RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Leather Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-12, 11:03 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Leather Restoration

I just had a leather restoral guy repair the front seat leather/vinyl on my 2002 RX300. I think I lucked out with the company I selected and I'm really happy I didn't try to do it myself. It was obviously way beyond my capabilities to get a professional look. Some areas had the leather finsh worn off, others had minor leather cracking, and others had vinyl minor rips. And, I thought I had taken good care of it, but 10 years of use tooks it's toll.

Those of you in South Florida can check out my posting on the Florida ClubLexus forum. I thought I'd let you know that there are alternatives to DIY that are in the realm of resonable price (at least in economically depressed areas like South Florida).
Old 02-14-12, 11:37 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

The leather in my RX is perfect, literally everywhere except for the driver's side arm rest. That is worn.
The steering wheel is pretty worn, I want to try restoring the steering wheel this summer. I will eventually create a thread on this.
Old 02-14-12, 12:58 PM
trips1
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bob2200
I just had a leather restoral guy repair the front seat leather/vinyl on my 2002 RX300. I think I lucked out with the company I selected and I'm really happy I didn't try to do it myself. It was obviously way beyond my capabilities to get a professional look. Some areas had the leather finsh worn off, others had minor leather cracking, and others had vinyl minor rips. And, I thought I had taken good care of it, but 10 years of use tooks it's toll.

Those of you in South Florida can check out my posting on the Florida ClubLexus forum. I thought I'd let you know that there are alternatives to DIY that are in the realm of resonable price (at least in economically depressed areas like South Florida).
Can you point to the web link from the other forum.
Old 02-14-12, 03:35 PM
bob2200
Driver

Originally Posted by trips1
Can you point to the web link from the other forum.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/flo...e-broward.html
Old 02-15-12, 06:02 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Any Pictures?
Old 02-15-12, 09:50 AM
LA4Mead
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Leather Restoration

Mine is nearly 14 years old, 150,000 miles, and the leather has some character lines, but looks great with very little care. Maybe it's the color, mine is gray. The creme color seems to wear harder. On rare occasions I would clean with either Armor All, McGuires (best when you can find it) other leather/vinyl cleaner, or even furniture polish on a clean rag. I think any good quality leather and vinyl cleaner is your best defense, along with care not to poke or tear with things in your pockets and such. I do keep a towel on the seat tied around the headrest, as I dislike sitting directly on leather anyway regardless of cold or warm weather. I've always had the steering wheel covered with an inexpensive leather cover from Pep Boys that you have to stitch on yourself. It still looks great, and has a superior feel and grip. I thought the leather and vinyl in this car wears really well, I really don't have any worn spots, except where I've bumped the headliner when loading cargo, and even those scuffs are really minor.
Old 02-15-12, 10:08 AM
Transforma
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the best option for rip and crack leather on the seats? Leather tapes?
Old 02-15-12, 10:41 AM
bob2200
Driver

Originally Posted by Transforma
What is the best option for rip and crack leather on the seats? Leather tapes?
There may not be a "best", just trade-offs between looks and cost. What the Professional did on mine was use filler on the minor leather cracks and very thin tape with filler feathering the edges for the small tears in the vinyl. Then, matching "dye" applied with an airbrush. He used some glue to reduce the wicking on some spots where the leather dye had flaked off, before airbrushing.

It really wasn't as bad as it sounds. Most of the dye flaking was at the center of the driver's seat back where the seams converge. The vinyl tearing was by the seam with the leather where the seatbelt travels and on the door-side edge where my 200 lb. weight has flexed the cushion many times.
Old 02-15-12, 11:53 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by LA4Mead
Mine is nearly 14 years old, 150,000 miles, and the leather has some character lines, but looks great with very little care. Maybe it's the color, mine is gray. The creme color seems to wear harder. On rare occasions I would clean with either Armor All, McGuires (best when you can find it) other leather/vinyl cleaner, or even furniture polish on a clean rag. I think any good quality leather and vinyl cleaner is your best defense, along with care not to poke or tear with things in your pockets and such. I do keep a towel on the seat tied around the headrest, as I dislike sitting directly on leather anyway regardless of cold or warm weather. I've always had the steering wheel covered with an inexpensive leather cover from Pep Boys that you have to stitch on yourself. It still looks great, and has a superior feel and grip. I thought the leather and vinyl in this car wears really well, I really don't have any worn spots, except where I've bumped the headliner when loading cargo, and even those scuffs are really minor.
Do you have pictures of the steering wheel? Like I mentioned above, my steering wheel is starting to wear a little.