RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2001 RX 300 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-02, 02:41 AM
jblitz101
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Rx300

Greetings!

I just wanted to say Hello to everyone here. I am new to this forum but so far I find it very informative.

I have a question on 2001 RX's.

First, do they come with HID's?

Also, I noticed that the one that I am very close to purchasing has a CD Changer in the glove box, is this CD changer an option when new?

Does anyone have an Autostart in their RX's?

What brand of audio system is in the RX? Nakimichi?

Near the geashift I noticed a ECT snow button. During what situations would you engage this feature?

Lastly, what is the warranty on these vehicle? (This question posed to Canadian members as I am from Canada)

Thanks in advance!

John
Old 10-31-02, 07:05 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Can't answer all and my answers regard American spec cars but here ya go:

HIDs were an available option. The CD changer was also an available option and was present in many of the option packages (for instance, if you have the Nakamichi stereo, you also will have the CD as part of the package). The standard stereo in the car is basically a Pioneer tho called the Lexus Premium Sound System. The upgrade is the Nakamichi (highly recommended, btw).

The POWER/SNOW button is actually 3 position, including the center/normal position. It changes the shift map and, in the case of SNOW mode, the throttle position mapping as well as starting the vehicle in 2nd gear from rest. In POWER, the transmission upshifts at higher rpm for better perceived acceleration at part throttle (WOT is WOT and it'll shift at redline whether in normal or POWER). Also downshifts sooner. It doesn't magically add a few horsepower however. In SNOW, the throttle position mapping changes so that you actually accelerate much more slowly for any given throttle position, to help keep from breaking traction.

Don't have autostart; don't know about warranty in the Great White North, either.

You can also go to www.Lexus.com and look at Lexus' description of the car, its complete specs, and the various option packages that were available. Finally, you can run the VIN of your prospective purchase through the service computer at any Lexus dealership and find out service history performed at ANY Lexus dealership.

Enjoy your RX!!! Great car!!! And welcome to CL!!

Last edited by mooretorque; 10-31-02 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-31-02, 10:46 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

I'm going to clarify a bit more....

First, HIDs were only available on the Navigation package - if the RX you're looking at has Nav, then it has HIDs... and vice versa. If it doesn't have HID, don't worry - you can always retrofit based on tips here on the forum, or at the very least find some great looking halogen bulbs for the awesome headlights in the RX.

The Nakamichi sound system was VERY difficult to get if not IMPOSSIBLE on the '01 RX... years before '01 it was easier to get, but in '01 there was a falling out with Nakamichi and I don't even think there were any put into '01 RX's because the sound quality AND power of the Pioneer system starting in '01 (per my dealer). Notice this is the year Lexus switched to Levinson as thier premium sound system upgrade - there's a reason for that.
Also, if you want to upgrade the system (which sound quality-wise it can hardly be beaten, but if you want more POWER), you're better off going aftermarket.

Starting in '01, the RX DID NOT have a multi-position ECT switch - it has snow mode only... That is because ECT POWER mode kicks in automatically based on the RX's observation of how you are driving - drive fast and hard, ECT POWER will be engaged. This is for fuel consumption/conservation and user friendly purposes.

ECT SNOW is just as it says - engage it for SNOW... Not necessary for rain at all especially if you have AWD, plus you have VSC on the '01... All the ECT SNOW does it keep the wheels from spinning on aceleration by adjusting the transmission for slippery conditions.
Old 01-24-11, 10:21 AM
darthsden
Driver School Candidate

Its not fast, but the RX300 sure is pretty!
Old 01-24-11, 11:33 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ghosts of RX past!
Old 01-24-11, 07:48 PM
walkerman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Carver
Ghosts of RX past!
Hey Carver! I recently bought a 2001 rx300 awd. I found what I believe to be those same wheels on craigslist from a 2005 rx330. The guy says they are in perfect shape and wants $400.00 for them. Do you think they will fit an awd as well? Most concerned about rear strut clearance. Thanks, Steve.
Old 01-24-11, 10:41 PM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default HIDs

CK1 RX3,

My non-navigation 2001 RX300 (Silversport Edition) has OEM HID headlights. They were a $515 MSRP item on the original window sticker (which I still have).