RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

01 RX 300 Air fuel sensor code p1135, p1155

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-12, 10:22 AM
2ks
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

To Code58.

I will clear this up later when i have more time to type. I will even send you the link to the $50 sensor, which by the way is working just fine in the forward most position (P1150 code originally on) now is cleared and working great, the P1155 is the rear sensor (back of block) right above Pre-Cat converter. Thats the one that won't clear and has had cheap sensor, a bosch sensor and now has a new Denso sensor in it and still has code of heater circuit not working. I gave up on cheap sensors and went with Denso but P1155 remains. I will let everyone else know later what the Dealer said it "might be".

Last edited by 2ks; 03-10-12 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-08-12, 10:39 AM
rxtaylor
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rxtaylor
So I put the original sensor back into the Bank 1 Sensor 1 position and checked the codes again.
Sorry... Typo... I put the original sensor back into the "Bank 2 Sensor 1" position.

fd3sboost... you have my sympathy. That really stinks.
Old 03-08-12, 10:41 AM
rxtaylor
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Kevin.
Good Luck at the dealership.
Old 03-08-12, 11:35 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
X3, you MUST use Denso sensors. The ECU doesn't play nicely with aftermarket sensors.

Yup, what he said! ^^^^^^
Old 03-09-12, 12:22 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ks
To Code58.

I will clear this up later when i have more time to type. I will even send you the link to the $50 sensor, which by the way is working just fine in the forward most position (P1135 code originally on) now is cleared and working great, the P1155 is the rear sensor (back of block) right above Pre-Cat converter. Thats the one that won't clear and has had cheap sensor, a bosch sensor and now has a new Denso sensor in it and still has code of heater circuit not working. I gave up on cheap sensors and went with Denso but P1155 remains. I will let everyone else know later what the Dealer said it "might be".
Kevin, I don't know how to say this any other way. YOU NEED to go back and read what I said! You have your banks mixed up. Code P1135 refers to one thing and one thing only! That is the HEATER in B1S1 (the REAR, NOT the front sensor) P1155 refers to B2S1 which is the HEATER in the FRONT, NOT the REAR sensor. That has been stated more than once and it is fact you can take to the bank.

Kevin, If you can get straight which bank is which and get the right sensors in the right holes and get that you can't have front and rtear codes on the same bank and you still have CEL, VSC and TRAC off lights, come back and I'll give you a link to deal with that.

Last edited by code58; 03-09-12 at 12:40 AM.
Old 03-09-12, 02:44 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
Kevin, I don't know how to say this any other way. YOU NEED to go back and read what I said! You have your banks mixed up. Code P1135 refers to one thing and one thing only! That is the HEATER in B1S1 (the REAR, NOT the front sensor) P1155 refers to B2S1 which is the HEATER in the FRONT, NOT the REAR sensor. That has been stated more than once and it is fact you can take to the bank.

Kevin, If you can get straight which bank is which and get the right sensors in the right holes and get that you can't have front and rtear codes on the same bank and you still have CEL, VSC and TRAC off lights, come back and I'll give you a link to deal with that.
Don't give up Roger, you are getting close
Old 03-09-12, 03:27 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by artbuc
Don't give up Roger, you are getting close
Art, I swear sometimes I feel like I would wear out! Sorry that my patience wears a little thin sometimes. I'm just now over the flu- 1st. time in 35-40 years to have it and hope it's another 35-40! I used to tell my wife "you don't listen" (she didn't) and there are times I want to shout it to the world! Have a great week-end Art. (Those kind of posts give me a headache somtimes.)
Old 03-10-12, 11:18 AM
2ks
Driver School Candidate

Kevin, like RX (last poster in this thread), your story is hard to follow. You really need a better understanding of what the codes you are getting mean and what triggers certain CEL's. I do say, FOLLOW the advice of the others who have said GET RID OF THE AFTERMARKET SENSORS! If you decide to use good used sensors, for goodness sake make sure they're DENSO! (I am not suggesting used sensors!)
You say "the aft sensors code P1135 & P1155 came on". Do you realize you posted the codes for BOTH sensors, NOT for just the rear sensor. Those 2 codes are SPECIFIC for the HEATERS in both front and rear (B1S1 & B2S1) I should add right here that MOST Lexus DTC lists have an ERROR at this point, and it causes a lot of confusion. I suspicion this error came straight from T/L. I have sent a correction from their site to one of the major DTC code suppliers (one I use all the time and respect) almost a year ago and there never was a correction. The error is showing the explanation for P1155 as B1S1 and it is clearly supposed to be B2S1.
Please don't say you know it's NOT the sensor if you have aftermarket sensors in there. I also don't know where, outside of alley in Tialand, you could buy even aftermarket sensors (supposedly correct ones) for $50. apiece. A lot of the name brand aftermarket A/F ratio sensors are MORE expensive even than the Denso sensors, now that the Denso's have come down, even though the aftermarkets OFTEN are problematic and sometimes don't even work right out of the box. (Not terribly uncommon for them to throw codes when brand new, even though the only problem is the aftermarket sensor. If you feel like chasing your tail people, buy aftermarket sensors!
Please also realize that there are a TON of things that will trigger THOSE 3 things together (CEL, VSC, &TRAC off lights) that doesn't necessarily point to anything other than "Hey, something needs your attention!" Probably 15 or 20 different things that can trigger that combination.
Ok, I see where i mis typed in the first start of this thread. Here is the rundown. I originally had a P1150 at 126900 miles. This is the bnk 2 sensor 1 which is the vehicles fwd sensor in the manifold just near the radiator/fan. I figured while i am changing the bnk 2 S1 I would change bnk 1 S1 sensor as well, the one at aft manifold just above the pre-cat converter known as bnk 1 sens 1. This one was not showing a code but i just changed it anyway. I used a cheap after market sensor from Stylintruck.com http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts/re...converter.aspx. This is when the fight started, the P1150 went away and bnk 2 S1 is happy with the cheap sensor. However now bnk1 S1 now started having a code of P1135 AND P1155. Both bnk1 S1 codes for the heater circuit. That is when i hit the Forum here and learned about the Lexus having a "pissy" computer. So went with a Denso now (there actually has been a cheap sensor, a Bosch sensor and now the Denso sensor in there. The P1135 has cleared after the Denso was installed but P1155 remains to this date. I have been going after this for awhile because in the 2001 yr the VSC and Trac off lights come on in addition to the CEL light. Nothing wrong with the trac control or VSC just some twisted Lexus engineers idea to **** off the owners (according to dealer) So since the Denso is in there now and I still have a code, (yes i have cleared em and they come right back) I asked the dealer if flashing the ECM would fix the issue, he said no, I probably have a damaged driver in the ECM. Maybe my cheap sensor caused it, but it should have done the same with bnk2 S1. It is still in the vehicle and running very happy. My avg milage on my LCD display has gone from 20mpg with bad sensor to 29 mpg since installing Denso, but I haven't actually calculated it myself. I have tried putting original sensor that was not causing a lite back in (bnk1 S1), but it won't clear the code. Lesson learned if it ain't broke don't mess with it. I thought i was doing preventive maintenance but burned me for it. The sensor from stylintruck.com is working fine as far as i know, never has been a code for bnk2 s1 since i installed it. I have checked voltage at connecter on Bnk1 S1 (aft sensor) and all the voltage matches the bnk2 S1 (fwd sensor). I can't figure it out and am just about to cover the VSC, Trac off, CEL lites with some black tape so it isn't annoying me! hehe. I just need to remember to check CEL once in awhile to make sure nothing else is wrong.

Last edited by 2ks; 03-10-12 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-10-12, 11:45 AM
2ks
Driver School Candidate

Fair enuf, your opinion is appreciated. I am scouring the forum. This is what is confusing me!!!!!! Look at this link http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/lexus/. Shows P1135 AND P1155 caused by the SAME Sensor. Bnk 1 Sensor 1 (AFT) Sensor. However what you are saying in above quote is P1155 is the fwd sensor B2S1 the one the cheapy is in now. I will try a Denso in there as well and codes may clear. By the way i didn't have to go to Thailand back alley to get a sensor for $50. Here is another link that will sell em all day long at this price. http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts/re...converter.aspx.
Old 03-10-12, 11:49 AM
2ks
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know why vehicles need to call the sensors bank 1 and 2 anyway? I understand cylinder banks is where its coming from but why not just call it fwd pre cat, aft pre cat and fwd/aft post cat and eliminate the confusion. Manufacturer know they put the engine in sideways so why would bnk 2 be the fwd side and bnk 1 be the aft side of the block.???
Old 03-10-12, 11:56 AM
2ks
Driver School Candidate

Kevin, like RX (last poster in this thread), your story is hard to follow. You really need a better understanding of what the codes you are getting mean and what triggers certain CEL's. I do say, FOLLOW the advice of the others who have said GET RID OF THE AFTERMARKET SENSORS! If you decide to use good used sensors, for goodness sake make sure they're DENSO! (I am not suggesting used sensors!)
You say "the aft sensors code P1135 & P1155 came on". Do you realize you posted the codes for BOTH sensors, NOT for just the rear sensor. Those 2 codes are SPECIFIC for the HEATERS in both front and rear (B1S1 & B2S1) I should add right here that MOST Lexus DTC lists have an ERROR at this point, and it causes a lot of confusion. I suspicion this error came straight from T/L. I have sent a correction from their site to one of the major DTC code suppliers (one I use all the time and respect) almost a year ago and there never was a correction. The error is showing the explanation for P1155 as B1S1 and it is clearly supposed to be B2S1.
Please don't say you know it's NOT the sensor if you have aftermarket sensors in there. I also don't know where, outside of alley in Tialand, you could buy even aftermarket sensors (supposedly correct ones) for $50. apiece. A lot of the name brand aftermarket A/F ratio sensors are MORE expensive even than the Denso sensors, now that the Denso's have come down, even though the aftermarkets OFTEN are problematic and sometimes don't even work right out of the box. (Not terribly uncommon for them to throw codes when brand new, even though the only problem is the aftermarket sensor. If you feel like chasing your tail people, buy aftermarket sensors!
Please also realize that there are a TON of things that will trigger THOSE 3 things together (CEL, VSC, &TRAC off lights) that doesn't necessarily point to anything other than "Hey, something needs your attention!" Probably 15 or 20 different things that can trigger that combination.
GOT IT!!!!!!!n after reading this the 3rd time. (didn't make sense the first time to me) What is screwing me up is the code that remains P1155. It is for the Fwd sensor not the aft (rear). All the OBDII code lists i have been using DO have this as the aft (rear). I will quickly get a Denso for the fwd position and this should clear my problem, if not i will be here again with some confusion. Thanks for all the help, 2ks (Kevin)
Old 03-10-12, 12:35 PM
2ks
Driver School Candidate

Just on a whim put the original (B1S1) sensor (wasn't throwing a code at the first) which is a Denso from Toyota, back in the front spot, to see if it would clear. It is a used sensor i took out at the beginning of this mess. I never dropped it or anything but did splice the vehicle connector from this sensor on the cheap sensor i used in the beginning. Code still remains so i will order a new Denso now. Cutting the wires may have messed up the original sensor, who knows?? I will post here once the new Denso is in the front position (B2S1).
Old 03-10-12, 02:11 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2ks
GOT IT!!!!!!!n after reading this the 3rd time. (didn't make sense the first time to me) What is screwing me up is the code that remains P1155. It is for the Fwd sensor not the aft (rear). All the OBDII code lists i have been using DO have this as the aft (rear). I will quickly get a Denso for the fwd position and this should clear my problem, if not i will be here again with some confusion. Thanks for all the help, 2ks (Kevin)

Kevin, you mentioned testing the sensors with jumper wires between the sensors and the plug. I would HIGHLY recommend you not do that in the future because you may back feed voltage from the meter into the PCM and damage it. I'm not so sure you would damage the sensor, but the PCM is a whole different story.
Old 03-10-12, 02:22 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2ks
Does anyone know why vehicles need to call the sensors bank 1 and 2 anyway? I understand cylinder banks is where its coming from but why not just call it fwd pre cat, aft pre cat and fwd/aft post cat and eliminate the confusion. Manufacturer know they put the engine in sideways so why would bnk 2 be the fwd side and bnk 1 be the aft side of the block.???
Kevin, that same engine ( essentially anyway) was used in BOTH conventional (front engine, rear drive as well as front engine, front drive (crossways)) so they had to use a bank 1 and bank 2 designation that would work for both.
Old 03-10-12, 02:40 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

By the way i didn't have to go to Thailand back alley to get a sensor for $50. Here is another link that will sell em all day long at this price. http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts/re...converter.aspx.[/QUOTE]

Kevin, with all due respect, it's your money and your vehicle but the old adage applies here- "you get what you pay for". There are aftermarket sensors for your RX that sell for as much as $200. and actually used to sell for as much as $300. that don't even work a lot of the time. Why would anyone pay that kind of money for a sensor (that doesn't always work) if they could buy the same thing for $27.56 (the price on the site you linked)? That is ludicrous. I was able to buy 2 OEM Toyota sensors for my DIL's RX from the Toyota dealer by asking for an online price match of $150. ea. They sold them to me for $162. ea. when they listed for $225. to $260. depending on whether you bought from Toyota or Lexus. I did buy (originally) 2 DENSO universal that you had to splice the plug on. They assured me that they were the right thing. After paying $50. ea., they DIDN'T work so I threw $100. away because they said they were correct so they wouldn't take them back. I was unaware at the time that Amazon sold the Denso's but even then they were about $125.-$135. ea. at Amazon.

By the way, when you get the sensor situation fully straightened oput, IF you still have the lights, let me know and I'll give you that link to deal with it.

Quick Reply: 01 RX 300 Air fuel sensor code p1135, p1155