RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Is Lexus still assisting with transmission failures?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-12, 02:08 PM
jefrobie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Lexus still assisting with transmission failures?

Hi all, I have a 99 RX300 with 125K miles. Transmission just died and could use some input from the forum folks here. It is dead, filings, metal in pan...
It has been serviced on a regular basis. Just did a flush 15K miles ago. I know this is a weak link in the RX300. I have some options that I've lined out below.
And questions...

1. Reputable repair shop estimate of $3800 w/nationwide warranty of 3 years or 100K miles
2. AAMCO estimate of $3200 with 12/12 month warranty
3 Lexus dealership...(here is where I need some more input)

Estimate if Lexus does not assist in any way....$4500
Service manager had me call customer service and open a file. He said that they MAY help...He has seen anywhere from 10% to 50%....now I have this vehicle at the original repair shop (owned by a friend)...but the Lexus service manager is recommending that I transport the vehicle to them as he states it gives him more LEVERAGE to go to back for me. So what do you think? I hate to transport it and then have nothing done. If iit's a 10% reduction then they are still higher than the orignal shop, and do you think he's just blowing smoke or does it really give him more leverage?
The other and big question is, is Lexus still providing some relief on these repairs and if so, what is the average?
I'm also struggling with putting this kind of money into the rig, but it's probably not worth much without a tranny and the used car market is crazy high right now. And it's paid off! Thanks for any help and input. Jeff
Old 03-29-12, 02:25 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Somebody on this forum got Lexus to contribute substantially to the cost of replacement. Secret appears to be a history of regular service at the same dealer. Good luck. If Lexus doesn't help, and you are put off by the high price, try your friendly Toyota dealer. They can get the same part but their labor rates are typically cheaper.

Last edited by JAB; 03-29-12 at 02:26 PM. Reason: typo.
Old 03-29-12, 02:27 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Whatever you do, do NOT go to AAMCO.

Lexus does help out, if you run a few searches here you will see how much Lexus is offering for a discount (goodwill). Does your RX have a service history with Lexus, is so that will influence Lexus to give you more goodwill on the transmission.

Did you use Toyota Type-IV compatible fluid when the transmission was serviced? And, is your RX AWD?
Old 03-29-12, 02:45 PM
jefrobie
Driver School Candidate

I'd say that 80 % of the service has been done at a Lexus or Toyota dealership.
It is awd, and correct fluid was/has been used in flush....
Do you think the service writer is correct in saying he has more leverage by vehicle being on site?
Old 03-29-12, 03:15 PM
salimshah

Received 1,063 Likes on 957 Posts

This is a tough one, since the dealership will have leverage on you.

Which ever shop you go to, please remember to have the rear main seal of the engine replaced.

Worst case scenario

Towing fee to the dealer
Diagnosis fee
Towing fee back to the shop of your choice
loss of any good relationship with the shop of your choice.

You can press the dealership to discuss the above. My understanding is that they will charge you the price of the reman-transmission (through parts), credit you for the core, and charge you labor of removal and installation.

Opinion: I doubt they will give you a break on labor and likely give you 10% on parts.

Also look at what do gain by going to the dealership? Longer warranty? Loaner?
Ask your shop of choice, if you would be asked to go to Lexus to get the ECU flashed at the end?

Why flush? We at CL are strong proponents of drain and fill.

Salim
Old 03-29-12, 03:21 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
This is a tough one, since the dealership will have leverage on you.

Which ever shop you go to, please remember to have the rear main seal of the engine replaced.

Worst case scenario

Towing fee to the dealer
Diagnosis fee
Towing fee back to the shop of your choice
loss of any good relationship with the shop of your choice.

You can press the dealership to discuss the above. My understanding is that they will charge you the price of the reman-transmission (through parts), credit you for the core, and charge you labor of removal and installation.

Opinion: I doubt they will give you a break on labor and likely give you 10% on parts.

Also look at what do gain by going to the dealership? Longer warranty? Loaner?
Ask your shop of choice, if you would be asked to go to Lexus to get the ECU flashed at the end?

Why flush? We at CL are strong proponents of drain and fill.

Salim
I missed that the first time I read it.

Flushing the fluid in a transmission, is one of the worst things you can do for it.
Old 03-29-12, 03:42 PM
jefrobie
Driver School Candidate

My shop bud is ok with transporting down to Lexus, and his expense is covered by my towing insurance. If they don't step up on this and significantly beat his price of $3800, I will have him go back and pick it up and do the job. The Lexus warranty is 12/unlimited mileage, my friends shop can pick up a reman with a 36/unlimited miles warranty....that particular tranny is coming out of Northern Ca and cost is about $2700 to me, plus $1100 in labor. Lexus service manager has told me their parts dept would go down from $3600 to $2900 on their reman. I'm hoping Lexus will drop a grand or so against the bill...labor is a killer on these as the book calls for 14 hours. and if I do have my shop bud do it he would have to take rig down to Lexus to flash. Btw, what should I expect having the rear main seal replaced add to the cost?
Old 03-29-12, 03:58 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

The rear main seal should be cheap, since the labor consisted of removing the transmission. So basically you are only paying for the seal, you shouldn't be paying much for labor, most shops won't even charge labor when changing a rear main with a transmission or engine job. I believe the seal costs under $50.

BTW: make sure the remanufactured transmission has updated parts.

Last edited by hypervish; 03-29-12 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-29-12, 04:34 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Typically unless all service was done at Lexus, than dont expect any help.....That is what corporate told me when I tried....Lexus toasted me for $4200 back in 2001....NEVER DO A FLUSH>>>>>>sorry had to get that off my chest.
Old 03-29-12, 08:24 PM
lserlohn
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it is better to talk to the dealer first. if you serviced at dealer, you should know some persons, ask for help from them.

When you call Lexus, they will ask who told you the transmission is dead. They only trust dealership. So if you want a try, you have to tow to the dealer and let them to diagnose first. Yes, you have to pay the tow fee and diagnose fee, no matter if they help or not.

When you call, do mention that you own other Lexus cars. They will be happen to hear that..
Old 03-31-12, 08:43 AM
jefrobie
Driver School Candidate

Rig at dealer now. Waiting to hear from Lexus customer service on any goodwill.
Old 03-31-12, 11:42 AM
IndyRX300
Driver

Originally Posted by thomas1
Typically unless all service was done at Lexus, than dont expect any help.....That is what corporate told me when I tried....Lexus toasted me for $4200 back in 2001....NEVER DO A FLUSH>>>>>>sorry had to get that off my chest.

I know this is off topic and "too little ,too late" but

I agree on never flushing . Just a drain and fill. Flushing has been known to loosen up sediment in the transmission and sending it elsewhere throuhout the unit causing nothing but issues.
Old 04-05-12, 09:01 AM
jefrobie
Driver School Candidate

Thought I would post an update...I'm completely blown away by the service from Lexus. The local dealer went to bat, talked with customer service and Lexus will pay for the rebuilt transmission and I pay for the labor. Service tech said it will be about $1400 to $1500! Wow. Went from a $3500 to $4500 scenario to $1500. And they will install a new rear main seal ($29) at the same time. Blessed for sure....Should be ready to pick up tomorrow....
Old 04-05-12, 09:23 AM
salimshah

Received 1,063 Likes on 957 Posts

I am happy that things got resolved to your satisfaction.

Lexus is absorbing the cost, but there is a sobering thought ,,, The choice Lexus will make is:
1) impact it s bottom line (profit)
2) pass it back to other customers.

More than likely it would be both if not entirely #2.

Lexus customers should keep this in mind when Lexus charges a premium for vehicles, parts and service.

Salim
Old 04-05-12, 09:50 AM
jefrobie
Driver School Candidate

Well I would say above my expectation. I think their willingness to step up is to maintain a good reputation. As for profit, I'm sure as the 1st Gen RX300's are thinning so to speak, there may be more of a surplus of these tranny's, so maybe it's not so much of a hit for them? It also brings labor (which I am paying) into the dealership and gives them a connect with someone who may continue to be a Lexus customer! Certainly the case in our scenario. I drive a Chevrolet Duramax that folks get 250K plus out of that transmission! Certainly Lexus should be on par at least with their quality of build and if not should step up when a known issue is presented. Appreciate this forum, has been very helpful in not only this, but other questions I've had with our RX300!

Quick Reply: Is Lexus still assisting with transmission failures?