RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Where is my oil going?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-12, 04:48 PM
rsr2216
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is my oil going?

Gave my son our "99 rx. Has 162,000 on it now. last oil change he put royal purple in it. 1 oil change only. I since then I have got the car back' and changed the oil back to Valvoline high mileage. I drove it 700 miles and the oil is not showing on the dip stick. Not showing any signs of burning either. It has never used any oil before. Any suggestions?
Old 03-14-12, 05:05 PM
Nysc300
Rookie

Sounds like you have a serious oil leak if you are showing no signs of burning oil
Old 03-14-12, 05:21 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Are there any leaks underneath the car? If not, then you may have sludge. The car is unlikely to burn that much oil in just 700 miles, there has to be a major leak, or their is extensive sludge build-up. How often did you change the oil?
Old 03-14-12, 05:44 PM
rsr2216
Driver School Candidate

no oil leaks that are major. just some around the pan bolts. none on garage floor. I thought that if you had sludge build-up that when i poured the oil in that it would stay in the valley and drain slowly into the lower half. the oil was low on dip stick after sitting for a hour.the oil has always been changed between 3k to 4k since new. no ticking souinds, no idiot lights like i had on a 98 camery that had to have a short block put in from the sludge recall.
Old 03-14-12, 05:59 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

The only way to know for sure is to pull the valve cover's. But, if it's had oil changes every 3-4k, then sludge is likely nonexistent.

I suggest waiting overnight, and checking the oil first thing in the morning, without starting the car. Sometimes, the oil can take a while to settle after starting the car and give a false reading.
Old 03-14-12, 06:14 PM
varithms
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How fast is it burning off? I ran RP in cars and it bypasses the rings so I stopped using it.. RP is not that great for higher mileage cars if they are not started out with it. I would give a few more miles and possibly another oil change when it is due. Check for white/blue smoke on the first start of the day. Also check the pcv valve, If it is broken it may be inhaling the oil.
Old 03-14-12, 07:28 PM
rsr2216
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to all. I will check the pcv valve and see if that is broken. My son wanted me to use some lucus oil treatment for sludge. think i might wait on that. don't want anything to break loose.
Old 03-15-12, 03:34 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

If you want to use an additive, the only one I would trust is Auto-RX. The rest are pretty much snake oil.
Old 03-15-12, 06:24 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Keep us informed.
Old 03-15-12, 06:54 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

My opinion would be to try a really good cleaning oil such as, but not limited to; Pennzoil Ultra, Pennzoil Platinum, or my favorite.... Mobil-1 5W-30 high Millage (works great, but I did have an oil smell for a while). However to really know what`s going on as far as sludge, it would be best to pull the rear valve cover.

Last edited by lexus114; 03-15-12 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-15-12, 08:53 AM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

Before attempting a wild fix, I think one needs to determine the source of the problem. If the source can not be determined then you go by the odds. Then again one at a time.

Salim
Old 03-15-12, 11:12 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
If you want to use an additive, the only one I would trust is Auto-RX. The rest are pretty much snake oil.
Absolutely agree! Pull the FRONT valve cover to check for sludge. The same sludge is going to be in both sides of the engine. The rear is way too difficult to get to, the front is easy. The PCV definitely needs to be checked (probably changed, unless you've done it in the last 10-20K mi.) Should us High Mileage oil also with that many miles on it. Keep the RP away from it! Auto- RX is the ONLY additive I would use. I am not a fan of additives and figure if a GOOD oil is used you shouldn't need additives. Why do most vehicle manufacturers advise against using additives? Because they know more about it than we do. Listen to them! Auto-RX is the only exception to that rule.

Last edited by code58; 03-15-12 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-16-12, 09:19 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Add oil and monitor it again. If still, then obviously leaking.
Old 03-17-12, 02:16 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The thing a lot of people don't realize is that cars don't NECESSARILY smoke when using oil like they used to. The oil wasn't completely burned so it came out as blue smoke from the tail pipe. I have known of quite a few cars (more current ones) that use oil and show NO blue smoke out the tailpipe. The engines are run so hot today to get the fuel to burn completely, for emissions reasons (doesn't necessarily mean hot on the heat guage) that the oil is burned completely by the engine AND catalytic convertor before it ever gets out of the tail pipe. The "lean burn" is to get whatever is in the cumbustion chamber to burn thoroughly before it's ever pushed out the tail pipe. Cars today CAN smoke out the tail pipe, but it is very unusual, even IF they are consuming oil. What's the last time you saw a car driving down the road with blue smoke boiling out of the tail pipe like you did 30 years ago? Virtually doesn't happen even IF it is consuming oil, MOST of ther time. Ladies and gentleman, in case you haven't noticed, MOST of what you knew about cars from 20 years ago IS NO LONGER VALID!
Old 03-19-12, 08:53 AM
rsr2216
Driver School Candidate

recent update: talked to a lexus tech person with 20yrs at same dealer. He told me if the pcv valve was bad that it would be forcing oil into #1 or #2 cylinder and would show on the plug. Pulled #2 plug and it was fine. He said as far as sludge goes if oil was changed every 5k or less should have no problem. The first rx's off the line had valve covers that had smaller baffles for even oil flow. Lexus fix is to put a modified valve cover and gaskets on. Rear one being a jreal B**ch. He suggested to do 2 oil changes with 1/2 Valvoline HM and Pennzoil HM to gently clean any sludge if i was concerned about it. I guess that Pennzoil HM cleans very good but could be overly aggressive letting chunks break loose. Will try it and see. Might be 3 to 4 months tho. Thanks for all the help. If anybody has further suggestions i would like to hear them.

Quick Reply: Where is my oil going?