tap into anything that involves the operation of the engine or transmission or Air Bags, etc. or you may create a hazardous situation if that fuse decides to blow because of added demand or short because of the BU camera.
Old 01-25-12, 05:51 AM
99rx
Instructor

The instructions I have do not help what so ever. I will post a picture of them later. I bought the monitor and camera off of Amazon. All I need to know is where the reverse wire is that goes into the fusebox. That is the wire that I am suppose to tap in to.
Old 01-25-12, 11:41 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 99rx
The instructions I have do not help what so ever. I will post a picture of them later. I bought the monitor and camera off of Amazon. All I need to know is where the reverse wire is that goes into the fusebox. That is the wire that I am suppose to tap in to.
I can't believe they'd tell you to tap into the BU light wire at the fuse box. You tap into it at the back where the back-up camera is and where the reverse light wire also is. That's where you always tap into it. Just use a 3-M parallel or "T" tap onto either sides BU lights wiring on the "hot" wire. That's all you need. Whenever the car is put in reverse it turns the camera on automatically. You never did answer the question of whether it's wireless or wired from the camera. It makes a difference.
Old 01-26-12, 09:29 AM
99rx
Instructor

Yes yes yes. I will run the power for the BU Camera to the reverse light in the liftgate, but I am talking about running power for the monitor... I want it to come on at the same time as the camera. Does it need power or will the video wire give it power?
Old 01-26-12, 11:14 AM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Which brand camera and lcd screen you bought?
Old 01-27-12, 12:51 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Yes yes yes. I will run the power for the BU Camera to the reverse light in the liftgate, but I am talking about running power for the monitor... I want it to come on at the same time as the camera. Does it need power or will the video wire give it power?
Never did get an answer about whether it's wired or wireless camera, so I'll try asking for the 3rd time. The monitor should be wired to a key on source. It will be hot when the car is being driven, therefore come on immediately when you go imnto reverse. You don't wire the monitor to the reverse wire. I have had 2 BU camera's and at least that's the way they're wired. Both of mine have been wireless camera, so if you have wired, all bets are off.
Old 01-27-12, 05:44 AM
99rx
Instructor

Mine is a wired camera. I will be running the video wire up to the monitor. I have read that wireless isn't always the best and has patchy video quality. I have no problem running the wires up to the front. Sounds like I should just go ahead and run the power for the monitor to the same place that I have my radar detector powered. Thanks.
And there is no name brand of the camera or monitor.
Old 01-28-12, 12:09 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Both of the ones I've installed on my own vehicles just happened to be wireless, not because I necessarily chose that type. I will have to say there has been nearly zero problem because of the wireless. The one I have in my truck has a 7 in. monitor which I custom inset into the back side of my visor so that it's hidden when I'm not driving and have the visor up.
Old 01-28-12, 10:39 AM
99rx
Instructor

I wanted to do something like that, but for now this will do fine. If he wants it bigger, then I will go with a 7 inch and find some place to mount it where it is not awkward.
Old 01-29-12, 12:05 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

I wanted to do something like that, but for now this will do fine. If he wants it bigger, then I will go with a 7 inch and find some place to mount it where it is not awkward.
7 in. is too large for anywhere on the dash and I wanted it hidden while not in use. It actually came with a nice dash mount bracket as well as really nice straps that velcro'd around the visor. I wanted it really neat hense the reason I mounted it INTO the side of the visor that's up when not in use, that way I just flip it down to use the camera and it's right in front of my face, but completely hidden whe not being driven and the visor is up.
Old 02-05-12, 05:01 PM
samasaurus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
7 in. is too large for anywhere on the dash and I wanted it hidden while not in use. It actually came with a nice dash mount bracket as well as really nice straps that velcro'd around the visor. I wanted it really neat hense the reason I mounted it INTO the side of the visor that's up when not in use, that way I just flip it down to use the camera and it's right in front of my face, but completely hidden whe not being driven and the visor is up.
I'd like to see some pics & details on how you mounted the monitor into your visor. Whats a good brand for wireless BU system?
Old 02-05-12, 11:09 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by samasaurus
I'd like to see some pics & details on how you mounted the monitor into your visor. Whats a good brand for wireless BU system?
I have a very good camera and use a Mac computer but to this point I haven't done any posting of pictures. I will see if I can either use the Mac tutorial or see if my son can lead me through it. He has never used a Mac, so is not familiar with the differences but he does posting of pictures all the time (and is an electrical engineer working for a commercial software company) so though a PC guy, he may be able to help me. I am used to doing custom work and did have to remove the mirror, peel back the upholstery and carve out the area (with an air die grinder and several different styles of burrs) to accomodate the 7 in. monitor and then glued the material back over the edge before installing the monitor. My main goal was for it to be hidden when not in use.
The one I have is a Peak, but they show it as out of stock on Amazon (I bought it at Sam's Club about 2 years ago) and they don't know when, or if they will have it again. It is actually a pretty nice camera and monitor. Monitor has full panel of controls. There are a ton of 'em to chose from, prices all over the map.
Old 02-06-12, 03:38 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
I have a very good camera and use a Mac computer but to this point I haven't done any posting of pictures. I will see if I can either use the Mac tutorial or see if my son can lead me through it. He has never used a Mac, so is not familiar with the differences but he does posting of pictures all the time (and is an electrical engineer working for a commercial software company) so though a PC guy, he may be able to help me. I am used to doing custom work and did have to remove the mirror, peel back the upholstery and carve out the area (with an air die grinder and several different styles of burrs) to accomodate the 7 in. monitor and then glued the material back over the edge before installing the monitor. My main goal was for it to be hidden when not in use.
The one I have is a Peak, but they show it as out of stock on Amazon (I bought it at Sam's Club about 2 years ago) and they don't know when, or if they will have it again. It is actually a pretty nice camera and monitor. Monitor has full panel of controls. There are a ton of 'em to chose from, prices all over the map.
I have a Mac, I can gladly help you if you want.
Old 02-06-12, 11:11 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hypervish
I have a Mac, I can gladly help you if you want.
Thanks Hyper, I have a busy day tomorrow and part of Wed. but then I'll see if I can take you up on that. I am planning on doing the same thing with my wife's "11 Camry so I'll take pictures as I go with that. I also intend to custom build the camera into the deck (probably in the ugly bull horns emblem in the center of the lid) so that only the lens shows. On my truck I used the license frame camera bracket because I had less choice going into the tail gate (great big brace right dead in my way, not easy even for custom)